Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #701
woodstock

Drives: 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessey Performance View Post
Nitto 20 inch drag radials: 12.11 @ 116.1 mph with a 1.81 60 ft. time.

This car made 467 rwhp thru the factory auto transmission on our Dynojet dyno a couple of days ago.
Respectable numbers,with a few add ons the 11 second mark is not far off.
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #702
rrg9946

Drives: 2011 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
Besides the fact they are ugly, the mustang is kinda a guiedo car like a Viper now. Especially with signed glovebox crap..

Couldn't resist. And this pick is from this forum
Attached Images

rrg9946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #703
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by assasinator View Post
i am floored by this. the car will run faster. 117mph traps. its slower than i thought.

launch control doesnt work it appears. maybe the 13 GT500 launch wont work either. i seriously believe this car will be faster that a gt500 when the bugs are fixed. IF NOT. chevy has ruined themselves.
So you take a car that weighs as much as a truck and put 580 flywheel hp in it and it doesnt go 10 seconds and you say gm has ruined themselves, I am not seeing the correlation.
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #704
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Did they paint everything white?
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #705
rrg9946

Drives: 2011 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx View Post
Did they paint everything white?

Looks like it. Like Vanilla Ice
rrg9946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #706
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
You mean that one article that said anything stall about being a generation ahead? Hate to break it to you, but the Camaro, including the ZL1 version, is still a pony car.
Your entitled to your opinion, you may want to look again at the mag list of reviews...
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #707
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Gt500 and ZL-1 are direct marketing competiors period. chevy raised the stakes and ford re-raised.

The GT is faster than the SS stock an nobody says crap about MY in that argument. For me to give a rat A$$ about the GT500 it has to drive better than a ZL-1.

I am 99% sure it will not. If I though it would I have have canceled my ZL-1 order and ordered one last month.

making you car run well in the quarter is not that spectacular of a recipe. it is alot harder to make a car drive well balanced.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #708
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
Gt500 and ZL-1 are direct marketing competiors period. chevy raised the stakes and ford re-raised.

The GT is faster than the SS stock an nobody says crap about MY in that argument. For me to give a rat A$$ about the GT500 it has to drive better than a ZL-1.

I am 99% sure it will not. If I though it would I have have canceled my ZL-1 order and ordered one last month.

making you car run well in the quarter is not that spectacular of a recipe. it is alot harder to make a car drive well balanced.

BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #709
Paco
Banned

Drives: Chevrolet's, Ford's and one Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketCutlass View Post
I didn't say they needed to get 20k miles on them to run good times, and I don't care how much you think they are broken in from the factory. Fact of the matter is they DO get faster with mileage. The motor is not the only thing that needs to loosen up for them to get faster. Wheel bearings, trannies, diffs, accessories like the p/s pump (well not for the ZL1) and a/c, altinator, even u-joint and bushings. Every part that has to do with moving the car needs to wear in for it to reach it's full potential.
Yes obviously things break in a little. Which is why I said cars come out of the factory 90% (or mostly broke in) in my first post. But your acting like its going to pick up 5mph and .5-.7 in the 1/4 simply from that.

Sorry to say....you're not..

Its seat time for the average driver.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #710
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx View Post
So you take a car that weighs as much as a truck and put 580 flywheel hp in it and it doesnt go 10 seconds and you say gm has ruined themselves, I am not seeing the correlation.

did you even read what i said?

i said if it doesnt go faster its a mistake by GM. i think it will easily eclipse a "V".
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #711
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
if only GM could find a way to make the ZL1 300pounds lighter....then it truly deserves the ZL1 name. Now, since many seem to be touting its a roadcourse car (damn the GT500), it is more like a Z28...finding Z28 parts on the ZL1 makes one suspicious.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #712
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkman555 View Post
I am currently smoking a camel nonfilter. They are avaible at many gas stations and grocery stores but CVS usually has the best price , so check your local CVS.

Was I expecting the magazines to post mid 11's ? No. Was i expecting some magazines to post times .1 tenth slower then a stock SS ? Hell No. Was I expecting professional and possibly the best drivers at Hennessey performance to post mid 12's ? no.

What GT500 are you talking about ? The 11' / 12' ? Well either way you make no sense , because the 13' is the ZL1's matchup .. The possibility of the 12's smashing ZL1's is quite possible. And you said that stock SS'es can beat the 11/12 500 ? I remember a YouTube video of an LLT beating a GT500. With that said , the GT is manual only and there are a ton of people who don't know how to drive them properly. Equal drivers -- I think it's not even a debate that the current 500 will beat the SS every time given equal variables . And with what's been documented on the ZL1 , it is also quite possible that the current 500 will have no problems with the ZL1. So let's not talk about the 13' 500 because I assume (with all the hatred I have for the mustang) , that it will a beast that the buyers requested.

you got to still be smoking something stronger then a camel. because I never said the SS would beat a gt500. I said it would beat it off the line. it's called TRACTION. the GT500 passes the stock SS by the 60 foot mark. but as for actually starting from a stand still the SS has more traction then the gt500.

The ZL1 is not a track car , period. It is the flagship Camaro , and people are buying them for 60k sometimes higher due to markup. If I spent 60k on a ZL1 , and found out an SS with a few hundred bucks worth of bolt ons could beat me on the drag strip , I would not be happy -- given you can get an SS with 2k miles on it in the high 20k range.

It's not a track car? how so. a 12 second pass isn't a track car? wow. where has this country gone with reality. Heck what about all the road courses? few hundred bucks to run? headers alone are a few hundred. 400-1200. plus you lose the warranty. ugh just because you're not willing to spend 60k doesn't mean it's a waste. just means you don't want to spend your money on it.

For those that say times don't matter -- then like I said , get an SS or LLT. They all look the same (for the most part). Spending 30 grand to cut .5 off an SS time IS A HUGE DISSAPPOITMENT. I know the handling and all of that is better , but does that justify die hard camaro fans spending 30k + for what was supposed to be , and hyped up to be -- a monster.

I love it. this car handles with 1g on the skid pad and has an amazing lap time at the ring. and you still say it's a disappointment. I guess you only care about the 1320. the 1320 is like pre-ej*** Something you don't really want. it doesn't last long enough.

Chevy fell short on this , and I think it's a slap in the face to people that have Chevy in their blood , and checks to give them.

I am not arguing about this because I know some people will never accept the reality that the ZL1 isn't what YOU thought it would be -- and as of now (some may prove Hennessy , and every major magazine wrong) it isn't worth 60 grand.

It isn't worth it to you, because of acceleration in 1320 ft. do you judge everything by just the 1/4 mile? sounds like it.

The break in period thing -- I dont think .5 will come off after a thousand or so miles. Didn't the 12.5 bone stock SS run happen a few weeks after they came out ? I'm sure some drivers will post good numbers , but I will have to disagree with you -- the zl1 is CURRENTLY a dissapoitment To YOU , and there are too many facts to deny this.

you're right. there are plenty of facts to deny the zl1 is a disappointment. even your subconscious knows you're wrong.

So. . .a green automatic car with a suspect dyno sheet makes a 12.4 second pass. and you're already throwing in the towel. the manual is already known to be faster with a good driver. on a green car also. Sounds like you wanted GM to fail and can't take more FACTS to come to a different conclusion.

this car isn't worth 60k to YOU. so why are you in this section? to down GM? sorry. not enough passes by common people have come out. I've personally seen slower GT500's at the track. So take your disappointment and move on. judging a car on magazine runs and one shitty pass is absurd.

Again go launch a 580 hp car and tell me how easy it really is. My 4th gen with 350hp (est) at the wheels wasn't that easy to launch until I learned the car. So because I pulled a 12.5 pass with roughly 350 hp at the wheels a 580 hp car is a disappointment. right. my car also was around 3300-3400 lbs. along with a completely different suspension and aero.

Look at the dyno sheet for this automatic ZL1. There's a drop in power at 4500 rpms. Thats not normal. Part of me believes it has something to do with break in. but I have nothing to confirm that so speculating. I do think the 12.4 pass can be improved upon. but considering the auto ZL1 is still faster then mag times for the gt500. . .your disappointment is kind of absurd. Especially since we don't know what mode they launched in (need to recheck to see if they posted it up). any way. they will post another time soon. their promise.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #713
Python 1

Drives: ZL1 at home and happy
So we have an automatic zl1 with 3.23 gears turning a 12.5 and that is bad? I think not, how about we put 3.73 gears in that same car and see what times it then turns. You will get more parasitic loss with a 3.23 gear than you would with a 3.73. Now ask yourself other than reducing the GG tax with the 3.23 why might chevy be a little slow to put 3.73 in that same car. I will answer it for you, can you say 11.5 or less in stock config. now how many manuals you going to sell to help the average mpg when the auto would be half a second faster. food for thought
Python 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #714
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
if only GM could find a way to make the ZL1 300pounds lighter....then it truly deserves the ZL1 name. Now, since many seem to be touting its a roadcourse car (damn the GT500), it is more like a Z28...finding Z28 parts on the ZL1 makes one suspicious.
It's called the Alpha platform. Zeta is just heavy.

So this car runs a road course better then a GT500 and that's def an area it does better then the stang. it should be labeled something it's not?. the ZL1 deserves the ZL1 name due to HP rating. The Z28 was never the most powerful camaro. the ZL1 was back in 69. and Now the current ZL1 has more power then that did.

The ZL1 was going to be the Z28. until someone realized that the Z28 name did not fit with the car. The Z28 name is closer to the 1LE, but with a more powerful engine and Naturally aspirated.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
700hp z28 strip car, zl1 track car