Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
DIY Video Transmission and Differential fill and drain plug location for M6

hello friends, i decided to change my transmission fluid and differential fluid yesterday, i found several helpful post on this and i have linked them below, i also decided to make a couple of quick videos showing the drain and fill plugs locations, hope this helps

lupe

this video is of the differential plugs

transmission plugs, manual 6 speed

here is few pics also, the tall bottle is the differential fluid bottle, i 1st did the diff change, this took all of 15 min. very easy, the bottle fit in there just fine.
once done, i cleaned the bottle out and filled it with the trans fluid and used a clear hose about 6 inches, i was able to squeeze about half the bottle and then i would have to refill. now you can go get a pump for about $5-$10 from autozone but i was lazy. because i was lazy it took a little longer, about 30-40 min. oh, i had a small oil squirt can that i used at the end to make sure the transmission was topped off.

here are some links i found helpful

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76352
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52132
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116059

lupe
Attached Images

Last edited by overhaulengines; 01-17-2011 at 11:04 AM.
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Nice!

Thanks for these

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
Good reference, thanks.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
pyledrivr
SW

Drives: 2011 Camaro Summit White
How much fluid does it take for the V6 manual trans?

2011 Summit White LS
pyledrivr@hotmail.com
pyledrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
patrickt

Drives: still saving!
good info thanks for posting this vid!
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
kencam

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Maggie Rally Yellow
What kind of wrench is used to undo these drain plugs? And what size?
kencam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
overhaulengines

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencam View Post
What kind of wrench is used to undo these drain plugs? And what size?
uhhh, i slept since i did these videos lol, but i think you can use the end of a 1/2 drive ratchet it a square drive

lupe
Old 02-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
kencam

Square drive? Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhaulengines View Post
uhhh, i slept since i did these videos lol, but i think you can use the end of a 1/2 drive ratchet it a square drive

lupe
Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
overhaulengines

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencam View Post
Square drive? Excellent!
lol square drive, i didn't know what to call it

lupe
Old 02-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
kencam

I think you're spot on. Anyway I know what you mean.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Great thread and thanks! I just did my differential fluid change and I'd like to add my comments and tips!

1) The tip on one of the attached threads that says to raise the front right of the car to drain more is spot on! Do it!
2) Be sure to have the car level when filling! If that means raising the car at all 4 corners in order to get under there then do it! I started filling with only the rear raised up and I found out that when I lowered it it needed another 3-4 ounces. I was able to reach under to finish filling even with the car lowered!
3) Not sure about the stock exhaust but with my Solo cat back the rear section was in the way so I had to remove it before I could even get to the drain plug! It only added maybe 15-20 minutes to the job but made it WAY easier to do the job!

The old fluid looked kinda dark but really not as bad as I thought it would be. I have 14,550 miles and there was about the same build-up on the magnets as the OP had. It took about 5 ounces shy of the full quart and I added about 3 ounces of additive.

This thread was very helpfull and again, thanks!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Just finished changing the rear diff fluid. Easy chore and great write-up! I just hit 20k miles and the rear was moaning a little bit.

One suggestion for folks; I have a bass boat and when changing the lower gear oil, I use a pump that screws onto the bottle. It has a long hose that you put into the lower unit of the motor. Well, the thing works great for this job as well as the pump fits the GM gear oil bottle too. Just insert the hose into the differential and pump it right in there. No squeezing the bottle or trying to turn it upside down.

And I do still have the stock exhaust. All I needed was a 3/8" drive rachet. That's it. It fits right in there with plenty of clearance.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
Marchino

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hello, I changed my diff.fluid last Saturday (14k miles).

Few questions.

I used a manual pump with a long rubber pipe going into the filling hole. I drained all the fluid and then I mixed 1 quart of GM (AC delco) oil with 2.5 oz of friction modifier.
After squezzing the pump all the way down, I couldnt pump the fluid left in the pipe into the hole so in the end I didn't put in about 2 ounces of fluid. Should I be worried? I checked the level by putting into the hole the tip of a small iron stick and the fluid was there. I didn't see any fluid coming out while filling the oil housing though. The car was on a perfectly flat level.
Do you think I' better buy another quart of oil and put in the missing 2 ounces?

Last question: are the draining plug and the filling plug identical?

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #14
overhaulengines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchino View Post
Hello, I changed my diff.fluid last Saturday (14k miles).

Few questions.

I used a manual pump with a long rubber pipe going into the filling hole. I drained all the fluid and then I mixed 1 quart of GM (AC delco) oil with 2.5 oz of friction modifier.
After squezzing the pump all the way down, I couldnt pump the fluid left in the pipe into the hole so in the end I didn't put in about 2 ounces of fluid. Should I be worried? I checked the level by putting into the hole the tip of a small iron stick and the fluid was there. I didn't see any fluid coming out while filling the oil housing though. The car was on a perfectly flat level.
Do you think I' better buy another quart of oil and put in the missing 2 ounces?

Last question: are the draining plug and the filling plug identical?

Thanks a lot!
i dont think it would make a difference, but i would top it off just to be safe. also it been a while since i did this but i believe the 2 plugs are identical.

lupe