Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Daily driver or not???
Every friggn day 52 57.78%
Weekend toy 11 12.22%
Shacked for the Winter 27 30.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2007, 05:52 PM   #29
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
GM already did the EV1, a full on electric car, and it didn't work. Nice idea but not very feasible in the real world. Someone will come up with an effective longterm solution, questions is obviously "when"?

Last edited by Scotsman; 11-28-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #30
neo2227

Drives: 2007 Chevy Tahoe sittin on 22'
Every day possible.
neo2227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #31
neo2227

Drives: 2007 Chevy Tahoe sittin on 22'
Every Day!!!!
neo2227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Don't mean to keep getting off topic but....EV3? I'm aware only of the EV1 and the Volt...you've intrigued me.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #33
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Daily driver, I will never own a car thats a trailer/garage queen.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #34
Dunk31
Instigator

Drives: 93 Z28, 70 Chevelle SS 97 Expo
Location: Kandahar, Afghanistan/St. Louis will always be home though.
Weekends only. Not because I don't want to drive it everyday. But because I've heard the storys of my dad and cars he owned in his mid 20's and how he wishes he still had them. I want mine for years to come. Also I've stated in other posts I'm looking for a 4th Gen Camaro or TA to make and everyday driver. So I'll be satisfied with both my daily and weekend toys. I believe this to be the car of my generation as the '69 was the car of my dads.
Dunk31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:45 PM   #35
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
i live in ohio and we get about 3-4 months of salty roads and snow so i, like past cars , will be storing my camaro in the winter and probably only using it as a weekend and nice day driver. i dont think im going to take it out in the rain. i want this car to look as good, for as long as i can. and i plan on keeping all of my factory parts , after i replace them with aftermarket, just in case i decide to return it to stock.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #36
Satriani

Drives: 4 cyl can
I have 2 vehicles, and Camaro will be show off car when I feel like it (sunny days ONLY), so it'll be collecting dust major time (no panic, it'll be sterilized environment). Anyways, I'll sleep better knowing my favorite toy is near me
Satriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #37
Good53X

Drives: 1988Nissan Pulsar (meh,beater)
I have an old beater that I drive around now. I, however, do not have a garage to keep my Camaro in for the snowy season. I have a covered car-port, and aside from that I have the visitor parking in the lane.

I plan that, during the snowy seasons (snowy/salty) I will park the Camaro in the carport, under a car cover (protect the paint from frost!). I've also heard horror stories of what snow can do to convertible tops! So for the winter seasons my daily driver will be sitting out in the snow daily... which will SUCK.

I said every frickin' day because I didn't realize that there was a seasonal component to the question. Every day that is clear out, I'll be driving my Camaro... that'll probably be 48/52 weeks a year.
Good53X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:29 PM   #38
ScorpionX

Drives: 2006 Fusion
When I get mine, which will probably be the 2nd year they are out (probably 2011 model) it will definately be an every day driver. I live in northwest Arkansas, so the number of snow days around here are very limited. Last year there were maybe 4 days all winter where there was snow on roads. No salt either, it's all sand here.

It will be nice to be sitting in a muscle car again, I haven't had one since 2000 when I briefly had a mustang gt (yeah, I'm a former mustang fan, but the new camaro has really got me excited)
ScorpionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:39 PM   #39
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
welcome scorpion...nice to see a convert

I'll drive my new Camaro as often as I drive my 4th gen now: weeknights, weekends and the occasional trip to work. You drive a car like this (looks expensive even tho it'll be fairly affordable) to work regularly and you can forget about raises and promotions as your bosses think you've got enough money already. Ppl think my 1994 V6 4th gen is worth a million bucks...they're so surprised when i tell them its worth about $2k.

I'm a city boy but I've always wanted a pick-up so I'll get a tacoma as my beater. The wife will drive a safe volvo or mercedes...useful for the trips to get groceries, blockbuster, and camping trips with the kids etc.

PS...gotta put it away for winter. Salt would rust this thing out in 2-3 years where I'm from.
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:02 PM   #40
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
I don't get this whole thing about salt and RWD??? Sorry, born and raised in SoCal, this is what I know.

I also don't understand people buying cars based off of how others perceive them. If my boss doesn't want to give me a raise because he thinks I make enough because I'm driving a Camaro, which "looks expensive", then I'd really question his code of ethics. Your worth should not be based upon what you have in terms of material possessions (let alone a car, which is absurd), but what you bring to the table in terms of work performance and value.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:09 PM   #41
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerScotsman View Post
I don't get this whole thing about salt and RWD??? Sorry, born and raised in SoCal, this is what I know.

I also don't understand people buying cars based off of how others perceive them. If my boss doesn't want to give me a raise because he thinks I make enough because I'm driving a Camaro, which "looks expensive", then I'd really question his code of ethics. Your worth should not be based upon what you have in terms of material possessions (let alone a car, which is absurd), but what you bring to the table in terms of work performance and value.
Salt is commonly used to melt ice and snow. Salt and moisture corrode metal resulting in rust. Hence salt can be your car's worst enemy. FWD cars perform much better in the snow for most drivers. RWD takes some getting used to as its not difficult to get the back end out once on a snowy or icy driving surface.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm just saying ppl develop opinions based on the way you dress, the car you drive, whether or not your married etc etc etc. I'm not saying its right, I'm just saying thats what happens. My uncle owns a BMW Z4 (yeah i know its not that impressive), but he doesn't drive this car to business meetings as his clients would undoubtedly think they were paying him too much to afford a Bimmer. Instead he drives his Chevy Trailblazer which he likely paid more than the BMW for. Its all about perception.
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:12 PM   #42
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerScotsman View Post
Not salt and RWD...but just salt and cars in general.

Crews lay down salt, to melt the snow and clear the roads. The salt is like...like sitting a human under an x-ray machine for a little bit, every day, for a few years. It'll kill you eventually. Salt eats away at a car, and rusts it out - sometimes beyond repair.
It's an especially big problem when you have tons and tons of salt laid out constantly in areas where there is a lot of snow.
This is really only a real issue for those who voted weekends only...they generally want to keep their vehicle in good condition more than the others (not to say the others don't care - quite the contrary).

EDIT: damn, Mike beat me to it :p