Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #29
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Well ima try it.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #30
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDan View Post
If you're trying to sell it, I'd refrain from using words like "tossed".. These things are pretty delicate.
LOL... it's actually in the bubble wrap bag that the new one came in... I don't really care if I sell it or not... someone around here will need it and I'll give it away...
Old 07-22-2011, 05:45 AM   #31
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
PMs sent to those that requested them. The "strong" MAF sensors are getting fewer and further between now that people are seeking them out but we can track them down on a case by case basis. Just hit me up.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #32
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
All you did was get a maf that reads DIFFERENTLY (note: not better) then your old maf. Apparently, this fit more or less better into the pre-defined tune tables in the stock tune. A dyno or street tune from any tuner would fix this, as there isn't anything wrong with the original maf.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #33
Camarowguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCoke View Post
All you did was get a maf that reads DIFFERENTLY (note: not better) then your old maf. Apparently, this fit more or less better into the pre-defined tune tables in the stock tune. A dyno or street tune from any tuner would fix this, as there isn't anything wrong with the original maf.
Are you sure? Vararam advertises with their intake and a weak maf sensor they have problems. Problems like I'm experiencing. So I'm just wondering.....did you yourself have a weak maf on a Vararam and try the strong one only to feel no difference? Btw, if the reaction time (which is what is different from what I gather) is slower on a weak one, no tune is gonna fix that. Just sayin......
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Old 07-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #34
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Vararam's problem is due to the nature of the box. I have the exact issue Vararam has (shitty part throttle and cruise driving) when I have my ram air duct open. Basically all that air is being forced into the intake pipe, but since your throttle body is closed at part throttle or cruise, it has nowhere to go. While this is great at WOT because the engine is sucking air in, at part throttle it just causes the rammed air to get extremely turbulent inside the intake. This will throw MAF readings all to hell, and is why I have a threaded cap on my 4" ram air pipe that is sealed into my airbox. When I'm ready to race, just remove the cap, and it's good to go. No more turbulent air readings, no more erratic cruising and weird stuff happening. It's literally night and day with the cap as far as drivability goes.

Has nothing to do with a maf being 'weak' or 'strong', they just read air differently. Case in point: no one has MAF issues at WOT with the Vararam.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #35
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Can't speak for the vararam as I have a cai. Inc I can say my car dogged it at all driving conditions including at wot. It no longer does after swapping out the maf. After swapping back and forth as in my original post nothing was helping. I have no tune or any other mods. The new maf made all the difference for my particular situation.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #36
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDan View Post
If you're trying to sell it, I'd refrain from using words like "tossed".. These things are pretty delicate.
mlee could toss Me all night long!

LMFAO!!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #37
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
LOL... it's actually in the bubble wrap bag that the new one came in... I don't really care if I sell it or not... someone around here will need it and I'll give it away...
Well if your just going to chuck it...SUPRBAD will take it!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #38
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
I have no tune or any other mods. The new maf made all the difference for my particular situation.
Precisely what I'm getting at. The new maf is feeding your pcm different air numbers, which makes your car run better, because they fit what your pcm whats to see.
Not stronger, or better. Just different

A tune would negate the MAF change completely, as you'd tune the car to the air/MAF.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #39
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
ok i have a question. does this only affect the l99's this is something new to me i am reading. i am asking cause i see alot of you have the aa and also i know the l99 has that fuel saver thing so i am wondering if that is why there is a weak maf. correct me if i am wrong or said something wrong. thank you
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #40
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
So if my car has been tuned, you are saying it would do me no good to. Change the maf????????!! Check my sig for mods!!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #41
Wild Bill

Drives: Camaro 2015 RS CRM
I also have a "Stong" lightly used MAF. I bought a new one without checking the number. $45.00 shipped anywhere in the USA.

I also have 4 brand new, in box, GM center wheel caps for the midnight silver SS wheels. I went in a different direction and never installed them. All 4 shipped anywhere in the USA, $40.00.

PM me if interested.
6000 - 7/17/09
See my Thread in New York Metro Area.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33878
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #42
Camarowguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCoke View Post
Vararam's problem is due to the nature of the box. I have the exact issue Vararam has (shitty part throttle and cruise driving) when I have my ram air duct open. Basically all that air is being forced into the intake pipe, but since your throttle body is closed at part throttle or cruise, it has nowhere to go. While this is great at WOT because the engine is sucking air in, at part throttle it just causes the rammed air to get extremely turbulent inside the intake. This will throw MAF readings all to hell, and is why I have a threaded cap on my 4" ram air pipe that is sealed into my airbox. When I'm ready to race, just remove the cap, and it's good to go. No more turbulent air readings, no more erratic cruising and weird stuff happening. It's literally night and day with the cap as far as drivability goes.

Has nothing to do with a maf being 'weak' or 'strong', they just read air differently. Case in point: no one has MAF issues at WOT with the Vararam.
Can you post some pics of your setup? I'm interested to see what your talking about. My car actually drives fine, no bucking at all. The only issue I have is the lack of response when the throttle is cracked open suddenly. The only thing I can relate it to is back in my carburetor days, if the throttle pump wasn't adjusted right...or didn't have a big enough shot, it would hiccup, pop back, or hesitate. This is my experience.

I just ordered one from the local dealer. He went pulled it out the package and it had k11 on it....so I should be good to go. The list price was about $75, but being I work in the parts dept and order parts from them all the time I got it cheaper. Let's just say it was below $60. I'll have it by lunch time and I'll give you guys an unbiased opinion. At least this will put it to rest for me.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo