Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
St33lsinger
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 1 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
No problems and no tunes for me. I enjoy sipping a little less fuel on highway cruises. I also enjoy my warranty.
+1

Had: 69' RS, 78' Z28, 98' SS Have: 2010 1RS/SS
St33lsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #16
Blacknight11

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS
AFM

I got my tune today and let me tell you it sounds great after tunning out the AFM. I can't beleive how the car runs now. I spoke to my dealer and they indicated a tune does not mean your entire warrenty is gone. Its all about customer service. They have already fixed items from other camaro's with tunes.
Blacknight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #17
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I found no difference in actual fuel economy when I had AFM tuned out. In fact, i think the fuel economy improved because I had the car tuned for the headers and intake on the car (at that time). The car was making more power than at stock and could therefore run at lower rpms to achieve the same speeds as when itbwas stock.

While we're talking about it... for anyone who is leary of getting a tune, you really should take a ride in a Camaro that has been tuned by a knowledgable tuner. It makes an incredible improvement to the car, imho. I would never go back.

I understand why many are afraid to void their power train warranty. That is a valid concern. To me it seemed the warranty was there to stop me from having fun with my car. I was very lliberating to void it. I love modding my car!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #18
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
got my a6 tuned, had the amf/dod tuned out. Made a big difference love it now
woodside783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #19
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I've never noticed the AFM on my A6 SS. There's finally an aftermarked DROAN FREE exhaust ( Solo J-pipe ) which I just installed. Fantastic sound without the factory mufflers, and my power train warranty stays intact.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #20
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
It was very liberating to void it.
Amen. I love it more than when I first got it. I actually feel a little bit sad for others that I see driving around because they don't realize how neutered their L99's are.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #21
OverZeaLouS

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS & 16 acura TLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSSEST View Post
Amen. I love it more than when I first got it. I actually feel a little bit sad for others that I see driving around because they don't realize how neutered their L99's are.
Is the AFM also the culprit for the sh1tty throttle response that tends to happen in certain parts of the driving experience? Have u felt any improvement in throttle response?
OverZeaLouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #22
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverZeaLouS View Post
Is the AFM also the culprit for the sh1tty throttle response that tends to happen in certain parts of the driving experience? Have u felt any improvement in throttle response?
The stock tune and AFM in combination cause various issues while driving. I could always tell when AFM kicked on while cruising because my rear view mirror would vibrate and I could feel it in my feet. Although the AFM is supposed to function "seamlessly", it does not and there is a definite lag when you hit the gas. At slow speeds it makes the exhaust sounds ridiculous. Despite the fact that I drive the car harder with it turned off, my gas mileage has gone down 0.3 MPG overall. AFM is consumer snake oil and detracts more from the driving experience than it is worth.

I'm sure there are plently of great tuners around, but unless you know of one or are referred by another 5th gen. Camaro owner, that can be scary to trust your car to a stranger. I went with an emailed semi-custom tune from Jannetty Racing. My only other mod is a roto-fab cai. For around $400, you can get an SCT hand-held tuner from Jannetty which tranfers the custom tune into your car after you email him your stock tune. What you get is worth twice that. Love it. PM me if you want any more details.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #23
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverZeaLouS View Post
Yes it is...

Although, I will take the cost of moding and tuning to lose AFM than I would have to pay gas guzzler taxes.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #24
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
AFM works fine..they have used it in trucks for years. My experiance has been that with a good tune, you can turn if off, and not see a loss in fuel economy. The tuner makes the engine run better, and be more efficiant, so it uses less power.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #25
CruiseControl

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Can someone explain to me - in an otherwise stock car, how can a simple tune make a car run better and more efficiently? Why would GM opt to introduce AFM technology in the Camaro to avoid the gas guzzler tax, when they could supposedly (as per many opinions on here) just tune it differently?

The only 3 explanations I can fathom are:

1) it actually isn't more efficient to tune out AFM
2) the 'tune' is more efficient but would put the drivetrain under more stress than it is built for
3) GM's engineering team is either apathetic with tuning or has simply made a poor decision in opting for AFM.

I would tend to trust GM's engineers. In no way am I knocking those who have tuned though - I realize that most people with tunes also have other mods on board.
CruiseControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #26
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
You have to remember the factory tune has to satisfy a lot of different requirements besides ultimate performance. Things such as noise, vibration, and harshness, emissions, and warranty all play a role in how the car is tuned from the factory. It's a game of give and take. Sure the engine can run better with an aftermarket tune that has more aggresive timing and trans shifting. However would that ssatisfy the emissions, NVH, and durability tests that GM also needs a car to pass before it can make production? Likely not.

If you get an aftermarket tune on your A6 Camaro, it likely will be more fuel efficiant because the car is leaner, and the trans is tuned to shift better. However GM cannot do that because it would not meet whatever emissions standards they have to meet or they feel a car running leaner or shifting harder is

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
Can someone explain to me - in an otherwise stock car, how can a simple tune make a car run better and more efficiently? Why would GM opt to introduce AFM technology in the Camaro to avoid the gas guzzler tax, when they could supposedly (as per many opinions on here) just tune it differently?

The only 3 explanations I can fathom are:

1) it actually isn't more efficient to tune out AFM
2) the 'tune' is more efficient but would put the drivetrain under more stress than it is built for
3) GM's engineering team is either apathetic with tuning or has simply made a poor decision in opting for AFM.

I would tend to trust GM's engineers. In no way am I knocking those who have tuned though - I realize that most people with tunes also have other mods on board.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #27
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
Lots of owners complain about hearing the aggravating noise of the AFM going from 8 cylinders to 4. Myself, I can't even tell when it does.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #28
VTimHokie85

Drives: 2010 SS/RS L99 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by first one View Post
Lots of owners complain about hearing the aggravating noise of the AFM going from 8 cylinders to 4. Myself, I can't even tell when it does.
I cant either. But before my Camaro i drove a 4 cylinder car so maybe im used to it?
VTimHokie85 is offline   Reply With Quote