Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

View Poll Results: How much will the Challenger R/T cost?
19,000-24,000 0 0%
24,000-29,000 22 36.67%
30,000+ 38 63.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
How much will the Challenger R/T cost?

sorry about the title, I changed this and can't change the thread name,
okay, so how much do you think the Challenger will cost and do you think it will out-sell its Camaro equivalent(ss or z28)

Last edited by TheClassicCarKid; 04-06-2008 at 01:29 PM.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
I can add to this...

My wife wants to lease a Liberty or Compass. So I was in the Chrysler Jeep, Dooogshe deallership. I saw the Charger SRT8 in the showrooom fully loaded and it was $42 large. For that I could get a Z06 from last year and a scrub the bugs of my teeth. It's over priced but that's perfect for us and Chevy. What I've learned through my studies and work is that no matter what you spend in production, you can set a price point that will make a difference. The car will sell itself so incentives won't have to offered to the sales department.

IF the SRT8 loaded is 42K, and is the equivalent to SS loaded, GM's price point should be set at least 7.5% lower. I believe that's the margin for the GT 500 up. I don't know much about cars as the rest of the guys here. However, I know about the marketing and the promotional side of business. Here's what I did.

GT 500 premium (built on ford.com loaded) is $33,500

Charger SRT8 is $42,000

Camaro at highest trim level should be between those two.

My call:

RS - base model $19,500. Shouldn't be more than 23k with all the bells and wistles.

Z/28 - Fully equiped at $31,500, base model should not be more than $25k or it will bomb.

SS - should start at $33,000 and get it loaded to just shy of 40k.

I spoke to my 55 + elder men in my family who make up about 60% of the consumer market and they say that if you get a 500+hp Camaro, you can put any sticker price on it.

Considering the Market:

I'll be 29 years old, almost 30 by the time I buy my SS. 55 + old crowd will still be there. Then your next largest is the 18 to 25 market that like the new car. I think the ones you have to impress are the 40-55 even 55+ crowd with the most pockets, not necessarily the deepest but the most pockets. Today's Grandpa is not getting in a Cady lately. I'd bet on the older crowd looking to re-live the glory days to be your best sale. With that you gotta see what they want.

Cash cow: Z/28 with V8, Flexfuel and or AFM. Starting at $24,500.

Star: SS with a Sticker of 32k plus

Somewhere in between you got the V6 model that will be a toss up to me even with 300 hp. Even with gas prices, the car will be looked over, since V8 are the ones comming out with the AFM, it's the most attractive to the older croud. Your 18 to 25 croud might be the ones hit the hardest by recession and gas so look for them to get the V6. They may start flying after the car has cooled off in popularity at 17k. And who wouldn't get their kid the Camaro at that price or if you are a 20 something getting our beloved pony as their first new car.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
I went with 30+, just on a feeling I think it'll be in the low to mid 30's. The Challengers based on the 300 an Charger frame/ body, whatever, both 8's are over 30 so I don't see why the Challenger wouldn't follow suit. Now on the other hand, if Camaro is going to be a success it's gonna have to come in between the Mustang and Challenger which should work out great for us. Right?
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
Camaro at highest trim level should be between those two.

My call:

RS - base model $19,500. Shouldn't be more than 23k with all the bells and wistles.
Maybe if the base model is a turbo 4 cylinder, but I can't imagine GM selling a V6 Camaro at those prices. My guess would be more like $23K base, $27K loaded for the 6-cylinder.

I know that comparing a Camaro to a Malibu is an apples-and-oranges thing to some extent, but let's keep in mind that it's not possible to get a V6 Malibu for less than like $24K.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Wow alot of mis information here.....

First off every model trim of the challenger will match pricing with the charger..

IE you can get a base sxt charger for just over 20k ($21995 if i remember correctly), the R/T will start at $31995, and the SRT8 will start at just under $39995.

The ford mustang v6 base is $19995, the gt base is $26725, and the gt500 starts at $41000ish(cant remember)

BUT you have to remember dodge dealers like that markup, just like ford dealers did on the first gt500's (which are now rotting on the lots).

If dodge keeps the challenger low production (which i doubt, they need the sales) then yes you will continue to see high chally prices. If not then they will be just as common as chargers/magnums/300's.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I like your pricing suggestions. They sound like what we already suspect to some degree. We need to remember that GM has promised to make this a car that costs less than we expect. I'm not saying that we should be expecting to pay electric scooter prices on our Camaros, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the LNF Camaro goes for $19k. I expect the V6 to come in under $23k and the V8 to ring in at $26k without any options. If there's a higher trim, it will probably appear around $31k.

I'd be aiming for the base V8 (badge to be determined by GM) with a couple of options. I'm really glad that we have reassurances about gas mileage, AFM, VVT, and 400 horsepower. If any of those go away, I might find myself rolling around in a less attractive but more functional whip.

I expect the Camaro to outsell the Challenger. By releasing a low-production, high-expense Challenger without a low-end counterpart, the new Challenger has a stigma of being out-priced. Potential buyers will convert to other muscle cars before reconsidering the Challenger for that reason alone.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

The biggest rip off = Mustang GT500. There is so much mark up on the Vehicle.

I'm gonna go out on limb here but I bet you the SS 500 horses and all is gonna come out right at or lower than the GT500.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I'm gonna go out on limb here but I bet you the SS 500 horses and all is gonna come out right at or lower than the GT500.
Except it'll be called the Z28......

I wanted to vote 30,000+, unfortunately, my mouse seemed to like 24-29k better.

I've never considered the Challenger to be a pricing guide for the Camaro. I think it's too big, too 'plain', and much to expensive to be comparible to the Camaro. Trim for trim, it'll get more of a spanking then the Charger got when it met the G8. In other words; no, I don't think this car, even the V6 included, is going to sell in massive amounts of numbers.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #9
wild_weasel
Ombudsman

Drives: Black 03 Jeep Liberty Renegade
I will bet that 500 supercharged horses will ring in under 40k (barely). Just so GM can have a 3 instead of a 4 hanging out right next to the dollar sign like the Ford.

Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

I want my 2010 Z28, and I want it now. Black Graphite Metallic please.

(Thanks to Mindz and Jinx for the avatar/sig pic respectively)

wild_weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Except it'll be called the Z28......

I wanted to vote 30,000+, unfortunately, my mouse seemed to like 24-29k better.

I've never considered the Challenger to be a pricing guide for the Camaro. I think it's too big, too 'plain', and much to expensive to be comparible to the Camaro. Trim for trim, it'll get more of a spanking then the Charger got when it met the G8. In other words; no, I don't think this car, even the V6 included, is going to sell in massive amounts of numbers.
Are you saying that Z/28 might, or WILL be the Highest Trim level or is that what you are hoping? Will you endulge me sir.

I'd like to see the SS grill make a come back.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:55 AM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Are you saying that Z/28 might, or WILL be the Highest Trim level or is that what you are hoping? Will you endulge me sir.

I'd like to see the SS grill make a come back.
Ah, but asking that question would force me to answer by saying that what I'm saying doesn't mean it may not be what you think I'm not saying.

Let's put it this way. The grapevine is extremely thick. But if you listen closely...you hear stuff................................
Old 04-07-2008, 01:31 AM   #12
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

I see and therefore concur with you in the idea that I have no idea what the highest trim level will be called or not called however, will have 500+hp and all we know as that we cannot say we know what and when that name is going be named. Am I correct sir?

Just got a feeling, hoping rather, that my 500hp lass is going to kill the aforementioned pony and come close or bellow it's bloated price tag.

Well then. In conclusion...

I say the Challenger will show up early to the party like the dorks always do and leave frustrated without having gotten any numbers. Camaro shows up fashionably late and gets the party started while getting hauled to the make out room...repeatedly.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Ah, but asking that question would force me to answer by saying that what I'm saying doesn't mean it may not be what you think I'm not saying.

Let's put it this way. The grapevine is extremely thick. But if you listen closely...you hear stuff................................
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
You can't polish a turd...

COME ON!!! That car is a total hack-job. Give me a break; interior from other models, as heavy as it's four-door bretheren; there's hardly anything new and/or unique to this car! I'm not saying the 6.1 is crappy otherwise, there isn't anything else to this car that's appealing (well; it's also a Mopar...) It seems in line with other SRT models so I guess it isn't too bad.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote