Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
You are right the bushings need to be timed when the ride height is changed with the stock bushings. We have installed alot of the Pedder's drop springs it is not normal to have a noise.It is hard to say without looking at the car but I would say that on the front upper strut mounts there is a white spring spacer that needs to be removed to allow the upper spring to seat in properly it will also make the front set higher than it should.We see this in the shop,when the "installer" is not able to complete the job with the install,timing and the alignment.They want to hang the parts on the car then send the car somewhere else to get the alignment and noise problems fixed.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce@raymondsperformance View Post
You are right the bushings need to be timed when the ride height is changed with the stock bushings. We have installed alot of the Pedder's drop springs it is not normal to have a noise.It is hard to say without looking at the car but I would say that on the front upper strut mounts there is a white spring spacer that needs to be removed to allow the upper spring to seat in properly it will also make the front set higher than it should.We see this in the shop,when the "installer" is not able to complete the job with the install,timing and the alignment.They want to hang the parts on the car then send the car somewhere else to get the alignment and noise problems fixed.
I have some news :

Rob spoke with the shop owner, and tommorow I will be taking my car back to the shop to resolve the issues. I will let them reverse and move the car forward so they can hear the popping creaking noise, and they will be able to physically see that the car has a "reverse rake". The springs settled once I left their shop, but did not look as they did in the pictures, but over 24-48 hour time period, slowly settled to the stance the car is now.

Hopefully I won't have to come out of pocket on this one. I'm still wondering if the rear springs were supposed to drop the car that low in the rear. Everyone else's pedder coil spring setup on the rear with 22'' inch wheels doesnt have the fender sitting close to the tire like mine does.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #17
stros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Wow, that seriously looks installed backwards. I have 220033 (without rake) and your raked ones look lower than mine.

Regarding the creaking/clicking noise - they will not settle into the perch by themselves. The installer needs to make sure to seat the bottom of the springs so they will groove into the pre-existing grooves from the OEM stock springs. That fixed my noise issue.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #18
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
the bushings should should be loosened and retorqued with the full weight of the car on the suspension. but not doing this you can also prematurely ware the bushing out.
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #19
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
I have some news :

Rob spoke with the shop owner, and tommorow I will be taking my car back to the shop to resolve the issues. I will let them reverse and move the car forward so they can hear the popping creaking noise, and they will be able to physically see that the car has a "reverse rake". The springs settled once I left their shop, but did not look as they did in the pictures, but over 24-48 hour time period, slowly settled to the stance the car is now.

Hopefully I won't have to come out of pocket on this one. I'm still wondering if the rear springs were supposed to drop the car that low in the rear. Everyone else's pedder coil spring setup on the rear with 22'' inch wheels doesnt have the fender sitting close to the tire like mine does.
I installed BMR 1.0" drop springs on my car and I am very experienced with installing my own suspension. Absolutely no issues. I am assuming they forgot to put in the rubber insulators which would lead to noise and lower stance. Can you look at your rear suspension and check for this.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #20
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Couple things:

Stupid question, but do the springs have the rubber isolators installed? I'm only asking because I just went through this. TONS of noise without the isolators installed, but once you put the isolators on, the noise goes away. At least it did on mine.

Also, did you verify that perhaps the tech might have put the springs in backwards? I.E. front springs on rear, and rear springs on front? I don't know if that's possible, but never hurts to check.

You have aftermarket wheels installed, check to make sure your E-brake cables aren't rubbing on the inner lip of your wheels.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #21
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
I installed BMR 1.0" drop springs on my car and I am very experienced with installing my own suspension. Absolutely no issues. I am assuming they forgot to put in the rubber insulators which would lead to noise and lower stance. Can you look at your rear suspension and check for this.
The spring isolators were installed in the rear, I checked and double checked the day it was lowered.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #22
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Couple things:

Stupid question, but do the springs have the rubber isolators installed? I'm only asking because I just went through this. TONS of noise without the isolators installed, but once you put the isolators on, the noise goes away. At least it did on mine.

Also, did you verify that perhaps the tech might have put the springs in backwards? I.E. front springs on rear, and rear springs on front? I don't know if that's possible, but never hurts to check.

You have aftermarket wheels installed, check to make sure your E-brake cables aren't rubbing on the inner lip of your wheels.
1. The rubber isolators were installed, they were also installed correctly (2nd/3rd Coil from the top)

2. I do not believe they put the springs in backwards, I crawled underneath the car to make sure I had 220035's on the rear, and they are 35's.

I looked at the car this morning, and it LOOKS like the front has settled some more and now the car has a "Flat" look. But I am not going to jump the gun and get ahead of myself. I will be taking it to the shop this morning to get the stance and noise fixed.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #23
caliguy
Don't ask to pop my hood!

Drives: it's loud.......
Even tho i didnt use these springs, mine also had a creaking noise left front, it's been about 5months i had them installed and it kept making the noise when i turned the wheel left or right, i doubled checked everything and all was fine. Finally last week i was sick of the noise and sprayed some clear silicon/greaseless up there and it stopped finally!
Limo tint rears, 35% sides | B&G lowering springs | BowTies Blacked out | Red Footwells|Dome Light|Kicker 500Watts-Amp-Kicker 12" Ported Sub=BOOM| Stillin Splitter |Pssst 100 shot| 13.36 @102.7 @LVMS |
caliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #24
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I spoke with Rob late last night. We have it figured out. Rob will be calling the shop today to get this squared away. We are sorry for the inconvenience we have caused you.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #25
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy View Post
Even tho i didnt use these springs, mine also had a creaking noise left front, it's been about 5months i had them installed and it kept making the noise when i turned the wheel left or right, i doubled checked everything and all was fine. Finally last week i was sick of the noise and sprayed some clear silicon/greaseless up there and it stopped finally!
I may look into this, but I just can't justify having to do this with a two year old car with 2 week old coil springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I spoke with Rob late last night. We have it figured out. Rob will be calling the shop today to get this squared away. We are sorry for the inconvenience we have caused you.
Thank you Pete! I have an update :

When the shop took the front left strut/spring out, and indentified the "issue", they could not really do anything to fix it, so they took pictures, and forwarded them to you and Rob. Well apparently, after they put the spring/strut back in, the popping/creaking noises stopped completely. Also, from last Friday (the time the springs were installed), the car has continued to "settle" and the car actually has a "flat" look now.

I am still confused as to if this is how the car is supposed to sit with this spring setup. I have seen other Camaro's with the 32/35 front rear drop setup, and their car does not sit like mine does. But as of right now, I do not hear the popping and creaking noises anymore. Now on one occasion, I have heard a slight "creak", but nothing like it was before.

This leads me to believe, honestly, the person who installed the spring on that side the first time, installed it incorrectly. Unless they did something to groove out the pirch some more, if the noise stopped after reinstalling the spring, that points directly to installation error.

The car still has a slight reverse rake, but i am confident that you and Rob will get me on the right path, thanks Pete!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #26
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
I may look into this, but I just can't justify having to do this with a two year old car with 2 week old coil springs.

Thank you Pete! I have an update :

When the shop took the front left strut/spring out, and indentified the "issue", they could not really do anything to fix it, so they took pictures, and forwarded them to you and Rob. Well apparently, after they put the spring/strut back in, the popping/creaking noises stopped completely. Also, from last Friday (the time the springs were installed), the car has continued to "settle" and the car actually has a "flat" look now.

I am still confused as to if this is how the car is supposed to sit with this spring setup. I have seen other Camaro's with the 32/35 front rear drop setup, and their car does not sit like mine does. But as of right now, I do not hear the popping and creaking noises anymore. Now on one occasion, I have heard a slight "creak", but nothing like it was before.

This leads me to believe, honestly, the person who installed the spring on that side the first time, installed it incorrectly. Unless they did something to groove out the pirch some more, if the noise stopped after reinstalling the spring, that points directly to installation error.

The car still has a slight reverse rake, but i am confident that you and Rob will get me on the right path, thanks Pete!
The problem is on Pedders as we failed to provide better tech support to the Dealer. We know what the problem is and have provided the Dealer with the information they required or will this morning. When Rob and I spoke it was 1:30 in the morning and a bit late to call the Dealer. We are also sending a set of back up coils just in case the issue isn't what we think it is. Either way, your Camaro will be right after the next visit.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #27
patroklai
Enthusiast

Drives: Camaro SS | e92 M3
I'm new to the forum and going through threads trying to gain knowledge in these cars and upgrades. I just wanted to say I'm extremely impressed with Pete's / Pedders customer service. I've been a BMW guy for many years now (this being my first muscle car) and have never seen a sponsor stand up for their customer like this.

Kudos!
patroklai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #28
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroklai View Post
I'm new to the forum and going through threads trying to gain knowledge in these cars and upgrades. I just wanted to say I'm extremely impressed with Pete's / Pedders customer service. I've been a BMW guy for many years now (this being my first muscle car) and have never seen a sponsor stand up for their customer like this.

Kudos!
I meant to give an update on this situation, but I didn't get around to it. Pete, Rob, and the other members at Pedders customer service is beyond top notch.

When I called them, they immediately started working to find a solution and solve my problem, even contacting the shop that installed my springs.

Once they found the issue, they called me back to assure me that they would correct the issue in which they did. They shipped out another set of drop coils, and COVERED the LABOR that the shop would have had me pay to do another spring install.

I cannot say enough, how impressed I am with their customer service. And because of that, I am loyal to their products, and they have a life long customer/consumer for as long as I have a Camaro or any vehicle they make products for. Thanks Pete and Rob!!