Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 07-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
Hoosier1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Newbie Helmet choice

I am new to the autocross world and am wondering what type of helmet to get. Full face or half? Also some quality brands? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hoosier1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
Colt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS Victory Red
http://www.saferacer.com/auto-racing-helmets

Here's a pretty good link to look at with some good brands. I personally went the G-Force Pro Eliminator as it was a cheap full face helmet. You're probably going to hear this a lot, but you should find a local dealer and go try them on. Most of the helmets are shaped differently, so you want to find the ones that fit you the best.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I bought a Pyrotect helmet from helmetcity.com. If the helmet doesn't fit they will exchange it.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
http://www.saferacer.com/auto-racing-helmets

Here's a pretty good link to look at with some good brands. I personally went the G-Force Pro Eliminator as it was a cheap full face helmet. You're probably going to hear this a lot, but you should find a local dealer and go try them on. Most of the helmets are shaped differently, so you want to find the ones that fit you the best.
I have that same helmet and it works good for me. The only addition I would have liked is a removable liner for easy cleaning.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
NotYetLegend

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
Usually they will allow a half face helmet for autocross (around here at least) but not for a full track sessions. So if you have any intention of doing HPDE or time trails I would only consider full face helmets. Even if you have both styles you should probably wear the full face to autocross just so you become acclimated to the reduction in visibility/mobility. The full face are also more protective if flying debris were to come in through the window somehow (remember almost all autocross and track sessions are run with windows down as a rule).

This is what I went with:

http://thehelmetman.com/auto/automot...lmet-2-colors/

It's a Bell so there are no worries about quality and the extra huge eye opening really helps with visibility, the Camaro is already a bit limited in this department and compounding the small windscreen with a small eye port is torture. I love the helmet so far, very comfortable and the visibility is a huge plus.

Not sure if you can find a loaner helmet around to use for a few months or not, but if so you can wait for the SA2015 rated helmets which have a longer potential life. This is a minor concern however on entry-level helmets.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob67 View Post
I am new to the autocross world and am wondering what type of helmet to get. Full face or half? Also some quality brands? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Good luck on your helmet decision, great info here. Hope you're going to put your baby on a big track and let her run
Old 07-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
Hoosier1LE

I was looking at an open face for visibility. Do all HPDE events require full face? Was thinking about doing one in Joliet or Gingerman.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
The safe assumption is that yes, they all do. Though I have heard that in NJ where there is a state code covering motorsports that supposedly permits open-face helmets if the car has air bags (presumably meaning that they have to remain active).

It's worth considering the eyeport size, as there is quite a bit of variety. Coming from an open-face helmet for autocross, a large eyeport was a must-have feature for me, and I ended up with a Simpson, through SafeRacer (SafeRacer at least used to offer a 10% discount to SCCA members).

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #9
ProfessorRhone

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE
Any differences between Auto/Motorcycle Helmets? Doesn't seem to me there would be any major ones. I have two helmets for my bike. One full-face, one modular full-face. Just wondering if they'd be allowed?

Never ran in an autocross or on a track but now that I have the 1LE it's on the list ...
Dual-Mode, Recaros, Sunroof, Nav
----------------------------------------
ZL1 Rockers
RPI Stealth Splash Guards
De-badged (except blacked-out front bowtie)
ProfessorRhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
NotYetLegend

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorRhone View Post
Any differences between Auto/Motorcycle Helmets? Doesn't seem to me there would be any major ones. I have two helmets for my bike. One full-face, one modular full-face. Just wondering if they'd be allowed?

Never ran in an autocross or on a track but now that I have the 1LE it's on the list ...
The difference is that auto helmets have a Nomex lining which makes them somewhat fire retardant. This is not necessary in a motorcycle helmet as it is unlikely for you to be contained in a burning area. This is the main reason auto helmets seem to cost a little extra too.

It does make buying a helmet in person pretty difficult. I checked local shops etc... and no one really carries or even knows what an "auto racing" helmet is, they only have bike helmets. Fortunately I did the "measure your head" thing from the website and ordered the right size the first time.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Another difference is that motorcycle helmets are designed for one big hit while automotive helmets must withstand multiple impacts. Just because your car doesn't have a full cage for your helmet to keep bouncing off of during a crash doesn't mean that the next identical helmet made won't go to somebody whose car is caged.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
ProfessorRhone

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetLegend View Post
The difference is that auto helmets have a Nomex lining which makes them somewhat fire retardant. This is not necessary in a motorcycle helmet as it is unlikely for you to be contained in a burning area. This is the main reason auto helmets seem to cost a little extra too.

It does make buying a helmet in person pretty difficult. I checked local shops etc... and no one really carries or even knows what an "auto racing" helmet is, they only have bike helmets. Fortunately I did the "measure your head" thing from the website and ordered the right size the first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Another difference is that motorcycle helmets are designed for one big hit while automotive helmets must withstand multiple impacts. Just because your car doesn't have a full cage for your helmet to keep bouncing off of during a crash doesn't mean that the next identical helmet made won't go to somebody whose car is caged.

Norm
Thanks. Looks like I'll be adding another helmet to the collection.
Dual-Mode, Recaros, Sunroof, Nav
----------------------------------------
ZL1 Rockers
RPI Stealth Splash Guards
De-badged (except blacked-out front bowtie)
ProfessorRhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
Synner

Drives: cars
SNEL SA2010 is the rating your helmet must have.

On half helmets, do you want an airbag to break your nose while attempting to recover a crashed/crashing vehicle?
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
Hoosier1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
SNEL SA2010 is the rating your helmet must have.

On half helmets, do you want an airbag to break your nose while attempting to recover a crashed/crashing vehicle?
I don't plan on crashing the car. Was looking at the half helmet for visibility. But I saw a full face with extra large opening. It's about $100 more, but it will be worth it.