Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #575
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGER BEE View Post
Has anyone solved this problem by just replacing the insulator p/n 20859337.
It helps with some cars, but when we install our lowering coils or coilovers we chuck those in the spare parts bin and have no noise. We have done 6 cars in 2 weeks at one Texas shop. Not a noise to be found.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #576
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Thanks Pete

The dealer as decided to try the insulator and see if helps after providing the P/N 20859337 was GM number and it supersedes the old black type of insulator.

Have a good day and thanks again for the prompt answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
It helps with some cars, but when we install our lowering coils or coilovers we chuck those in the spare parts bin and have no noise. We have done 6 cars in 2 weeks at one Texas shop. Not a noise to be found.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #577
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
LET US KNOW!!!

Still, since I have a 2012 I should have the new insulator, so don't get your hopes up.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #578
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Doesn't your car (2012 have the new type (Beige color) of insulator.From what I was told, is that the olive color insulator supersedes the black insulator.The part number remained the same, but the part changed to a urethane type of rubber.Does yours make this thumping noise over slow bumps or over rouge sharp surfaces at slow speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
LET US KNOW!!!

Still, since I have a 2012 I should have the new insulator, so don't get your hopes up.

Last edited by STINGER BEE; 04-19-2012 at 06:49 AM.
STINGER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #579
blackswan

Quote:
Doesn't your car (2012 have the new type (olive color) of insulator.From what I was told, is that the olive color insulator supersedes the black insulator.The part number remained the same, but the part changed to a urethane type of rubber.Does yours make this thumping noise over slow bumps or over rouge sharp surfaces at slow speeds.
Rough sharp surfaces, like washboard type roads, going 10-20mph or so.

By slow bump, do you mean going over a speed bump slowly?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #580
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

I meant over those parking lot type speed bumps and sharp rough edges where the asphalt is as been broken away.
The dealer replaced the the insulators yesterday,I haven't driven it other than bringing it home.I hope to give it a road test this weekend and will let you know if helped or not.

Quote:
Rough sharp surfaces, like washboard type roads, going 10-20mph or so.

By slow bump, do you mean going over a speed bump slowly?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #581
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
i just started noticing clanking noise passenger front. only suspension mod in front is peddlers radius arm bushing.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #582
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopss View Post
i just started noticing clanking noise passenger front. only suspension mod in front is peddlers radius arm bushing.
FYI --

When I install lowering coils on a Camaro I throw out the upper coil insulator. When I install coilovers, I throw out the upper insulator. The upper insulator will help with the hydraulic whoosh / flutter / wheeze. It is a good way to get the Dealer to break down the strut and reassemble it with the strut jam nut and retaining plate nuts tight to address the harder clicking sound under warranty

If a front control arm has been removed and a noise develops the first thing to do is tighten the bolt that passes through the bush and tighten the nut on the ball stud at the knuckle. As long as the wrenches are out... tighten them all
Old 04-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #583
73vette

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, 1973 Corvette
I just changed over the fronts last night.. did them twice b/c I thought I did them wrong! (Once I set it on the ground, I noticed the upper strut retainer wasn't flush with the car (under the hood). I was then told that that is normal, and I just hadn't noticed it before.

So I took them both back off, and put them together again.

The 2nd time I tightened the spring perch retaining nut all the way down, to make sure I would have enough thread up top to twist the upper nut cover onto, and it all seemed to go pretty well.

But now I can hear my front suspension when I go over bumps - something sounds loose (but I used air tools except the upper nut.
Any idea why it would sound that way?
It also drives straight down the road still..

Old 04-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #584
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
thanks Justice Pete it was bolts on the swaybar that connect to chassis they were loose. all good now.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #585
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Had the front strut insulators replaced ,drove it this weekend and found a big difference in the ride when going over speed bumps and irregularities in the road,like sharp rigid areas.
The thump is still there but it got more of a soft cushion when hitting the bumps or rigid potholes etc.It improved it enough where I can live with it.I just hope it remains that way, but having them replaced made a difference.Thanks Pete for all the advice and finally I convinced the dealer to at least give it a try and see what the results were.Also they had to adjust the front alignment a little bit to bring it within specs.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #586
blackswan

Dealer says there's nothing they can do, they do hear the noise. They let me drive a '12 SS and it was actually louder than mine, go figure.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #587
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73vette View Post
I just changed over the fronts last night.. did them twice b/c I thought I did them wrong! (Once I set it on the ground, I noticed the upper strut retainer wasn't flush with the car (under the hood). I was then told that that is normal, and I just hadn't noticed it before.

So I took them both back off, and put them together again.

The 2nd time I tightened the spring perch retaining nut all the way down, to make sure I would have enough thread up top to twist the upper nut cover onto, and it all seemed to go pretty well.

But now I can hear my front suspension when I go over bumps - something sounds loose (but I used air tools except the upper nut.
Any idea why it would sound that way?
It also drives straight down the road still..

With the weight of the car on the wheels remove the strut retaining plate nut and the plate. Take a 24mm deep-well socket with a breaker bar and tighten those strut jam nuts down. Replace the plate and tighten the retaining plate nut the same way. Test drive and let me know what you hear or hopefully don't hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopss View Post
thanks Justice Pete it was bolts on the swaybar that connect to chassis they were loose. all good now.
Quote:
Had the front strut insulators replaced ,drove it this weekend and found a big difference in the ride when going over speed bumps and irregularities in the road,like sharp rigid areas.
The thump is still there but it got more of a soft cushion when hitting the bumps or rigid potholes etc.It improved it enough where I can live with it.I just hope it remains that way, but having them replaced made a difference.Thanks Pete for all the advice and finally I convinced the dealer to at least give it a try and see what the results were.Also they had to adjust the front alignment a little bit to bring it within specs.
If it helped, it will continue to help

Quote:
Dealer says there's nothing they can do, they do hear the noise. They let me drive a '12 SS and it was actually louder than mine, go figure.
We talk about so many noises in this thread can you clarify which one you are referring to?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #588
73vette

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, 1973 Corvette
Took mine all apart this weekend and installed some lowering springs onto the SS struts... This time, I hand tightened the upper nut (on the fronts) to hold the strut in place. Buttoned everything else up. THEN I put the car back on the ground, took that nut off, and tightened the spring perch retaining nut (which holds the spring on), put the upper strut retainer back on, and torqued the upper nut down. No problems, no noise. Got an alignment yesterday, and I am SOOO happy!