Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #281
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport2010 View Post
Um...what exactly is it that is so concerning about this frontal crash video? The car appears strong - passenger compartment appears fully intact after the crash, you can see the curtain airbags inflate as they should etc. Yes, front end gets smashed as it should, but panels stay on, wheels stay on etc. Anyone who thinks this is bad needs to see a C6 Corvette crash video - those fiberglass geezermobiles completely disintegrate upon impact - panels, doors & wheels fly in all directions.
You can't determine anything about a crash test by "looks". Think about the term "crumple zone". It allows parts of the car to crush in on themselves to dissipate energy before it reaches the humans inside. So the car will look completely smashed, but the people inside are fine. On the other hand, imagine a car that didn't dissipate any energy. It could stay completely intact, but much more energy would be transferred to the humans, turning them into jello. There were some earlier posts concerning the g forces and pressure loads experienced by the dummies posing as driver and passengers. Then you'll see why the rating was a 4-star rather than 5.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #282
gold5000000

Drives: n/a
i agree with what supersport said completely
gold5000000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #283
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Question::::::::
Seems that they tested the V6, will a V8 test be done?

-bobby
Old 08-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #284
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Lol safety features.

Other than a seatbelt.... They should have just gone with a 5pt harness option to loose the airbags ^_^
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #285
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Something to chew on....this 5-star rating crash test is not infallable.

For example, the 4thgens used to have a 5-star rating...till GM "depowered" the airbags in the later years to reduce passenger impact upon deployment. They earned only 4 stars after that...but the passengers were actually safer.

We have yet to hear the full story...but I'm suspecting something like this is the case with the 5thgen. You don't engineer something to do one thing, and have it go wrong. They were keenly aware of the level of safety expected from this vehicle...I don't think they messed up.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #286
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I want more information other than the title of a YouTube video. After all, I can post the same video and put 3 star rating in the title.

From what I've heard and seen it looks like the Camaro is holding up well in crashes. I saw a post where someone hit a tree really hard in the front and it definately totalled the car yet he walked away with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmadl View Post
Broke my back, both of my wrists, my ankle, and suffered a concussion. I guess I'm just glad I'm alive.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31883

No offense, but I wouldn't consider a broken back, two broken wrists, a broken ankle, and a concussion as "walked away with no issues."
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #287
Unfair
Banned

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Um...what exactly is it that is so concerning about this frontal crash video? The car appears strong - passenger compartment appears fully intact after the crash, you can see the curtain airbags inflate as they should etc. Yes, front end gets smashed as it should, but panels stay on, wheels stay on etc. Anyone who thinks this is bad needs to see a C6 Corvette crash video - those fiberglass geezermobiles completely disintegrate upon impact - panels, doors & wheels fly in all directions.
How many times are people going to say it's not what the car looks like after the crash it's the energy that gets trasnferred into the cabin?

on another not why do i feel that if a challenger or a mustang for a 4 star frontal crash test rating you guys would be going wild on it? Unfair if you ask me
Unfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #288
GTengineer

Drives: 2004 Z06
Quote:
Ignorance on a complete new scale right there.

Trying reading the thread next time so you don't look silly. Have you ever wondered why race cars "crumple" during crashes? BTW a Corvette is not in the same weight class as a Camaro.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #289
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
I find it disturbing in this time and age, that people base the decision to buy an automobile on it's crash test rating.
I personally am not buying the car, thinking hmmmmmmm I think today I want to crash into the neighbor's car.
Instead I say look at that nice car, and it has a great engine in it too. Wow!

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #290
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Something to chew on....this 5-star rating crash test is not infallable.

For example, the 4thgens used to have a 5-star rating...till GM "depowered" the airbags in the later years to reduce passenger impact upon deployment. They earned only 4 stars after that...but the passengers were actually safer.

We have yet to hear the full story...but I'm suspecting something like this is the case with the 5thgen. You don't engineer something to do one thing, and have it go wrong. They were keenly aware of the level of safety expected from this vehicle...I don't think they messed up.
Honestly, if GM had a chance to get a 5 star rating over a 4 and they knew exactly what change needed to be made...They would have gone for the 5 star rating.. With that said, I hope you are right and I am wrong in this case which should warrant the GM engineers to come out and explain the 4 star rating in the same manner that they explained the airbag being weaker in the 4thgens. If they do not come out with an explanation, then we can assume they tried for a 5 star (Thought they were going to get a 5 star rating) and got a 4. In a field of muscle cars that are its main competitors getting 5 star ratings, it does not look good, there is little ways to spin the situation. Let's hope you are correct though. Because the Camaro is a 4 star frontal crash rated vehicle, the insurance premiums will be higher than if it was a 5 star rating all around.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #291
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicSix6 View Post
I find it disturbing in this time and age, that people base the decision to buy an automobile on it's crash test rating.
I personally am not buying the car, thinking hmmmmmmm I think today I want to crash into the neighbor's car.
Instead I say look at that nice car, and it has a great engine in it too. Wow!
You should rethink your priorities ... remember, when you have an accident, it may not be your fault.. I don't think anyone is thinking .. hmm gonna buy this car to crash it !!

Crowley
Old 08-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #292
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
You should rethink your priorities ... remember, when you have an accident, it may not be your fault.. I don't think anyone is thinking .. hmm gonna buy this car to crash it !!

Crowley
Yeah but with all these pathetic safety features your giving all of these bad drivers even more reason to stay poor drivers.

I say pinto's for anyone who wants a safe vehicle!
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #293
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
Yeah but with all these pathetic safety features your giving all of these bad drivers even more reason to stay poor drivers.

I say pinto's for anyone who wants a safe vehicle!
Thank you. I agree here.

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #294
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
the 4 star rating stinks, but GM probably work their butts of to fix it for next year's model. 4 stars sounds bad when so many other cars get 5 and the Mustang and Challenger both have 5... This is the first model year of this car, The mustang has had years of refreshes. I'll give them time But not too much because I still want to buy the car next year!
cab2g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevyridinghigh, whiner