Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-01-2007, 05:54 AM   #15
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Yeah you do pay a premium for factory performance.

In reality, you can take the basic 5.7L Hemi and build an engine that will put down easily put down 400rwhp or more, and blow the doors off the factory 6.1L Hemi. But the average joe isn't a hot rodder or wants to put the time and effort to mod their existing engine with cams, ported heads, and whatever else it takes.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #16
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
i believe the ls3 will be the base motor. no other motors under it. there is no need for it. if your buying a v8 majority is going to want the ls3. no point in having a totally separate lower v8, then you have to use a different tranny and in the end if your looking for a bargain, good gas mileage v8 , you arent goign to get it. if you do you might get 2 maybe 3 MPG better than the ls3. no sense in a lower v8 than the ls3
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
GM is for a fact considering a 6.0L, likely the L76. I heard that from an engineer who works for them. And the L76 in the G8 is expected to make make 4 mpg better mileage as the LS2 in the GTO that weighs 200 lbs less. Also, the LS3 gets 2 mpg worse mileage than the LS2 in the vettte. sooo I would image that there will be at least a 5-6 mpg difference between an LS3 Camaro (~24) vs an L76 (~30)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
GM is for a fact considering a 6.0L, likely the L76. I heard that from an engineer who works for them. And the L76 in the G8 is expected to make make 4 mpg better mileage as the LS2 in the GTO that weighs 200 lbs less. Also, the LS3 gets 2 mpg worse mileage than the LS2 in the vette. sooo I would image that there will be at least a 5-6 mpg difference between an LS3 Camaro (~24) vs an L76 (~30)
AH! RED-FLAG!!
Are you taking into account the fact that the EPA redesigned how they are testing and reporting car's estimated fuel economy for any new cars debuted in '07, on? Because part of the advertised and recognized brilliance of the LS3 is that it did NOT change fuel economy while adding more power between the LS2 and itself.

:pEither way. I do agree that the L76 will undoubtedly offer better fuel economy.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #19
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

read my sig
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham

hee hee, no big deal - I just like spouting random nit-picky facts like that.

Besides, your sig doesn't apply:p. Because your point was correct. But the facts you used were skewed (at least, I'm assuming your admitting they were). Which according to your sig, means that I should ignore your point...but I'd be ignoring a truth which would be a lie unto itself...uh-oh, I've gone cross-eyed...:eek:

Old 12-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #21
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Sweet, another baseline for the Camaro. So that means that the base V8 will probably come in around 30k, with the top being between 35 and 40
According to the post that no one responded to, this is worrying for me. I was hoping and praying that I could get the top dawg for under 35k before taxes/registration/etc.

If the top dawg is around 38-39 (at least 5 more than Lutz predicted), that's not kosher.

I'm really looking forward to the camaro's reappearance, but tI won't allow myself to settle by getting a trim lower than I want since this has replaced the 69 RS/SS vert as a dream car of mine. I don't know if I'll be able to afford it if it's that high though.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #22
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
According to the post that no one responded to, this is worrying for me. I was hoping and praying that I could get the top dawg for under 35k before taxes/registration/etc.

If the top dawg is around 38-39 (at least 5 more than Lutz predicted), that's not kosher.

I'm really looking forward to the camaro's reappearance, but tI won't allow myself to settle by getting a trim lower than I want since this has replaced the 69 RS/SS vert as a dream car of mine. I don't know if I'll be able to afford it if it's that high though.
That depends on what you mean by top dog... if you mean the GT500 equivilent then yea be prepared to be disappointed.. if you mean the GT equivilent.. then be prepared for under 30k before options.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:16 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham

I distinctly remember being told that there will be a V8 available for under 30k. By either Mr. Lutz, Scott, Ed Welburn, or Ed Peper...one of the four. So however you cut it, it's a good bet they're right.

Please remember that this production run of SRT8's are the first off the line, and are being coined as 'limited edition'. I'm betting that prestige alone accounts for 3-5k of that price as it is.

But I second diarmadhi - if you're looking for a GT500 equivilant...don't be surprised at 35-40k...
Old 12-03-2007, 12:19 AM   #24
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I'd like the top production v8, non limited/special edition. which should be somewhere in the middle of the GT500 and GT performance wise.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:27 AM   #25
Mr. Wyndham

okay then. I can't see that (In my wildest dreams) base MSRP'ing over 30k. It'd be the Mustang GT fighter (since I'm doubting there'll be a 3rd V8). So if you consider the Special/Limited version of a Camaro, the one you want would be considered the "base" V8. Not over 30k. Never.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:29 AM   #26
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
How limited is limited production? Are we talking Cobra limited or are we talking Veyron limited?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:35 AM   #27
Mr. Wyndham

Niether, it's the first run this year, and they're only making SRT8's. So they get plaques and special acknowlegement (you'll have to read the first post, I forget exactly what else).

But the SRT8's after this year will be 'regular' ones, if I understand correctly.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:45 AM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

so something along the lines of an LS3 in a 3750 lb Camaro? All signs point to that costing around 35 000. 27k for the top GT, 42k GT500. split the difference and its 34 500. Although the top Camaro will be a bit closer to the GT500 in performance, the regular GT should be stepping its game up soon so it will balance out.

Camaro Fest sub-forum