Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
WOW I was about to buy these because of the advertised "Greater brightness" but now that they blow and arent that bright I will not waste the money. The forum saves me money again.
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #16
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
What you need to do is look into doing an HID projector retrofit. Do it the right way and you won't be sorry. I've had mine in right at a year now. No issues at all.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120440

Do a search as well. There are other threads out there about doing retrofits. AAC will even do them now.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #17
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwestofash View Post
I agree, i actually felt like i lost some light using them. I have no problem with the stock ones. I guess i just was so eager to get the HID lights i couldn't wait to get the nice white tint.

Does anyone have some recommendations for a cheap HID kit or lights for a 2011 1 LT camaro?
I too was gonna go with a HID kit, but I didn't like the fact of ballast blowing and the hassle of that.

I ended up just getting RS headlights and couldn't be happier.

I might be willing to part with my HOD bulbs if you can't find a alternative. Like I said getting rid of the yellow stock bulbs is great, but I wasn't impressed with the HOD bulbs in brightness in my honest opinion... Hope you can figure out a solution to get what your looking for.
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
I too was gonna go with a HID kit, but I didn't like the fact of ballast blowing and the hassle of that.

I ended up just getting RS headlights and couldn't be happier.
Even the OEM HID headlights have a ballast. They are integrated into the headlight assembly as apposed to being seperate though. The ballast can go out on an OEM light as well.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 12-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
Sirwestofash

Drives: afeafeafeafaefae
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Even the OEM HID headlights have a ballast. They are integrated into the headlight assembly as apposed to being seperate though. The ballast can go out on an OEM light as well.
For someone who doesn't want to deal with too much hassle and not get ripped off money wise. What is the best way to go in your opinion?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #20
caverman

I think ultimately the HID Projector retrofit is the way to go. It might cost you a little more than just the HID bulbs but ulitmately you'll have a great looking headlight when it's all done.

How do you want your headlights to look? Do you want them to look like an RS with a black background and halo ring? Or, are you good with the chrome halogen housing but with just the HID projector like I did?

Most people want the RS look and the Halo rings is what can get tricky and will also drive up the price some. I liked the chrome look which happens to be the cheapest way to do it.

If you like the RS look then alot of people end up going with the Eagle Eye headlights and then add an HID bulb kit to it. You can also have AAC do a retrofit for you plus you can have them add their Halo rings and paint the background a flat black. Those options start driving up the price though.

If you are good with the chrome look you can talk to either TheRetrofitSource.com or AAC. Both can do the install and with the basic chrome look they'll cost you about the same. Expect about $450-$500 using your current lights and you doing the harness, ballast, headlight install. If you don't want to go without lights for a while then you'll need to pick up some used halogens and send them off to have retrofitted. Proably a good week or two turn around. You can find some used ones off this forum for about $80. Then you can sell your OEM ones or just keep them in case you ever one to go back to stock (that's what I did).

Installing the wiring kit and ballasts are pretty easy. It's pretty much plug-n-play. You can see how to install the kit but looking at my thread I did a while back. Now this is the kit that just replaces the Halogen bulb with an HID bulb. This is a better option then just the Halogen but it's no where near as nice as a projector retrofit. The installation of the wiring harness and ballasts are the same. The only difference between just the HID bulb and a projector retrofit is that you'll remove/reinstall the headlight with the retrofit.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69917

Keep looking at the different options out there. You'll figure out what the best option is for you. Typically most people have been doing either a projector retrofit or the Eagle Eyes. From what I've see those are the most common upgrades.
Build Journal
Old 12-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #21
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
No kidding haha. I just hear and see of more people having trouble with aftermarket hid kits with ballast mounted somewhere in the engine bay than those integrated into the headlight housing.
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #22
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
No kidding haha. I just hear and see of more people having trouble with aftermarket hid kits with ballast mounted somewhere in the engine bay than those integrated into the headlight housing.
Agreed. I had a couple go out on me. It's been almost 1.5 yrs since the last one though. Luckily Oracle has a lifetime warranty on them.
Build Journal
Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #23
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I just want better headlights without costing me an arm and a leg.
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #24
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
I went through several sets of Putco's before giving up and going back to stock.
+1 Well... I went thru the Oracle ones.

Last edited by bandier; 12-28-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: added to it
bandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #25
Sirwestofash

Drives: afeafeafeafaefae
I think i'm going to get the retrofit from AAC with it painted black, i want HID lights and halos anyway. I just don't have 1500 bucks right this moment to get it done :'(
Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #26
caverman

Is that how much a set is from AAC?

I don't think they are that expensive. Have you contacted AAC to find out what their price is?

You can also talk with TheRetrofitSource.com to get them done.
Build Journal
Old 01-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #27
Rob191288

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I just recently bought them from AAC and I paid $1500 but I bought the hid retrofit, stock headlights since my car is my dd, amber halos, fog light kit with amber halos and a dual intensity circuit.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #28
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob191288 View Post
I just recently bought them from AAC and I paid $1500 but I bought the hid retrofit, stock headlights since my car is my dd, amber halos, fog light kit with amber halos and a dual intensity circuit.
1500$ You could of bought the stock rs headlights, harness and all other goodies. But i saw your pics and your lights do look kick ass
puertoricanfont is offline   Reply With Quote