Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

View Poll Results: Supercharge or Turbo
Supercharger 152 72.04%
Turbocharger 59 27.96%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #57
Gatecrasher
User

Drives: 1994 Stealth R/T Turbo
Quote:
either way i mean take the cobalt ss supercharged or even the ss n/a their no where close to a srt4 or the ss n/a has less hp then the new Si a HONDA
The SS NA was replaced with the Cobalt Sport, and the new SS Turbo has 260hp, better seats, Brembo brakes and development time on the Nurburgring. I think it's worthy of the SS badge now. It really was on the border line before.
Gatecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #58
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
This is the main reason i stay away from turbos...

[IMG]http://www.*******.co.nz/300zx/hotturbos.gif[/IMG]

That said any system will give you benefits, its just a matter of what you want out of it.

Personally if your driving a daily driver, anything other than a centri or twin screw/roots and your asking for trouble with heat issues. Turbos can be done safely and a daily driver but as pointed out they are quite more complicated and IMO the more complicated the easier to break (but you have more head room for future upgrades!)

Also anyone running more than 8-10ish PSI in a daily driver is either

A) nuts and bout to blow their engine (dont care what engine it is, any in stock form wont take much more than that).

B) already dropped over 1/4 the value of the car into engine upgrades.

Just a word to the engine illiterate, any type of forced induction can be done and done safely, its just a matter of cost and constant (and I really mean constant) maintenance. Most guys I know who have after market power adders have thier cars in the shop AT LEAST 3-4 weeks a year EVERY year.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #59
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
This is the main reason i stay away from turbos...

[IMG]http://www.*******.co.nz/300zx/hotturbos.gif[/IMG]

That said any system will give you benefits, its just a matter of what you want out of it.

Personally if your driving a daily driver, anything other than a centri or twin screw/roots and your asking for trouble with heat issues. Turbos can be done safely and a daily driver but as pointed out they are quite more complicated and IMO the more complicated the easier to break (but you have more head room for future upgrades!)

Also anyone running more than 8-10ish PSI in a daily driver is either

A) nuts and bout to blow their engine (dont care what engine it is, any in stock form wont take much more than that).

B) already dropped over 1/4 the value of the car into engine upgrades.

Just a word to the engine illiterate, any type of forced induction can be done and done safely, its just a matter of cost and constant (and I really mean constant) maintenance. Most guys I know who have after market power adders have thier cars in the shop AT LEAST 3-4 weeks a year EVERY year.
I was guessing between 4 and 6 was a good psi to have on a DD lol or thats what I would run it at anyways
Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #60
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Those pics' are reasons I like turbos, LOL. Those are rad!

I still wonder how accurate it is in saying that turbos are more efficient than superchargers. I'll stay with a simple supercharger personally.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #61
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
Power charger is pretty B.A. looks like turbo but is belt driven. plus if the force induction is kept to a low psi i guess you wouldnt really gain too much for the money, whereas if it was a higher psi you would be in the shop more. and it is a new car but the warranty wouldnt cover nothin. good point. maybe ill opt out for a supercharged camaro instead of doin myself
Old 02-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #62
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I think centrifugal superchargers are a joke for the daily-driver, to be honest.
In order to make respectable boost - You've got to rev the crap out of the motor - and strengthened parts or not, that doesn't exactly appeal to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I still wonder how accurate it is in saying that turbos are more efficient than superchargers.
I don't think there is as big of a distinction anymore as there used to be(There DEFINITELY used to be). Especially with the new design that Magnuson is using.

The previous generation of Eaton/Magnuson blowers was said to use less than a 1/3 hp to turn while putt-putting around town (i.e. not using the boost).
The new generation is being said to actually increase efficiency - and therefore fuel economy under those conditions. (Just like turbos have always done).

Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #63
COPO_Chevy

Drives: 2015 Malibu 1LT; '87 Grand Prix LE
Send a message via MSN to COPO_Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Maybe I'm out to lunch on this, but if I bought a Malibu I wouldn't be drag racing too many Camrys. The car family car that is better 'by the numbers' would have things like better gas mileage, lower noise, lower maintenance cost, more passenger volume, smaller turning radius, etc. Not 0-60, skidpad, slalom, 1/4 mile, 60-0, etc. Besides, if you want a front wheel drive chevy midsized sedan with some performance, get an Impala SS.
+1
COPO_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:58 PM   #64
sickboy

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28
I had a Jackson Racing supercharger on a miata for a while, and let me tell you, it was like having a bigger engine, plus the sound.... if you haven't been in a car with a roots blower, you have to experience it! I love the whine... makes me want to get another supercharged car!
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #65
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I like having a lot of low end torque. That's why I like American Muscle to start with. Superchargers give you a lot more of that. I want neck snapping power when I step on the gas pedal... I want to walk into a Chiropractors office and have him be like. So you've been driving the Camaro again I take it?
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #66
Emu the Foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
I like having a lot of low end torque. That's why I like American Muscle to start with. Superchargers give you a lot more of that. I want neck snapping power when I step on the gas pedal... I want to walk into a Chiropractors office and have him be like. So you've been driving the Camaro again I take it?
+1
Old 03-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #67
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I think centrifugal superchargers are a joke for the daily-driver, to be honest.
In order to make respectable boost - You've got to rev the crap out of the motor - and strengthened parts or not, that doesn't exactly appeal to me.
centri's can be fine for dd's and as with any supercharger, you dont have to rev the crap out of it to get respectable boost... ur thinkin turbo...lol

the thing with s/c, if you want to make more boost without revvin the crap out of it, is to get a different size pulley. put a smaller pulley on a centri, or any s/c for that matter and it'll spin faster, thus getting a higher psi. ive got friends down here in chucktown who have 12psi s/c camaros for dd's. it all depends on the setup. and the fact that a dd is anything you are willing to put up with...ive seen guys drivin rustbuckets draggin a muffler down the road and others who run 10s in the 1/4, all depends on what you can deal with.

right now the only real market for LT1 camaros is centri or turbo. i much rather prefer the sound of a belt whining than the sound of hiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssss pop!... but thats just me. tho the market will be expanding to a twin screw setup. for a price... which im willing to pay to have a blower sitting right on top of my 355 LT1. ive got pics up here somewhere of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #68
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

here it is... what im planning for the ol el tee juan
Attached Images

Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 03-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #69
Emu the Foo

12 psi is alot IMO, unless youve got an intercooler. but i dont think i would go passed 7-10. but u think chevy will install cuz my friend tried on his monte SS but they sed nope, if it dont come on stock then ur warranty wont work with it on now
Old 03-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #70
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
12 psi is alot IMO, unless youve got an intercooler. but i dont think i would go passed 7-10. but u think chevy will install cuz my friend tried on his monte SS but they sed nope, if it dont come on stock then ur warranty wont work with it on now
depends on the s/c. if its like the magna charger for LS1's that directly replaces the intake manifold. it all depends on the stealership, the origional warranty, and the aftermarket equipment.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote: