Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 10-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Gman5001

Drives: 1lt crystal red metallic
my 1st autocross

This was my 1st time doing an autocross and it was a blast. My car was In D stock class. I do feel my car has a slight disadvantage because it is very heavy and it isn't the easiest car to see out of. My first run I had a 50.301 but I forgot to record it (to much excitement). My last run was my fastest which was in the low 44's. The only mod's done to my car is a Ark N-ll exhaust which sounded amazing.

If anyone has any tips for racing or anything in general please feel free to comment.

Gman5001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Colt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS Victory Red
Sweet video, I started running in autocross this year as well, but aren't the camaros in F stock? You might want to check on that.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
chad156

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Sweet video, I started running in autocross this year as well, but aren't the camaros in F stock? You might want to check on that.
V6 5th Gens stock are in D Stock
V8 5th Gens stock are in F Stock

Once you throw some Hoosier R6 takes offs on there, all street modded Camaros fall in ESP.

Seat time, instructors and tires...in that order.

Have fun out there!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
I don't understand how you know where to go, since cones are soo far spaced apart and close to one another... Looks weird in autocross but fun...
Old 10-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Gman5001

Drives: 1lt crystal red metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
I don't understand how you know where to go, since cones are soo far spaced apart and close to one another... Looks weird in autocross but fun...
Track walks help a lot also if you watch in the video there are cones that are up and ones that are sideways. The sideways ones point you where to go.

I also think that's why Autocross is so hard, trying to pick a line on the fly is very hard to do.

Gman5001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:

Track walks will help, but try and catch a ride with someone experienced before you head out on the course, so you can get a feel for the course at speed...everyone starts out the same, it takes some time to learn how to read the courses and trust me, you'll still make mistakes and end up blowing the course occasionally...just go have fun....
Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Black Knight

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
I think the same thing every time I see a auto x video
Old 10-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
In most courses, when you exit each course feature - gate, lane change, slalom, Chicago box, whatever - you are generally pointed toward the next feature. Courses tend to have a rhythm. It may also help to draw your own course map on one of your course walks. Chances are that the areas you have more trouble even just roughly sketching will be the tougher ones to drive. Plus you'll have it to review before each of your runs.

OP - you could be closer to some of the cones, don't palm the steering wheel or let it slide through both hands. For slaloms, you have to start steering the wheel a detectable amount of time before you get to the cone that you're trying to go around. It takes a finite amount of time to turn the wheel however far it needs to go, during which time if you aren't starting to steer you'll end up turning late and trying to play a game of "catch-up" that you won't win. FWIW, starting your steering sooner will cut down on how far you have to crank the wheel over compared to when you're steering late.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
Seat time seat time seat time knowing your cars limits will help all so. Some tracks you will have to go slow and not over drive the car. Momentum is your friend in autocross and with these big cars.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Not bad at all for your first time! Like the others said, seat time is the best thing you can do. Try to walk the course with some of the veteran drivers and watch where they walk. The good ones will walk as if they are in their drivers seat and visualize as such. Another big thing many people have a have a hard time with is looking ahead. If you are looking far enough ahead, you have time to process what's coming up and can act accordingly. But most importantly just get out there, improve your skills and have fun!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
Heisenberg

Drives: Camaro 2010
Feels like a stuntman holding onto the roof in an action flick.
Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
russellisabel

Drives: 2012 black w/white stripes 2 ss
I beg to differ here. I have a 2012 ss that I set up for autocross. My first event was this past sunday. Out of 70 plus cars, including 911's, lotus, BMW, evo's you name it, my car came in second and with my friend driving (aka we took turns with my car) he took third, this was done on a mile long course done on an airport runway. the only person to beat the 5th gen track times that day was the driving instructor for the autocross driving school. he did this in a fully prepped sti with race tires. Even he could not believe the capability of the 5th gen. Please remember this was out first time out dialing in the car! some of the straits on this course I hit 95mph. everyone else was trapping 75-80mph. GM gave us a awesome track car with a little modification and seat time you will clean house. I use TOYO RE888 tires, this alone is like night and day. So for anyone who thinks are cars are to heavy you are sadly mistaken. Here is a link to my facebook page. You will find the video there. I could not get the video to load here.

https://www.facebook.com/russell.isabel?ref=profile
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
That sounds more like a pro-touring autoX and I will be attending my first on December 1st, but typical autoX speeds for cars like ours is no more than 60mph which is why no matter how setup your car is a Miata, MR2, or S200 will be faster. I am really looking forard to the pro-touring AutoX, hopefully I'll get a chance like you did to take advantage of the HP!

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
russellisabel

Drives: 2012 black w/white stripes 2 ss
well as I said most of the cars were hitting 75 on the last strait, however all the Miata's, mr2,s2000's all have to keep their rpm's up coming out of a corner. they turn well yes.. but they lack the raw low end torque to just launch from a low rpm, another factor is that my car puts down 480trq and with 315's re888's which is a autrocross tire = not having to down shift and mad traction.. I don't believe for a min that they are even better than us at cornering even at a slower track or speed. my reasoning? Just look up the skid pad #'s of the 1LE. 1.03 avg. this alone is higher than any of those other cars listed. Second those #'s are on factory tires. Now add a set of 305 Re888's all the way around and a set of adjustable sways front and rear! now your pulling 1.5- 1.6g its like night and day...