Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-28-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Exclamation Camaro Convert at Frankfurt Auto Show: disappointing?

Here's the link(pics at the end of the page):

http://news.caradisiac.com/En-direct...io-Concept-340

Here my translation(freestyle english):

"Yup ... The camaro convert concept presented in Frankfurt wasn't as emotional as I would have thought ... Maybe it is because of the way too large amount of pics that we are used to see ... well, still it let's a strange feeling!

Sure, its lines are fluid and aggressive, again, the neo retro style hits the bullseye, the front is sublime and all ingredients are gathered for a muscle car resurrection.

But here is the point, as all the good old times muscle cars are re updated, we remain skeptical seeing what's .. only a concept!

we can't forget that the Ford Mustang have lost a lot of his fiery in between the concept and the prod version!

Then, the "revivals series" is starting to loose any kind of originality. The question is: will the Camaro, whose prod date is 2009 in USA, come too late?

I can hardly imagine the charm of the Prod Camaro , with more reasonnable proportions and a wiser interior.

Maybe it is also the Convert look that gives the Camaro that "middle class look", but presented that way, looking at certain angles, it looks ... almost fat!

Anyway, the true judgement will be on the road. Giving the time Chevrolet took to developp the car, and with the kinda engine that should equip the car, we can think that it should make a noisy entry into a lowering segment.

Will it be able to make it anyway? yes, if it keeps a unic personnality.

The Camaro almost died once, let's hope it won't be re lived for nothing"!

I agree:
- convert sucks
- too much pictures from chevrolet and wayyyyy too long development

But i personnaly don't remember what was the Mustang concept look (if you have any pics ...). and the guy is pretty .. contradicting himself: he says it sucks and should fail, then it rules a should do it even in a dying segment.

and ... common .. ONLY a concept?

anyway, few good pics for convert lovers after the article on the link

Last edited by Punk_rider; 09-28-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Punk_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
The question is: Was that the general consensus among those that attended the Frankfurt Auto Show? Or were most of the attendees dutifully impressed with the beauty of the Camaro?

Imagine, calling the Camaro fat?! That's like calling Arnold Schwarzenegger fat because his muscles stick out farther than a normal person. It's a muscle car, there's not an ounce of fat on it. If you don't believe me, try taking it on head-to-head and see how far you get.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
Punk_rider

Well ... dunno ... remember the journalist is French ... so constantly pissed off!!

but I must agree with him: there is a big chance that the 'Maro may arrive too late ... i'm even scared to be bored and start to hate it ... i hate to wait ...
Old 09-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
I just don't understand it... the challenger isn't going to be out till may 08... 7 months later you get the camaro... what other competitor is out there? How can you call 7 months late to the market...
Old 09-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
A lot of people believe that the modern Mustang re-vived, and ended the neo-muscle car era...What they don't understand is that it hasn't even started. Most of these cars...( Camaro) will offer excellent fuel economy, and excellent power. That will be the "neo" part of the era.

And these are not just Muscle cars. These have v6 options, they are sporty cars for all those young people and families who just want a sweet-ass looking car for less than 30k...

I tune people like that reporter out. The honest truth is, IMO, they haven't clue what they're talking about. They just report because it's their job. Also keep in mind, guys: It's sooo much easier to be negative towards things than positive. Thinking forward requires much more effort - but the return is more than worth it.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
RichieFlorida

Drives: 69 SS Camaro Convertible
The Camaro is going to be a star. What do the French know.

The only thing the french have been good with for the last hundred years is greeting invading armies & waving the white flag.
RichieFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieFlorida View Post

The only thing the french have been good with for the last hundred years is greeting invading armies & waving the white flag.
HAHAHA

If they dont like it in Europe, then it shouldn't be sold there. As long as it's sold in the US im fine! They have too high standards for their cars, they have to take turns like a dream, be super small, not have pushrods, etc I can go on all day.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
Punk_rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieFlorida View Post

Honestly, I would find it funny if you would have added or or

let's think you have just forgotten, I wouldn't like to be forced to take my flag and remember you that if USA wasn't here, we would lick hitler's feet, but if France wasn't here, you would lick queen elizabeth feets.

so, let's keep a good mood into this forum, we're not here to bash each others, ok?

Old 09-29-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Punk_rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
HAHAHA

If they dont like it in Europe, then it shouldn't be sold there. As long as it's sold in the US im fine! They have too high standards for their cars, they have to take turns like a dream, be super small, not have pushrods, etc I can go on all day.

I don't think the journalist is talking "as a french"! i don't even think he believes the maro will be sold in France (good news i'll be the only owner uphere).

I guess his analysis can be defended: look the giugiaro concept for the mustang; doesn't look much like a neo retro, looks much more like a brand new interpretation.
he is also right because neo retro started wit the new beetle. a long time ago now.

Where i think he is wrong is that the Camaro is not really that neo retro, it looks much more like a new car to me. I've never been such a fan of 4 first camaro gens, but i'm a fan of this one.

Where i CAN'T AGREE MORE with him is when he talks about to much advertising on the car, and too long developping time.

where YOU are right dude is that we in europe definitely doesn't have, not that much about standards but, not the same USE of cars.

most of americans (out of new yorkers etc) would just die alone in their houses without a car. we europeans almost can do everything by foot or subway but taking holydays. thus we don't need that kinda american cars (look the new chevy line which is clearly aiming europa with small cars).
Old 09-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
RichieFlorida

I am not bashing France. Just that there army sucks and they do there politics. Example in 1978 they would not let us use there airspace to rescue American hostages that were held for over a year in Iran. This led to alternate routes and several young soldiers dying. I was personally involved in this & lost a good friend.

Both World Wars France got there ass kicked. Both times the Brits & Americans rescued them. This is not bashing. Just facts. I did many years in the military so you kind of struck a chord PR. Like you said let us stick to cars and not politics. To bad the world did not share this view. Then all we would fight over is who is faster.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:08 PM   #11
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
I agree:
- convert sucks
You suck
Old 09-29-2007, 04:53 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
...why can I see this thread being closed soon?

Don't start Fighting over France...If this reporter represents ALL French...then Katie Couric represents the US...
Old 09-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
RichieFlorida

Yikes!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #14
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Let me be the first to say-

I love the French.

French Fries! LOL JK

The old woman that lives behind me was born in France and didn't come to the US until she was around 13. She's a very nice woman.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote