Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Okay maybe that's what I'm doing wrong Now I feel really stupid. LOL
Don't feel bad lol, I didn't know about that either. I've had the car for 4 weeks now and I'm still learning a lot about it. Thanks for the tip Rodimus!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #16
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Did you hold in the reset button to relearn the tires after chaning out the air for nitrogen?
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
Abygale

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Did you hold in the reset button to relearn the tires after chaning out the air for nitrogen?
No. That's where I messed up. I'll do that when I go out for lunch in a bit
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #18
redjewel

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Quote:
No. That's where I messed up. I'll do that when I go out for lunch in a bit
You will need a device to scan each sensor or you will need to increase or decrease the pressure in the tires to acheive the reset. If you press the button to reset and you do not complete the reset in appropriate time you will get a message in the DIC to service your tire monitor system. If you don't have access to a scan tool then you need to have access to air or more nitrogen.

BTW I had my pressure checked at a Discount Tire location and they use a computer driven inflator to set air pressure. That is pretty accurate. When I got in the car the sensors all read 36 psi except one at 35psi. As I drove and the air pressure went up they all equaled out after about 20 minutes of driving to 41 psi. I think the sensors are pretty accurate.

Last edited by redjewel; 09-25-2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Add to
redjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #19
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Local tire store told me that working RF tire pressure sensors will always read more accurate than the gauges we always used to use. You buy this?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #20
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjewel View Post
You will need a device to scan each sensor or you will need to increase or decrease the pressure in the tires to acheive the reset. If you press the button to reset and you do not complete the reset in appropriate time you will get a message in the DIC to service your tire monitor system. If you don't have access to a scan tool then you need to have access to air or more nitrogen.
No you dont. You just press the button and it sets. At least mine did the couple times I did it. I didnt touch anything.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #21
redjewel

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
No you dont. You just press the button and it sets. At least mine did the couple times I did it. I didnt touch anything.
When you hit the reset did your horn honk twice? When you hit the reset the computer goes into "learn mode". Can't find them right now but a couple of threads talk about them hitting the reset button and then taking it to the dealsership because they did not "relearn" the sensors. If you hit the reset button and your car does not honk twice and go into "learn mode" then your car has an issue. I will look harder for the threads.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...essure+monitor

If you hit reset the computer should and is supposed to go into learn mode and other steps are required to finish the procedure.

Last edited by redjewel; 09-26-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Post thread
redjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #22
Abygale

Drives: .
Okay, I did this today and my car honked twice and took about 2 minutes to "relearn" the tire pressure. All my tires were the same at that time but the car was warmed up. I just checked the DIC again with my car cold (hasn't been run in 6 hours) and all tires are at 37 except for that back left one which is at 35. This is terribly frustrating and I'll just mention this to the service department next time it's in. Thanks everyone for all the help!
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #23
fee5fofum

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Coupe & 2SS/RS
Quote:
Okay, I did this today and my car honked twice and took about 2 minutes to "relearn" the tire pressure. All my tires were the same at that time but the car was warmed up. I just checked the DIC again with my car cold (hasn't been run in 6 hours) and all tires are at 37 except for that back left one which is at 35. This is terribly frustrating and I'll just mention this to the service department next time it's in. Thanks everyone for all the help!
That's what mine are set at 37 psi cold and i also i the same problem you do with at one tire ( back or front ) being low by 1 or 2 psi but when I'm out driving around all 4 most of the time reads the same psi at around 39 and they do vary though out the day between 39-41 ..
fee5fofum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #24
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
The benefit of having nitrogen,is that it shouldn't matter if the tires are hot or cold.Nitrogen does not expand and contract like regular air does.It is also a larger molecule,and will not leak out 1 or 2 pounds a month like regular air.

Did you ever get that sensor replaced ?

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #25
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Yeah, but a pound or so off might be normal.

As long as its like this one, it should be good to go.

Your not a professional racer (I dont think) so 1 or two pounds isnt going to be noticable anyways.
How often do you have your guage calibrated? a mechanical guage will experience wear over time causing the readings to be off... Believe me I worked as an instrument mechanic for many years mechanical things like guages will be off more often then electronic sensors... as long as the electronic sensor is calibrated correctly the first time it should give a more accurate reading than any mechanical guage over it's lifetime.

You have to drive your car at over 30 MPH for 5 to 10 minutes for the readings to cycle a couple times and give you a more accurate indication. just after startup after sitting the reading is not as accurate because it only reads the pressures every couple hours. while driving it is every 5 minutes.