Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Tuning Takes Years to learn even with Proper Training and you MUST have and engine building background and understand the dynamics of an engine before you start tuning cars.

Ted.
That would be like someone saying im goona read a book on pharmacy and then start dispensing drugs. That ain't gonna turn out so good.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #16
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
That would be like someone saying im goona read a book on pharmacy and then start dispensing drugs. That ain't gonna turn out so good.
Love your Avatar,maybe he needed help from the old cooties...AARP.
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #17
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i would rather just pay some body for tuning. less stress less problems and i know its done right
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #18
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Grinder, contact Tampa Tuning on here....he does re-tunes for a fraction. Also, for a home course Masporst has by far the best book on tuning. Do a google search.

Bob;s school is good, but the Dan Mas book is the most detailed and best approach I have seen.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #19
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
Are you using the same shop every time?
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #20
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
I think shops that do retunes with dyno's for free are nut's. thats a big money loser.

We do the ignitial tune and then retunes for $150 which are full street/dyno tunes.If a minor change is made I'd say wait till more is done.

I can see free retunes through e-mail since they take minute's to do. Only problem you don't really know if they are right till you scan or dyno the car.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #21
GrinderSS
Account Suspended

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Grinder, contact Tampa Tuning on here....he does re-tunes for a fraction. Also, for a home course Masporst has by far the best book on tuning. Do a google search.

Bob;s school is good, but the Dan Mas book is the most detailed and best approach I have seen.

Thanks SC2150. I ordered the Dan's book, it's a good deal.
GrinderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #22
GrinderSS
Account Suspended

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
I'm an electrical engineer by degree and practicing mechanical engineer, so I think I'm capable of doing it. The only problem is finding the time to learn it.

Comparing tuning an engine to pharmacology is a stretch; chemical engineering is at least an order of magnitude more complex.
GrinderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #23
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinderSS View Post
I'm an electrical engineer by degree and practicing mechanical engineer, so I think I'm capable of doing it. The only problem is finding the time to learn it.

Comparing tuning an engine to pharmacology is a stretch; chemical engineering is at least an order of magnitude more complex.
Anybody could learn how to tune there car correctly. Just takes alot of time and getting the right info.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #24
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
This is Precisely why I run the Program I run, buy your parts from me and tunes for those parts are FREE.

This Helps out the Hobbyist Immensely and give them more money for Parts.

Tuning Takes Years to learn even with Proper Training and you MUST have and engine building background and understand the dynamics of an engine before you start tuning cars.

Ted.
, hopefully my Camaro is back at your shop soon.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #25
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinderSS View Post

Maybe so, but tuning is not for the faint of heart. Mess up and you may have a mess on your hands. There's no replacment for experience.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 AM   #26
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Maybe so, but tuning is not for the faint of heart. Mess up and you may have a mess on your hands. There's no replacment for experience.
True, but how does one get experience? Lot's of times I get it by messing up!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #27
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Dyno tuning is the best thing you can do. Putting a car on the dyno takes time and so does tuning it or retuning it if your doing it right. If that shop makes 450 per dyno tune and spends 2 hrs retuning your car he has lost money on the day if he doesn't charge for his service.
Mail order tunes are not as involved as putting a car on the dyno and should not cost anywhere near the same.

Tuning software is a good idea if your going to be constantly doing things to the car. You already have a base tune and if your not doing something drastic then it will only take subtle changes to tweak the tune. You do things in small increments and you learn. This is what schooling is and we've all done that before.

HPtuners and the other tuning software suites also have their own support boards where tuners hang out and help people.

You need to record certain events, diagnose and make changes from there. You need equipment to do it. The car needs to be monitored while its driving at partial throttle and this is where a mustang dyno or a load bearing dyno comes into play. You can simulate real world driving in the shop.

Otherwise what you do is drive and log analyze and tweak and drive and log, analyze and tweak.... repeat.
If your truly like to tinker on the car then you would like the tuning software.

Dependiing on the system they use mail order tuners can do the same thing.. they need to record and make changes from the readings they see. It takes longer this way but can be very effective as well. As with any tune be it remote or in person the tuner needs to know what they are doing. Tuning carbuerators on Fords for a lifetime doesnt make you an expert tuning GM EFI systems so tuning experience should be relevant to the object your trying to tune.

We charge 450-500 for a dyno tune, 175-300-500 for a retune all depending on what changes were made. If we have to spend another 2-3 hrs to make it right again thats about the same amount of time of the original tune.

Our tunes are done by one of the very best on the West Coast..Wongs Performance Engineering..
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #28
DSX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Z06
Getting charged for a retune is typical, but as stated, your tuner is charging way too much... unless you're making significant changes (like redoing an entire setup).

Buy HP Tuners, start reading the forum, and go from there. Hell, I'll help you for free. Positive displacement blower cars are a joke to dial in.
DSX is offline   Reply With Quote