Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
looking for opinions and best guesses.

I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about the fallowing, or has a good hunch.

1)What kind of gear ratio will the v6 or v8 will have? Do you think they will differ from the base v6 and the high po. v6., or maybe an option in the v8 like the mustang has done recently.
2)Torque, from all those possible engines that could be in the new muscle machine, which would produce the best torque?

Any input will be sweet, if the info is already on the forum just some guidance would work. thanks brothers..
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
No answer is known for #1..

#2 just needs some research into the current engines out there for GM.. I am sure someone here has a link to the table but I have no clue where it is.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
All GM would say is that the new Camaro will have, "widely spaced ratios for aggressive acceleration"-- I like that- aggressive acceleration! Wondering why GM used the term "aggressive", I decided to give myself an edumacation and look up the definition...

1. Tending toward or exhibiting aggression <aggressive behavior> b: marked by combative readiness <an aggressive fighter>
2. Marked by obtrusive energy b: marked by driving forceful energy or initiative :
3. Strong or emphatic in effect or intent
4. More severe, intensive, or comprehensive than usual especially in dosage or extent

Oh, that's why... good choice!
Old 12-04-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
These are GM's current engines.
We also consolidated the two known possible engines' info here (up on top)

As far as I've read around these boards, and what GM has told/shown us...
There are a few possible V8 engines. I can't begin to guess V6's...but I'm sure you can find something out on those using the above sources

So...as I was saying - I think the general concensus here(varying in preference from one engine to another) that there are three V8 engine possibilities for the Mustang GT-fighter.

L76, 6.0L 361hp, 385 lb/ft. This engine has extra fuel economy benifits, like AFM, and an impressive amount of torque that make it a likely candidate.

LS3, 6.2L 430hp, 428 lb/ft. This engine has the power closer to what we all expect to see in the new Camaro, and it is generally efficient in it's own right, too.
and,
a mystery engine of unknown displacement, unknown power (prolly in the 400 range), and not exactly known 'goodies'. It is highly probable that whatever this mystery-motor is, it will have Direct Injection.