Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #43
LarkVille

Drives: The Larkvillemobile
Interesting debate, I will say that from a marketing standpoint, the Challenger is marketed to a much smaller market (already mentioned). So it's true, the car is designed for those who REALLY want retro feel, and they're not looking for N-ring agility. Just filthy big muscle with mean horsepower. And it does it's job, the Challenger has serious attitude and reflects 70s muscle perfectly.

But to everyone else, the srt8 is out of reach price wise, chugs gas, and my personal gripe...the interior of the avenger. Actually, that's everyone's complaint.
LarkVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #44
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
The Challenger represents an American muscle car. That is fact. Thus, Car and Driver will trash it, and ANY American Car. I subscribed to that rag from March 1975 til Jan 2007...I just couldn't take their Euro and Jap bias anymore. To hell with C & D. I could care less what they think.
Rallysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #45
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Even if they liked the Camaro?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6285
Old 01-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #46
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Just another thing with the Chally, it dwarfs my 91 Caprice Classic too! My Caprice is a pinch longer, but has a lower roofline, beltine, hoodline, rear end, and is less wide then the Chally!
I pulled up next to a new R/T in my Caprice and was like, "F@ck is that car huge!" I haven't seen the Camaro in person, but it is reported to be smaller then the ginormas Chally!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #47
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
I'm not a big dodge car fan but it is a good looking car on the outside. A little heavy though IMHO and pricey.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #48
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
From Car and Driver:

"2009 Dodge Challenger
The Best Reasons to Buy American

2009 Dodge Challenger

We made room for one muscle car on this list, and we use it to celebrate forward thinking as much as lovingly retrospective sheetmetal. The 2009 Dodge Challenger has both.

Built as it is on the same successful LX rear-wheel-drive platform found under the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300, the 2009 Challenger is big and heavy, just like the original. But plenty of power can be had to overcome two tons of inertia, including the strong-enough-for-anyone 375-hp Hemi V-8 in the R/T and the SRT8’s 6.1-liter V-8 with 425 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque. Better yet, the Challenger is the first car in which we’ll all be able to pair a six-speed manual with Chrysler’s excellent Hemi.

Meanwhile, an independent suspension eliminates axle hop—charming in the ’60s, not so charming now—and enables a surprisingly refined ride. And the retro-styled interior has modern features aplenty, including supportive seats and an available 20-gig hard-drive infotainment system with navigation, something that will make getting around this country we love much easier."

They seem to like the Challenger just fine.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #49
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
From Car and Driver:

"2009 Dodge Challenger

2009 Dodge Challenger

We made room for one muscle car on this list, and we use it to celebrate forward thinking as much as lovingly retrospective sheetmetal. The 2009 Dodge Challenger has both.

Built as it is on the same successful LX rear-wheel-drive platform found under the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300, the 2009 Challenger is big and heavy, just like the original. But plenty of power can be had to overcome two tons of inertia, including the strong-enough-for-anyone 375-hp Hemi V-8 in the R/T and the SRT8’s 6.1-liter V-8 with 425 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque. Better yet, the Challenger is the first car in which we’ll all be able to pair a six-speed manual with Chrysler’s excellent Hemi.

Meanwhile, an independent suspension eliminates axle hop—charming in the ’60s, not so charming now—and enables a surprisingly refined ride. And the retro-styled interior has modern features aplenty, including supportive seats and an available 20-gig hard-drive infotainment system with navigation, something that will make getting around this country we love much easier."

BOOMSHAKALAKKAKAKAKAKAKAK BOOM!
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #50
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
From Car and Driver:

"2009 Dodge Challenger

2009 Dodge Challenger

Thats what happens when you have multiple writers working at a magazine
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #51
MaroMike

Drives: 2008 CHallenger SRT8
Challenger SUCKS?!?!?!? I think NOT!!!

Ok all you Chally hater's , you know who you are , a "boat"!?!?! Compared to the 60's and 70's........."you betcha". I love Sarah Palin!!

However, by today's standard's, read: what people want in an everyday driver, it's spot on. You want to talk about a boat......my 1995 Impala SS. Black of course. THAT, was a boat. A big, 4 door badass boat, w/an LT1 putting out 260 HP/330 lb. ft. stock. But as all Impala SS's from days gone by, was still considered a ..........let's call it a muscle machine. I installed a Callaway intake, redid the exhaust, and got rid of the cat's with GM export pipes right from the GM parts counter.

If memory serves it weighed around 4400 lbs. I put fatter tires all the way around on nicer wheels, and that beast as we called them, would lay rubber with no prob when you stomped on it.

The 9C1 police package was a big step up from stock, that's what the SS was derived from. But even then, most peeps in our club went to Hotchkis springs and sway bars to improve the handling. Still, that didn't make it a track competitor.

My point is, the SRT has 425 hp, it's actually more than that, hauls ass, it's seats are some of the best bar none, 13 speakers sound system blah blah blah.

Like I said before, driving the SRT Track Experience will change a person's mind on what a factory tuned American sport's/muscle car is capable of. Much much more than will ever be needed on the road..........unless someone's an idiot.

Bottom line GM, Dodge, and yes, even Ford have hit home run's with their modern day retro muscle offering's.

Good for us!!

Regards to ALL!!!
Mikey

2008 SRT Chally
2006 Ram 1500 Hemi w/mods
2010 Camaro on deck!!
Attached Images

Ludwig Classic Maple D/Bass Zildjian Overhead

AMERICA, Home of the Free, Because of The Brave
MaroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #52
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
It's a boat compared to today's standards.
That is my last comment on this thread
Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #53
MaroMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
It's a boat compared to today's standards.
That is my last comment on this thread
I respectfully disagree sir, not when cars are sharing platforms. If it was unique unto itself, absolutely a boat. But the Charger and 300 are the same platform.

Regards!!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #54
Mr. Wyndham

I can't love the Challenger. I've tried. I even spent an hour on the lot...trying. There's too many things I don't like about it...I can't do it. :(

Luckily, GM built me a Camaro.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #55
MaroMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I can't love the Challenger. I've tried. I even spent an hour on the lot...trying. There's too many things I don't like about it...I can't do it. :(

Luckily, GM built me a Camaro.
Understood budro!! That's what makes the world go 'round. I look inside of a 65k Shelby Mustang, and go.............what's the diff? For that kind of jack........a few badges?!?! But hey, that's just my opinion.

If you spent an hour on the lot, that's more than fair.

C'Mon GM, we're tired of waiting!!!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #56
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroMike View Post
If you spent an hour on the lot, that's more than fair.
...I was staring past the Challenger at a couple of Mustangs for a few minutes....to be brutally honest....then I saw a G8......but the point stands: The Dodge couldn't hold my attention!!