Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-13-2010, 04:43 AM   #1
IOM-SS

Drives: 2010 SS RS 2G1FT1EWXA9163596
NEW LAW OF THE LAND

friend of mine sent this to me!
Subject: Fw: IMPORTANT TO KNOW! NEW LAW IN CALIFORNIA AND EVERY STATE EXCEPT TWO & D.C.

A GOOD THING TO KNOW: AVOID GETTING AN EXPENSIVE TICKET!

New Law: If a patrol car is pulled over to the side of the road, you have to change to the next lane (away from the stopped vehicle) or slow down by 20 mph. Every state except Hawaii and Maryland and D.C. has adopted this law now.

In California , the "Move-over" law became operative on January first, 2010. http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, if you are able, you are to move into the far lane. The cost of the ticket $754, with 3 points on your license and a mandatory court appearance.

Please tell everyone you know about this new law. check snopes to verify this if you doubt it

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/moveover.asp

In California, the fine is $724 plus 3 points on your DMV record. ouch
can think of alot better things to spend my money on than a ticket 3 points on my DMV our insurance would go up automatically
i agree it is a good law it saves lives
IOM-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I didn't realize the ticket was that expensive, but it was all over the news here in MA when it started in January. I'd hate to get popped for that one, but then I've always moved over anyway.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
This has been a law in Michigan for a few years now. Its a good law, it helps keep the officer and individual pulled over safe in most situations.

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
IOM-SS

Drives: 2010 SS RS 2G1FT1EWXA9163596
new law

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
This has been a law in Michigan for a few years now. Its a good law, it helps keep the officer and individual pulled over safe in most situations.
I agree it is a good law it saves lives.
IOM-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
I have been doing this since I started driving in the 80's. I do not want to be responsible for clipping a person if they step back. I do this even if someone is pulled over changing a tire, it just makes sense!

However in NY/NJ bumper to bumper sometimes you cannot move over. But usually at that point traffic is moving slower anyway.

Good New Law, Great long time common sense!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Pathetic when they have to enact laws due to lack of courtesy and common sense.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
I don't know about the other states but I am 99% sure in Texas the emergency vehicle has to have its lights on for this law to apply.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Now in BC as well.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOM-SS View Post
friend of mine sent this to me!
Subject: Fw: IMPORTANT TO KNOW! NEW LAW IN CALIFORNIA AND EVERY STATE EXCEPT TWO & D.C.

A GOOD THING TO KNOW: AVOID GETTING AN EXPENSIVE TICKET!

New Law: If a patrol car is pulled over to the side of the road, you have to change to the next lane (away from the stopped vehicle) or slow down by 20 mph. Every state except Hawaii and Maryland and D.C. has adopted this law now.

In California , the "Move-over" law became operative on January first, 2010. http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, if you are able, you are to move into the far lane. The cost of the ticket $754, with 3 points on your license and a mandatory court appearance.

Please tell everyone you know about this new law. check snopes to verify this if you doubt it

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/moveover.asp

In California, the fine is $724 plus 3 points on your DMV record. ouch
can think of alot better things to spend my money on than a ticket 3 points on my DMV our insurance would go up automatically
i agree it is a good law it saves lives
The move over law has been in effect since 2006. It's more of a highway patrol law than anything. It includes towtrucks as well, and, new for '10, caltrans. the ticket is only like $145 and is 1 point on your record. California has a 3 point system where if you get 3 points in 1 year, your DL gets suspended. A three point ticket would be outrageous considering DUI, reckless driving, and speed contest tickets are 2 points.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
I have been doing this since I started driving in the 80's. I do not want to be responsible for clipping a person if they step back. I do this even if someone is pulled over changing a tire, it just makes sense!

However in NY/NJ bumper to bumper sometimes you cannot move over. But usually at that point traffic is moving slower anyway.

Good New Law, Great long time common sense!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
Pathetic when they have to enact laws due to lack of courtesy and common sense.
+1