Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-22-2008, 12:48 AM   #15
TT C6
Banned

Drives: C6, 96 383ci Z28 hardtop
Well, I'm reading reposts from the "Camaro focus group" now.

What is the latest information on curb weight?
TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:34 AM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
Well, I'm reading reposts from the "Camaro focus group" now.

What is the latest information on curb weight?
only solid info is that it will be less than 4000 lbs. Beyond that, we are guessing that it will be 3700-3800 lbs for the base V8. A bit less for the V6, a bit more for the supercharged one. Oh, and apparently Jenny Craig has been called.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #17
TT C6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
only solid info is that it will be less than 4000 lbs. Beyond that, we are guessing that it will be 3700-3800 lbs for the base V8. A bit less for the V6, a bit more for the supercharged one. Oh, and apparently Jenny Craig has been called.
My fully loaded 1994 Camaro Z28 convertible weighed 3,666 at the track.
I REALLY hope a 5th Gen V8 hardtop weighs less. 3,500 pounds is my limit for a V8 hardtop.
If it weighs more than that, it makes sense to buy a used C5/C6 or no option LS3 C6.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I REALLY hope a 5th Gen V8 hardtop weighs less. 3,500 pounds is my limit for a V8 hardtop.
If it weighs more than that, it makes sense to buy a used C5/C6 or no option LS3 C6.
This is going to sound harsh...but you better go ahead and start pricing a few C6's, then. 3500lbs is dreamland for a V8 version of this car.

They're not 'errors' per-say, but you compare a 2009 vehicle with one in 1994. There is going to be significant wieght gains in a time span of 15 years. All due to saftey/luxury improvments. And you compare this car to one with a LRA. IRS weighs more, there's no getting around that.

Just something to chew on; numerous magazines all reported that the G8 doesn't FEEL like it wieghs 3995 at all due to it's "World-class chassis". The Camaro is going to be even stiffer, and lighter than the G8. So it stands a very good chance at FEELING like it weighs like 3500, even though it comes in near 3700, for instance.

Don't write it off just yet because of wieght.......
Old 05-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #19
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Start looking for the vette, the V8 5th gen won't weigh less than 3600lbs, that I can guarantee.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #20
50SBLOW
Ex Mustang Owner

Drives: 88 Z28, 05 Durango

Makes sense to you. A lot of us are buying this just because it is a Camaro. My days at the track are done so I don't care if it weighs more than 4k.

Last edited by 50SBLOW; 05-22-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: oopsie
50SBLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #21
TT C6
Banned

I already have bought a C6. 2 to be exact.
I have driven the G8, and it FELT all of 4,100 lbs.
I'm standing by my post; 3,599lbs for a hardtop V8 if it 99 lbs makes anyone feel better.

I do appreciate a 5th Gen SS convertible (even at 4,000lbs) because it's a CAMARO, it's as beautiful as the 1st Gen, and it's a 4 seat convertible.
If I had kids, I could see rolling out in an all black 5th Gen vert for family night even at 4,000lbs.
But, for a muscle car coupe, GM has got to get the weight DOWN.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #22
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
I vote no sticky. It'll be at the top when the data is released.
Everything else will just be speculation.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #23
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Quote:
I already have bought a C6. 2 to be exact.
I have driven the G8, and it FELT all of 4,100 lbs.
I'm standing by my post; 3,599lbs for a hardtop V8 if it 99 lbs makes anyone feel better.

I do appreciate a 5th Gen SS convertible (even at 4,000lbs) because it's a CAMARO, it's as beautiful as the 1st Gen, and it's a 4 seat convertible.
If I had kids, I could see rolling out in an all black 5th Gen vert for family night even at 4,000lbs.
But, for a muscle car coupe, GM has got to get the weight DOWN.
GM has already stated its not a muscle car, its a rwd coupe for todays day and age. Meaning its safe, economical, and fun to drive(in that order). This car cant become the same thing the 4th gen did and survive. If this car is pure performance and nothing else it will fail. Thats why the V6 is more important than the V8 to the cars success.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #24
bowtiedriver

Drives: 2009 WhiteHot G8 Gt
I get what GM is doing with the whole marketing scheme, calling the car a rwd coupe. That may change some soccer moms mind, but to me I see a Camaro, a muscle car. I can see how they don't have to stress the power aspect, being that when someone says Camaro, you immediately think power,speed, and raw muscle.
Its kind of like a 21 year old girl going to a bar but calling it a club because it makes it seem hipper and cool. Would not want that old dirty bar where those old guys hang out at.
Give me a break, call it what it is, a modern day, technologically advanced performance car/muscle car. Possibly the best Camaro ever.
Sorry to go off weight topic but the whole changing the name of something to sell more of it, I see the same product, but I guess it works on some people so whatever.
bowtiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #25
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiedriver View Post
I get what GM is doing with the whole marketing scheme, calling the car a rwd coupe. That may change some soccer moms mind, but to me I see a Camaro, a muscle car. I can see how they don't have to stress the power aspect, being that when someone says Camaro, you immediately think power,speed, and raw muscle.
Its kind of like a 21 year old girl going to a bar but calling it a club because it makes it seem hipper and cool. Would not want that old dirty bar where those old guys hang out at.
Give me a break, call it what it is, a modern day, technologically advanced performance car/muscle car. Possibly the best Camaro ever.
Sorry to go off weight topic but the whole changing the name of something to sell more of it, I see the same product, but I guess it works on some people so whatever.
Well if we want to get technical the camaro and mustang are "pony" cars, cars built on a smaller chasis than a true sedan. True muscle cars are behemoth coupes and sedans with giant displacement motors stuffed in them.

But enough of semantics. The new camaro will be more marketed towards safety, Fuel efficiency, and affordable than to an enthusiast. GM knows they already have the enthusiast with the V8 monster, no need to push those sales. They need the people who ARE biased against it just because of previous generation history to look at it and realize its a great car all the way around.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #26
bowtiedriver

Drives: 2009 WhiteHot G8 Gt
I agree with the whole enthusiast v-8 deal, no question about that. I didn't have a 4th gen, but I could understand how people would be sour to the idea of owning another Camaro after some of the problems that I have heard you guys talk about. So yeah, they probably have something to prove to those buyers to redeem the Camaro name and put something out that will stand behind that name.
(unsarcastic)I just have a hard time listening to people talk about how things are labeled. I am the kind of person that if I like the looks, options, specs. overall feel of the car, price etc... I would make the decision to buy. The way I would figure this stuff out is, A. in here(from the known insiders), and B. go down to the dealership and get in one and see for myself. But I guess some people would rather watch tv commercials than go down and actually look at one. I don't understand how by saying this car is safe it would sell more cars, the car should be safe in the first place. You shouldn't be proud of something (safety) when its something that should be done anyway. Kind of like if you brag that you keep your kids fed, duuh you are supposed to do that.
anyway, I will drop it.
I will buy the car, I will love it, I will have it forever ( hopefully). that is, if it doesn't way too much. j.k
bowtiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #27
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I am the kind of person that if I like the looks, options, specs. overall feel of the car, price etc... I would make the decision to buy.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. It means your a smart buyer.

But here's where you need to step back a second and look at the whole picture:
Quote:
The way I would figure this stuff out is, A. in here(from the known insiders),
That's great - but how many of your average buyers belong to an enthusiast forum? Not many at all.

Quote:
B. go down to the dealership and get in one and see for myself. But I guess some people would rather watch tv commercials than go down and actually look at one.
It's not a matter of watching TV, but actually getting those people into a dealership. Marketing's sole purpose it to entice the buyer. It's like fishing. Marketing is the bait, and then reeling the fish in is the dealership experience (including a test-drive).

Quote:
I don't understand how by saying this car is safe it would sell more cars, the car should be safe in the first place. You shouldn't be proud of something (safety) when its something that should be done anyway. Kind of like if you brag that you keep your kids fed, duuh you are supposed to do that.
Really? You mean all buyers naturally assume that the Camaro, a big-ole V8 "Muscle" car is a safe vehicle? They don't! GM needs to put it out there: "5-star comprehensive crash-test ratings". That's part of the bait.

Quote:
anyway, I will drop it.
I will buy the car, I will love it, I will have it forever ( hopefully). that is, if it doesn't way too much. j.k
I know you said you'd drop it...but I had to put my two-cents in. It's all about getting a buyer into a showroom. They need to say ''look - it's good on paper, too!" If it's not marketed as a big, gas-guzzling, tire-peeling Muscle Car; but instead as a class-leading sporty coupe, they're going to open car sales up to a Tremendously larger consumer-base. And that right there is the key to Camaro's life.

but as for the second part of this quote; Amen, brother!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #28
TT C6
Banned

Soooooo, what are the latest numbers for the curb weight?
Specifically, what is the curb weight for a SS with a manaual trans?

Thanks.