Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #99
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3TKE View Post
I cancel my order and bought a Vette and I'm so glad I did the Vette is 10 times better than any ZL1 . I bought a centennial edition 2012. GM should've had the car ready before they started taking orders it's ridiculous that six months have gone by and my order still has not been picked up well it's canceled now. and loving the Vette
Congratulations in the purchase of an awesome car but I wouldn't say it's ten times better or at least qualify it. It is ten times better for your purposes.

It wouldn't be ten times better for me, that's why I sold my Z06 int he first place. The ZL1 is a better fit for my needs and a great car in it's own right.

Best of luck with the Centennial Edition, they are great cars!
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #100
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
I cancel my order and bought a Vette and I'm so glad I did the Vette is 10 times better than any ZL1 . I bought a centennial edition 2012. GM should've had the car ready before they started taking orders it's ridiculous that six months have gone by and my order still has not been picked up well it's canceled now. and loving the Vette

well - we're certainly glad that you chose a Corvette - -

.....but - how do you know that "...the Vette is 10 times better than any ZL1"?

(....unless someone let you drive a CTF - and if you had driven one, I don't think you'd say what you just said )

I don't know of any manufacturer that has "..the car ready before they started taking orders......." That's not how this business works. Again, we could have just shipped the cars and said "the heck with it......" - but that's a very short-sighted approach.

No question that the Corvette is one heck of a car.....that said, there ARE differences. One of the things I like best about the Camaro (versus the Corvette) is the 'livability' -- The Corvette has it in aces when it comes to visual appeal and handling.......BUT -- it does come with a price (again, in my opinion) and that's the road noise and ride at 70mph. One of the things that we got loud and clear when we started work on the 5th gen is that the car had to remain a Camaro - BUT - it had to be more refined over the 4th gen.

When we met our fellow enthusiasts at Camaro5Fests and the Oshawa Homecoming, I lost count of the number of people who raved about how comfortable the Camaro is on a long trip - AND - how, at 70mph you can have a conversation with your passenger in the right front seat using a normal tone of voice.......

It all depends on looking at the various elements that each car offers - and then making informed choices. I love the Z06 and the GrandSport --- but for living with a car from day to day - Camaro's my choice -- and the ZL1 makes it even clearer in that the ZL1 is probably the best riding Camaro we've ever produced. (while in 'tour' mode!)

Best of luck with your Corvette and we hope you'll have many, many miles of smiles - and again, thank you for choosing GM and Chevy!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #101
Edwin320

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
there are actually three radios - (I don't think I'm out of bounds talking about this - if I am - sorry fellow team members)

The LS still gets the radio that we use in the 2010-2012 Camaro. It includes a CD player.

There is a touch screen standard in LT/SS/ZL1 models. It no longer contains a CD player. (there isn't 'real estate' in the existing I.P. to offer both the touch screen and the CD player - that's been part of the heartburn for some time....)

There is an OPTIONAL navigation system available for LT/SS/ZL1 models as evidenced in the press release.
It may be too early to ask, but any idea if the touch screen / navigation system can be retrofitted to an older car (in my case a 2012)?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #102
ezleeinfamous

Drives: 2012 ZL1
*fbodfather* I appreaciate all the work that everyone has put into the ZL1 in every aspect. I do have a question for you though: Seeing that the 2012 and 2013 are 99.8%the same car minus the new touchscreen radio...

WILL THE 2012 ZL1 owners be able to purchase and have the new factory touchscreen radio installed at a later date? Thanks

Either way I am 2012!!! I've been without my 2010 SS for over a year now..sold it soon as the ZL1 was announced.

Last edited by ezleeinfamous; 03-28-2012 at 11:00 AM.
ezleeinfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #103
N3TKE

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS CAMARO,72 NOVA
Let me reframe my words I am 10 times happier that I bought the vette I still have my Camaro SS which is highly modified 700 hp with suspension upgrades very happy with the SS . after waiting so long I found that it was kind of ridiculous for me to buy another Camero which I love. as far as road noise at 70 miles an hour I think there about the same. to me the vette is very comfortable and the field of view out the windows is much better but that's my opinion I am very happy with the Vette and very happy with my SS it was kind of ridiculous to me to be buying another Camaro in the long run the weight help me think things out . I would've loved to have bought the ZL1 but I am very happy with the Vette
N3TKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #104
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Wow y'all amaze me. Yes I understand your frustration.
Imagine for the ones who ordered a 2010 had to wait 9 months.

Gm is trying to put the perfect car on the road. For you wanting a early vin. Your car is built and it will be delivered just let them perfect it and you will receive your AWSOME car.

Y'all would be dieing if you were in our shoes in 10
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #105
Janet

Drives: 2015 Z06, 06 Silverado,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeemego View Post
Janet,

When I visit CA can I get a ride in your ZL1?

Gary
Welcome to C5 Gary. You know that when you come to CA & ride in my car, you just end up buying one, so come on out

Janet
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #106
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post

Gm is trying to put the perfect car on the road. For you wanting a early vin. Your car is built and it will be delivered just let them perfect it and you will receive your AWSOME car.

I remember very well.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #107
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Quote:
Let me reframe my words I am 10 times happier that I bought the vette I still have my Camaro SS which is highly modified 700 hp with suspension upgrades very happy with the SS . after waiting so long I found that it was kind of ridiculous for me to buy another Camero which I love. as far as road noise at 70 miles an hour I think there about the same. to me the vette is very comfortable and the field of view out the windows is much better but that's my opinion I am very happy with the Vette and very happy with my SS it was kind of ridiculous to me to be buying another Camaro in the long run the weight help me think things out . I would've loved to have bought the ZL1 but I am very happy with the Vette
Now that's the best of both worlds. I am envious!
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #108
Faulkner

Drives: 2500HD 2016 Z06
I think GM's plan was to delay the ZL1 to drive Corvette sales.
Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #109
dirishboy
as in Irish European

Drives: 2012 ZL1
In reference back to the original OP

I have a 2012 ZL1 sitting in Canada just as I had a 2010 SS sitting there in 09 and I fully accepted, in advance, that I would see my car sitting in QC for a few weeks just like I did in 09. The delay doesn't bother me.

Am I considering cancelling my order? No

Did I expect that there would be upgrades on later models? Sure
As others have stated the back-up sensors were added mid-year on the 2010s

Did I expect that upgrades would be announced prior to me even getting my car? No

That is the only part in all of this, after the initial swirl of emotions settled, that still irks me. I feel it's a bit of a mis-step from the GM marketing team.

I understand they are trying to convince people that may be swayed towards a Boss to wait a few months for the 1LE and those wanting a better Info-tainment system to pre-order a 2013 ZL1 but for those of us waiting on a 2012 ZL1 it is still a little bit of poke in the eye.

Waiting a few weeks until we had our cars and were too busy driving them to notice the other announcement might have been a better approach IMHO. In 09 we had our cars months before the upgrades were announced at which point it was a non-issue for most of us.

Again understand and appreciate the need, just wish it could have been delayed a wee bit
Old 03-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #110
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
I walked in to my local Chevy dealer on Saturday. The sales guys, receptionist, Asst Sales Manager, etc. all recognized me right away and greeted me appropriately. One of them asked if I was finally coming back to buy the Z06 carbon edition I have been eyeing every weekend for the past 4 weeks. I said nothing and walked straight into the Sales Manager's office and told him that because of all the hush-hush crap about why the ZL1 can't even make it past the chicken fence when all but 1 pre-production ZL1 that Chevy has let various media entities sample have been touted as awesome...I told him I am cancelling my ZL1 order. He had a shocked look on his face and I can tell his brain was scrambling to find the right words to calm me down and to keep the faith. Then he smiled and said, "Man, you got me going for a bit there. You don't have one on order, you are waiting for the 2013 ZL1!!!" He said two of his three 2012 orders are going straight outta of state, buyers paid $10k over MSRP. Local guy who got ordered one paid MSRP.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #111
PNYSLAR
Summit White 2012 ZL1 M6

Drives: 2010 BLACK 2SS/RS M6 Delvd 8/24/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post

I was in your shoes in 2010 (8 months) and now I'm in MY shoes again!
Ordered Oct 29th 9:00A.M. and still don't have a build slot
How bout them apples
2012 Summit White ZL1 Manual 6sp Blk 10 spoke, "Thanks Champion Chevrolet" delivered 6/9/2012 #1588
PNYSLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #112
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
For our very first Disciple meeting our youngest member had graduated from college the day before she got on the plane to travel to Detroit. I am one of the oldest, if not the oldest at age ummm....ummmm....old. I no longer actively race, but I believe I can still handle a Z06 and hopefully a ZL1 on a racetrack.

Just as Camaro5 covers the full spectrum so does the group of Disciples. Our job is to represent all of you.
Janet
Thank you, A younger generation voice needs to be added to the Disciple but you just answered that question. I'd add 1 or 2 others who are in the 18-25 range though. Keeps things fresh...
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wgas about a radio