Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #57
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Is there any camera surveillance at the dealership where the oil change was done ? Got to be very frustrating to say the least. Good luck

Last edited by 69 Hugger; 08-26-2009 at 07:06 PM.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #58
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
When was the oil change performed at the dealer? Typically they warranty the work they do, that is if a problem occurs (even on a vehicle long out of warranty) that can be traced to work within a certain time frame it is covered. It appears that this should be the case. I think you need to find the paperwork for the recent oil change and use that warranty to solve your issue.

Oh, and I love all the useless comments about how GM is bankrupt because of this, LOL, that is really helpful. This is obviously not a defect in manufacturing, it is a mistake that a dealer made that he is trying to get out of covering. Go back to the dealer who changed the oil and make them honor their warranty. That is their obligation, not GM's.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #59
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
If you don't mind me asking, I see you live in Boise, which dealership sold you the Vette and which one did you have your Camaro ordered through? If you don't want to publicly call the dealership out, could you at least PM the name. I lived in the area for nearly 8 years and am curious as I had dealings with most of the Chevy dealerships from Twin Falls all the way to Caldwell.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #60
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
I read this whole thread, and you have all accurately and inaccurately debated the multiple issues. I may have forgotten, but the cause of this whole ordeal was the delay of your Camaro, which led to the purchase of the Corvette, which led to having it serviced by official GM Garage, which in turn, messed the car up?

Yes, the dealer did it, but it's GM's responsibilty right?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #61
mamaro

Drives: '10 IOM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ View Post
Well I could see that the dealers need to have time to improve based on customer ratings...but it would be good if the public could see a "Preferred Dealer" list based on customer feedback...not so much to be driven away from a dealer receiving low ratings...but to know where they could go based on dealers that earn high customer ratings. The recent ebay experiment was largely a flop, but one good thing about ebay is that you can see seller ratings, which do inform buying decisions in that venue.
That's what we need. You'd see a lot of dealers trying harder. Price is not everything.

Almost 4 years ago, we bought a Silverado at our local dealer. I have never gone to a dealer to purchase a vehicle without doing a lot of research first, but my husband needed a vehicle desperately, and we didn't have the luxury of time, and he wanted a new Silverado. I actually had heard by word of mouth about this dealer around town from people that would never go back to them. We weren't happy with our experience, and it reflected on the survey we returned. About a week later, we got a phone call from the salesman. He was upset because we had given him a bad rating, and he said the bad rating cost the dealer and cost him. Not sure how that works. He said we should have talked to him before filling out the survey! The thing was, he was not well trained, didn't know what he was talking about.

This dealer is one that will no longer be a Chevy dealer next year. He's the only Chevy dealer in our town, and I hate to see that, but I'm glad as well because their customer service sucks, as does their service department.
mamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #62
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaro View Post
That's what we need. You'd see a lot of dealers trying harder. Price is not everything.

Almost 4 years ago, we bought a Silverado at our local dealer. I have never gone to a dealer to purchase a vehicle without doing a lot of research first, but my husband needed a vehicle desperately, and we didn't have the luxury of time, and he wanted a new Silverado. I actually had heard by word of mouth about this dealer around town from people that would never go back to them. We weren't happy with our experience, and it reflected on the survey we returned. About a week later, we got a phone call from the salesman. He was upset because we had given him a bad rating, and he said the bad rating cost the dealer and cost him. Not sure how that works. He said we should have talked to him before filling out the survey! The thing was, he was not well trained, didn't know what he was talking about.

This dealer is one that will no longer be a Chevy dealer next year. He's the only Chevy dealer in our town, and I hate to see that, but I'm glad as well because their customer service sucks, as does their service department.
Based on what you said, it is a good thing that particular dealer is going away. Unfortunately for other small dealers (some of whom are very good albeit they cannot offer the discounts of the larger 'volume' dealers) most of the closures are based on sales volume, not how well they serve their customers.
MikesZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #63
diddiyo

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Let me quote myself

Serious, yall take the fanboism to a certain degree to the point common sense is no longer there
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #64
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Whatever...I feel bad for you, and sure I hope your Vette gets fixed, I really do. It's a kick-ass car when there aren't dealer's rags in the oil system.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #65
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
Dragoneye, I completely understand what you and others are saying about it being the dealer and not GM.

However, after having attended somewhere around 18 bajillion quality meetings in my lifetime-

A) There is no bright line between the producer and the sales floor to a customer. You are your product and your product is you.
B) If a customer has a problem with your supply and service chain, they have a problem with YOU.

Considering the details here, if I were GM I would have at a minimum started an inquiry to confirm the dealer's service department caused the issue. If I found out the dealer caused the issue I would have applied serious pressure to get the dealer to fix the issue. If they resisted I would have fixed it and charged the dealer. The parts in italics would have been invisible to the customer.

If you have a problem with the dealer then GM has a problem with the dealer. If GM really wants to get the stigma of crappy CS behind them, then they have to embrace and deal with issues like this. It's a 'GM Certified Mechanic' working on the car right?
Okay, let me start by saying I DO agree with everything you said above.

But...I refuse to put all the responsibility on the company/retailer/etc. The customer is NOT...yep, I'll repeat it, and I've been in sales for a while now, the customer is NOT always right. Sometimes, the customer needs to use his/her brain (and I'm NOT insinuating anything) to recognize that difference. The fact that they don't results in companies having to put "hot" labels on steaming-fresh coffee cups, or "do not put in water" on hair driers to avoid being sued for faulty product and/or inadequate labeling.

The Vette was a used car. This automatically puts GM at zero fault, because it's had a life after the factory. Yes, it was probably put through the 121-or-howevermany point GM-derived inspection, and yes the mechanic was a certified GM tech. BUT...just because somebody has a piece of paper labeled "GM license to repair" doesn't mean they aren't an idiot. "You have to be smarter than the tool you're using". And they don't work for GM, rather for the dealer who (as mentioned before) is a private enterprise. To make such a bold statement as "I'm never buying GM again", makes 0 sense...I just didn't get it, it wasn't a vehicle defect that caused his problem...it was a defective mechanic.

And, btw...GM dealers as a whole stand very high in consumer satisfaction and service ratings. Well above the imports...that's not to say there isn't room for improvement, as evidenced by this scenario. I'd like to meet the guy who stuffed a rag down a $70,000 car's throat.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #66
logan1080

Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
You probably got bad info for whatever person you talked to about the warranty, one person says one thing and the next person you talk too will say they were wrong. As far as you complaining about the Camaro sitting and others getting theirs before you. OH WELL that shit happens, your car got flagged for additional testing big deal this happens in business but its clear you don't get it either that or you're a spoiled brat who believes you should have everything your way. Like I said my car sat in QC for over 40 days and some people got theirs before me and didn't have to sit in QC. Oh well no need to be mad about it, just cause its the same car as yours doesn't mean yours didn't need extra attention. GET REAL sir.

And another thing the warranty is 3years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first. Thats most warranties on any car so no one has to do anything for you, so quit thinking just because it has low miles they should cover it. It's clear it's pasted the three year mark. Either understand how this works or STOP buying cars all together because no company GM, Toyota, Ford or BMW is going to give you special treatment because you think you should get it. Plenty of people are buying expensive cars your not the only one.

I don't car if my sat car in QC for a month, I am mad because it sat saying available to ship (out of QC) for 22 days as guys had their cars built and shipped in the same day. Very frustrating. I don't car if someones car sat at the same place for a 100 days, it doesn't make it right. Once again I am not mad at the GM company for putting the rag in the oil system I am mad because they say my car does not have enough kilometers on it to be covered. When you say the car is off warranty and I am a spoiled brat for thinking I should get warranty, well explain why I WOULD GET WARRANTY if the car had 2K more kilometers and was off warranty for another month. OBVIOUSLY they still cover vehicles in certain cases after warranty. MY ISSUE WITH GM, NOT THE DEALER, IS THAT THEY SAY MY CAR WON'T GET WARRANTY UNLESS IT HAD MORE MILES AND WAS OFF WARRANTY FOR LONGER. To me that makes no sense. One would think the chances of getting covered would increase with less miles and having been out of warranty for less time, apparently not. GM didn't just say, "Nope, your out of warranty so your out of luck!). They said, "sorry sir, not enough miles and car isn't old enough for us to cover it". Now my issue with the DEALER is the fact that it has only been serviced but GM dealers so I believe it is the DEALERS responsibility for the rag being in the oil pan. If the previous owner had given me receipts of work that had taken place elsewhere, well that's a different story. But the only records on it were done at GM goodwrench locations. Now whether I will buy GM again or not depends on how this is handled. IMO, I get my idea of how GM is through the dealers, can't say I have had to many experiences with GM directly, can you? The dealers are GM, they make it what it is. They represent the customer satisfaction, GM service, how kind they are to customers. IMO the dealers and the people who work there make all of the auto companies into what they are. What ever you guys think, I feel I should not be the one stuck with this bill and I do think that GM should hold some responsibility as they were, as far as the history shows, the only ones to pop the hood and do anything to this car.

Last edited by logan1080; 08-26-2009 at 10:54 PM.
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #67
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super83Z View Post
Does he? Did all of you miss the part where the GM employee stated that GM probably wasn't even notified about the situation? Its a far more common practice than is known.
No I didn't. I still agree with him. The dealership represents GM, even if it is a franchise. So while GM may not be directly responsible it's still their name on the line. Did you miss the bit where he said he got a call from GM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Okay, let me start by saying I DO agree with everything you said above.

But...I refuse to put all the responsibility on the company/retailer/etc. The customer is NOT...yep, I'll repeat it, and I've been in sales for a while now, the customer is NOT always right. Sometimes, the customer needs to use his/her brain (and I'm NOT insinuating anything) to recognize that difference. The fact that they don't results in companies having to put "hot" labels on steaming-fresh coffee cups, or "do not put in water" on hair driers to avoid being sued for faulty product and/or inadequate labeling.

The Vette was a used car. This automatically puts GM at zero fault, because it's had a life after the factory. Yes, it was probably put through the 121-or-howevermany point GM-derived inspection, and yes the mechanic was a certified GM tech. BUT...just because somebody has a piece of paper labeled "GM license to repair" doesn't mean they aren't an idiot. "You have to be smarter than the tool you're using". And they don't work for GM, rather for the dealer who (as mentioned before) is a private enterprise. To make such a bold statement as "I'm never buying GM again", makes 0 sense...I just didn't get it, it wasn't a vehicle defect that caused his problem...it was a defective mechanic.

And, btw...GM dealers as a whole stand very high in consumer satisfaction and service ratings. Well above the imports...that's not to say there isn't room for improvement, as evidenced by this scenario. I'd like to meet the guy who stuffed a rag down a $70,000 car's throat.
I agree with every you said except for the bold bit. GM is at fault because the mechanic who works for the dealership works as a "subcontractor" for GM. While they didn't directly hire him, a party that represents them and acts as a public face for them did.

Sh*t happens. OP's mad and I would be too. I would swear off the dealership and give them as much bad publicity as possible there are step by step instructions on the site somewhere) and eventually get it fixed. So while it's GMs fault, it's THAT SPECIFIC DEALERSHIP (a small part of the GM machine) that you should be mad at.

Last edited by manimsoblack; 08-26-2009 at 11:38 PM.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #68
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
I Would have that cloth analyzed ...then compare to those used as " shop supplies" by that dealer and hand the report over the the owner. After that a trip to a lawyer.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #69
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
I'm not understanding the hatred of GM though. Do you think that the other companies are better? That no one has had similar expeiences with Ford or Chrysler? I've been pretty ticked lately myself and even criticized but to say you'll never buy GM again? And all because some local dealer gave you poor quality service?

If you ran GM, who exactly would you hire to run your thousands od dealerships around North America? Locals right? And they would be responsible for hiring employees.

I know you're pissed. I would be too, but it's local service you should be pissed at, not GM. If you bought a new car that was messed up and your dealer couldn't fix it and GM refused to help and it was under warranty THEN be done with GM but you're dealing with a poor dealer.

logan1080, if your Camaro was delivered the day after the Papa Johns pizza promotion, then your hatred towards GM could be more justifiable..
Old 08-27-2009, 01:24 AM   #70
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
I see what you mean Logan. That is messed up. I overlooked that fact that they say you don't have enough miles. If I were you I'd seriously put the amount required for them to honor the warranty.