Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
GSX
Falcon Punch

Drives: Scion tC (way too slow)
DMV- Driver's Worst Enemy

Wow I hate the DMV. The lines are so long just to get a driver's license. And Now This Happens.
GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
They already do that here and it's never been an inconvenience for me. The temporary license that they give you has your picture on it and works just like a regular license. Unless you're waiting until the last minute to renew, that should only affect first time licenses and new residents. Having a paper license for a few days shouldn't really be that big of a deal.

I understand the P.O. Box issue, but there are quite a few places that don't ship to P.O. Boxes. I'm sure most of these people have a friend or relative that they can get mail from. If not, the DMV should just get the license mailed to their offices and people can pick them up when they're ready.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight View Post
They already do that here and it's never been an inconvenience for me. The temporary license that they give you has your picture on it and works just like a regular license.

I've never considered it an inconvenience. (and our DMV sucks bigtime, long lines are an understatement; Think 2 hours waiting in line just to get a permit )
Old 01-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
If anything, this would make the lines shorter. No more waiting for them to print off and laminate a permanent license. All they have to do is take the picture and print out a little piece of paper. Granted, laminating is not the longest process in the world, but I don't see where they think this will lengthen the process.

When you walk out of the DMV you will have a license/ID. Yes it is temporary, but it will still work just like the permanent one, only for a shorter period of time.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Wow, you North Carolinans ought to come out to California sometime. Then you'll see how bad the DMV can really be.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
GSX
Falcon Punch

Drives: Scion tC (way too slow)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Wow, you North Carolinans ought to come out to California sometime. Then you'll see how bad the DMV can really be.
I can only Imagine but hands down I think everyone still hates going to the DMV no matter what state anyone is in.
GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
This is the good and bad in arizona.. My license is good until 2046.. when I turn 65..

The good, never have to renew..

The bad, The old people who are blind and infirmed but still under 65 can still drive.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX View Post
I can only Imagine but hands down I think everyone still hates going to the DMV no matter what state anyone is in.
Actually, I never have any problems when I go to the DMV. The wait time is usually less than 15 mins.

The only thing NJ does that is a little different (but not quite as inconvenient as it sounds) is that you have to have 6 Points worth of identification. Certain items are worth different amounts of points.

Birth Cert = 4 points
Current License = 4 points
Social Security card = 2 points I think
There are other items worth 1, 2 ,3 or 4 points. But I forget them off the top of my head.

Otherwise I'm usually in and out of the DMV in 20 mins or less.

Many places refuse to allow a PO Box address. When I purchased my 2000 S10 Xtreme I had a PO Box on my license, I was informed my license had to reflect my physical address at that time. No license should have PO Box anyway, that isn't where you live, and the license should have your physical address.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:58 AM   #9
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
We can renew our licenses here online. How cool is that! Of course, there are certain specifics that need to be met for doing this. Not everyone can...

But, we also get a paper ID right then and there...in line. The ID is mailed. It works fine, no probs.

Your deal over there actually is best for everyone. If you have ever talked to someone who's identity has been stolen, you'll know EXACTLY what I mean!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:13 AM   #10
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
i hear ya man i'm in northern california and dam we have some long lines
Old 01-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
Bowtie Guy Z28

Drives: 98' Z28 08 CC Z71 2010 SS/RS
I love the DMV out here!! In fact now that this topic has come up, I think I'll go there today...just for kicks and hang out in the line! Ha ha
Bowtie Guy Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote