Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-31-2007, 12:29 PM   #15
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
I don't buy this article at all... a supercharged 6.2L only making 500hp? Please... that engine is EASILY capable of 700hp. Plus, EVERYBODY gets a supercharger??? Eh eh.. to expensive.

Look at the current XLR-V, it features a supercharged 4.4 L version of the Northstar V8, and is certified by the SAE to produce 469 hp (350 kW) and 439 ft·lbf (595 N·m). Your telling me an engine displacing 40% more volume only makes ~7% more power??? Sounds wrong to me.

I'd wager that the LS8 (or whatever you want to call the Sub-ZR1 engine) is going to be a naturally aspirated 6.2L (or smaller) motor making 450-500hp.

I say this because of the new engine in the Cadillac CTS... its a 3.6L making 304hp without any turbos or superchargers... the key technology here is gasoline direct inject. It allows for much higher compression ratios without knock, and it is what is going to allow these engines to make big power numbers. Also, GEN V engines will probably be DOHC, which will allow higher revs, and consequently more power.

Both of these technologies make more sense for GM than supercharging EVERYTHING... that technology is expensive and ineffcient.

Anyway, I call on this article... sounds like more rumours without a lot of thought.

~LSx
Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 PM   #16
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
Also, does anybody know exactly this works?? I know the Ford GT also has this but dont really get how it works.
The supercharger at is mounted in the engine valley (between the cylinder banks), it sucks in air at the front of the engine, and compresses it. This air takes a right turn and exist the bottom of the supercharger (right into the valley)... here's the key bit... once it leaves the supercharger, it passes through an intercooler which lives in between the bottom of the superchager and the intake tracts of the engine manifold. This intercooler is a liquid-to-air type intercooler that uses cooled water (or coolant) to cool the air before it runs into the engine.

Hope this helps.

~LSx
Old 10-31-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROD View Post
Dont know how valid this info is but I thought I would share this. Don't think this has been posted.

"LS8…
This is another 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It also features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. This will be the motor going into the top-end Zeta platform cars. The most premium Camaro, probably called Z28, will get this motor.
That said, original plans had this motor going into a Denali SUV or truck, however, those plans now seem to be canceled. Again, this maybe a result of CAFE.
Some of Holden’s vehicles may also get this motor eventually. Initial specs have this motor at 475 to 500 horsepower with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions.
When the LS7 dies, the Z06 will get this motor. Possibly, slightly uptuned from the version the Zeta cars would get. This motor will start production in
first or second quarter of 2010."

I am not getting to excited yet but from what I know and what my friend tells me (Corvette owner) that site has reliable info.

This may be an early leak to what we might find out (its valid) once the "you don't want to miss November" news is posted tomorrow on the Chevy Nation site.

Again, its still a rumor until Chevy/GM announces it.

Source:
http://www.corvetteconti.com/blog/?p=1383#more-1383
Yup, it was here...Thread/Post moved
Keep looking for stuff, though!
Old 11-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #18
twistedwedge

Drives: 2010 SSOM SS
I dont buy the Z06 getting the same motor as the top Camaro. Also, the Camaro has always been roughly a year or so behind the 'vette in the engine dept. so even if it did get the "Z06" engine it wouldnt be the same year, and the 'vette would make significantly more HP. IMO no way does GM take away from their top dog the Z06 by putting an engine in the Camaro that equally performs....
twistedwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:08 AM   #19
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
I always liked the fact GM made their power without forced induction.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^So did I...but I sure as heck am not against the idea of a SC'er in my Camaro. If they want to do it, COOL BY ME!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #21
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Its been posted by those in the know that gm has this attitude...

GM has a HP target, if they can reach it NA they will, if it requires a power adder (supercharger/turbo) it will get it..
Old 11-02-2007, 01:17 PM   #22
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
This intercooler is a liquid-to-air type intercooler that uses cooled water (or coolant) to cool the air before it runs into the engine.

Hope this helps.

~LSx

OK, I just wasnt sure if it was air-to-air with some jigsaw puzzle of intercooler pipes or just a simple water-to-air. But how much cooler can the air really get when it whizzes through the rather short i/c at higher rpm? I'm sure it helps but I cant picture huge temp drops with this type of i/c, but hey its still got a SUPERCHARGER!
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:11 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham

The roots/screw type intercoolers aren't all that efficient, no. At least not compared to the air-to-air used by Procharger...but they do help as opposed to nothing. I think they're something like 50%... But they do make the difference between knock...and no-knock.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #24
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The roots/screw type intercoolers aren't all that efficient, no. At least not compared to the air-to-air used by Procharger...but they do help as opposed to nothing. I think they're something like 50%... But they do make the difference between knock...and no-knock.
Automakers like water to air intercoolers because they are easier to fit under the hood (no fat pressurized air lines from the compressor to the intercooler and back to the intake).

Speed junkies like them because you can supplement (or replace) the air to water cooler (in front of the radiator) with a few gallons of ice water and theoretically achieve sub-ambient intake air temps as long as your ice lasts. Banks set a land speed record this way back in the 80s or 90 (in a Trans-Am I think).

Last edited by Grape Ape; 11-07-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #25
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
Banks set a land speed record this way back in the 80s or 90 (in a Trans-Am I think).
Yes he did. Basically he put a twin turbo setup on one, replaced the transmission and did a couple other less significant modifications. It went somewhere around 280 mph. And i think it was still street legal
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #26
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I met Gale Banks about a year ago. My fiancee's dad is an auto tech instructor and Banks gave a presentation at his tech school, so he took us all on a tour of his facilities. That guy has some great products and services. He's also really environmentally conscious and is doing a lot to mix both eco-friendliness and performance.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #27
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
Automakers like water to air intercoolers (as used with Prochargers and turbos) because they are easier to fit under the hood (no fat pressurized air lines from the compressor to the intercooler and back to the intake).

Speed junkies like them because you can supplement (or replace) the air to water cooler (in front of the radiator) with a few gallons of ice water and theoretically achieve sub-ambient intake air temps as long as your ice lasts. Banks set a land speed record this way back in the 80s or 90 (in a Trans-Am I think).
Don't you mean Vortech? 'Cause I know for a fact ProCharger uses air-to-air...and gets better IAT than Vortech......
Old 11-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #28
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Don't you mean Vortech? 'Cause I know for a fact ProCharger uses air-to-air...and gets better IAT than Vortech......
Opps:o , you're right centrifigals (Procharger and Paxton) & tubos lend themselves to air-air and the posative displacement units (Roots, Whipple etc) are more suited to water-air.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote