Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #85
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
But, then it's not really an OE ZL1. Which kinda invalidates your comment about me getting beat by an OE one.
exactly.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #86
Bcruse84

Drives: 2013 red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
Auto or Manual?
Manual

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Bcruse84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #87
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
No, I still stick to my intial claim of getting beat or on par with an OEM ZL1. At 11.77, i would say thats pretty darn close to what you are doing. I was just making a claim as to what can be had for $1500 in terms of power and cooling for the ZL1.
Got it.. like I said.. I'm glad they're finally running these numbers. That's great.. I just wish, for their sake, that the cars could do it more of the year and in higher numbers.

I'd rather see hero runs of 11.4-5 and averages of 11.7-8.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #88
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
But, then it's not really an OE ZL1. Which kinda invalidates your comment about me getting beat by an OE one. Truly, I really don't mind it.. I would hope they're all faster.. They should be with how they're built -- plus, when my stuff goes boom, I'm on the hook for it.

I would have thought so as well, but I wasn't there and am not an engineer.. But, I think it's pretty obvious they overlooked or chose to ignore an issue that's killing the car in all but a few months out of the year.
I would say living in Chicago, there is certainly more than a few months of low 70* weather?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #89
69NMYSS

Quote:
Got it.. like I said.. I'm glad they're finally running these numbers. That's great.. I just wish, for their sake, that the cars could do it more of the year and in higher numbers.

I'd rather see hero runs of 11.4-5 and averages of 11.7-8.
You and me both, trust me, I am very bitter when I see these 12.5 runs from the ZL1, not something I was expecting when I placed my order . However, I realize it is a simple cooling problem, which can be fixed with an upgraded H/X or Super Chiller, although this shouldnt be a problem to begin with.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #90
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Motorhead with as many posts as you have where have you been man. We've been through this issue over and over since before summer. On one side you have the ZL1 owners who don't want to admit that the car has issues with the current HX and then there's the owners who planned to mod anyway (me) and realize that the HX issue has to be addressed. It would have been nice if Chevy would have offered a HX more up to the task but the car is still great regardless. As far as comparing a supercharged SS to a ZL1 it really is apple to oranges IMO. I've been in a few supercharged SS's and it's a completely different feel than a ZL1. I'm pretty sure someone who's been in both will probably say the same thing.
I know it's apples to oranges thus why I said straight line performance. I was only comparing two supercharged Camaros and how they perform in the same conditions in 1/4 mile.

THAT'S IT.

Lets no turn this into a bitch fest about the modding vs OEM, SS VS ZL1 or anything else. I applaud the OP's achievement, and that's smok'en fast for an OEM car in any conditions.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #91
HumanWiki

Quote:
I would say living in Chicago, there is certainly more than a few months of low 70* weather?
Certainly not this year.. There were days in the Summer where it was hotter here than Houston, Tx.. Though, now it's cooling off, but it feels like it's trying to jump right from Summer to Winter. Here recently, some of the local guys got to run in some excellent race weather we had... One guy in a C6 ran damn near 11s in his OE car.. It was just crazy.

I was meaning more for people that are in the South that have to deal with temps in the 70s-80s for their fall, 90-110s in summer and really only see 30-50s in like 2 months. Not to mention the humidity..
Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #92
HumanWiki

Quote:
You and me both, trust me, I am very bitter when I see these 12.5 runs from the ZL1, not something I was expecting when I placed my order . However, I realize it is a simple cooling problem, which can be fixed with an upgraded H/X or Super Chiller, although this shouldnt be a problem to begin with.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #93
69NMYSS

Quote:
Certainly not this year.. There were days in the Summer where it was hotter here than Houston, Tx.. Though, now it's cooling off, but it feels like it's trying to jump right from Summer to Winter.

I was meaning more for people that are in the South that have to deal with temps in the 70s-80s for their fall, 90-110s in summer and really only see 30-50s in like 2 months.
Point taken. I am included in those high temp areas, living in Fresno CA, its sometimes 110* and summer months seem to never end. .
Old 10-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #94
HumanWiki

Quote:
Point taken. I am included in those high temp areas, living in Fresno CA, its sometimes 110* and summer months seem to never end. .
I'm originally from SE Texas.. Having been here in Chicago for 7 years, I've really kinda lost my tolerance for that kind of heat.. I can see the air when I go for visits.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #95
motorhead

Quote:
This is what I was driving at with my questions and observations.

For that price they should have gotten that right. I hate to bring up the Shelby again ,but Ford took great lengths to make sure their car would perform in heat. If you say screw the grill in the name of a cooler running motor that's pretty impressive.

I just wish GM would have put more thought into that. I believe they invested more time in making the car handle which it does very well.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #96
kbar4782

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 00016
Me too. I just don't understand how GM likes to talk and talk about how extensive the testing on this car was and yet they missed the heat issue that took all of us about a week to see. I love my car don't get me wrong, but it just kinda ticks you off. Great run by the way OP!!
kbar4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #97
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbar4782 View Post
Me too. I just don't understand how GM likes to talk and talk about how extensive the testing on this car was and yet they missed the heat issue that took all of us about a week to see. I love my car don't get me wrong, but it just kinda ticks you off. Great run by the way OP!!
That's what happens when we see most of the spy shots from performance testing taking place during winter months
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #98
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I know it's apples to oranges thus why I said straight line performance. I was only comparing two supercharged Camaros and how they perform in the same conditions in 1/4 mile.

THAT'S IT.

Lets no turn this into a bitch fest about the modding vs OEM, SS VS ZL1 or anything else. I applaud the OP's achievement, and that's smok'en fast for an OEM car in any conditions.
Nobody's bitching man and this isn't going to turn into a bitch fest. When you comment expect a response. All I'm saying is that what you're asking has been chewed up and swallowed by the masses on C5. I don't know what GM was thinking. Maybe they knew about the heating issues maybe they didn't. It's really only an issue if you plan on actually using this car to it's potential. For the everyday Joe who's car is going to see a garage 360 days out of the year the HX isn't an issue. Even for the DD crowd who doesn't track their car the HX isn't an issue. I think that the ZL1 was hyped so much that something as easy of a fix as a HX upgrade shouldn't even be an issue. Time and effort was put into putting this car out and I have to say it was a success because it's a great car. Again a great car but not perfect. Oh and don't be afraid to through the GT500 into the mix. This car was made to be compared to it. Some people may be tired of hearing it but it is what it is. Sorry OP for getting so far off topic. Looking forward to seeing some more members get into the 11's.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote