Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 09-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Drives: SIM 2LT
Snow tire Purchase

I contacted a buffalo NY tire place today regarding snow tires for my wifes cr and my 2LT with RS. Heres the response I got. If anyone is interested maybe we can get a group buy. He is just over the bridge in buffalo would be a nice cruise for a bunch of us to go

Below is the response I got here is the question he asked that maybe someone can answer

You should check with the dealer and make certain you can use an 18 inch wheel on your car.

I'm almost certain the RS package Camaro's come with a significantly larger front brake caliper that requires a 20 inch wheel.
Installation is $13.00 per wheel and includes all state disposal fees, mounting, balancing and valve stems.

Here is his response.

Yes we will store your summer wheels/tires free of charge.

For your Camaro...

You will need to use 4 snow tires on this car.

You can not put only 2 snow tires on this vehicle, it will throw off the stability control, ABS and other speed data.

Also the front wheels do all of the turning and braking, you need traction as much in the front as the rear.

You can use this tire size...

225/60/18

I highly recommend this snow tire...

226/60/18 Firestone Winteforce $129.95 Canadian discount price $117.95

Click the link below for reviews...

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...ommentStatus=P

Again you'll have to use an alloy wheel...

18x8 MSW Type 16 Wheel (silver) $128.50

You should check with the dealer and make certain you can use an 18 inch wheel on your car.

I'm almost certain the RS package Camaro's come with a significantly larger front brake caliper that requires a 20 inch wheel.
Installation is $13.00 per wheel and includes all state disposal fees, mounting, balancing and valve stems.

Sales tax in New York is 8.75%

All prices are $USD.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
sigma_1966
My baby is here

No one interested ?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Cyber_Gray_Autobot

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
After paying duty there may not be a big savings. I have priced similar tires and they are not that much more in Canada.

Plus, I want to support the local economy.
Cyber_Gray_Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Where did u price them ? How much. I have had nothing less that $200 per tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_Gray_Autobot View Post
After paying duty there may not be a big savings. I have priced similar tires and they are not that much more in Canada.

Plus, I want to support the local economy.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
christcringle

Drives: 2010 2SS/2011 Pacecar/2011 LS/ZL1
Send a message via Skype™ to christcringle
Unhappy Please Please

I dont hunderstand guy you ready to paid whinter tire and rim 1000$ to 2000$ for your camaro and the risk to get a slide and scrape your ride
Get for the same price a hold car and save your beauty
christcringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Spiv
Why you gotta be hatin'?

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christcringle View Post
I dont hunderstand guy you ready to paid whinter tire and rim 1000$ to 2000$ for your camaro and the risk to get a slide and scrape your ride
Get for the same price a hold car and save your beauty
True, but you have to understand not everyone can do that. And plans change.

I had it all setup - Buy the car, in the winter park it in my garage and use my old car.

Whelp, I had to sell my old car (nothing to do with buying the camaro) and I may not be able to park it in my garage anyways.

At least I sold my old car to my girlfriend so at least I can access it if I need to.
Spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
boreas

Drives: 2LT/RS TFE yeah!
You'd risk going through Quebec's winter with a 2000$ car? Not with my kids in it. Le Guide de L'Auto (coming out this week) gives 4 out of 5 for "winter use" to the Camaro 2010. Get winter tires, drive safely, make sure your car is rustproofed.

I've had my civic 4 years, going through winters, and there is not a spot of rust on it, why would the Camaro be worst? Also, why would I go out at 6 in the morning, shovel off my "beater" and then freeze to death the first 10 minutes (out of 20) it takes me to commute when I can drive my nice Camaro out of my heated garage?

I know it's better for the car, but still, I won't pay another 2000$ for a sh*t car, plus license, plus winter tires for the "beater", plus extra insurance (even if it's 100$).

As for the group buy, it's interesting, but Buffalo is a bit far from my place (8 hours drive)! I might pay the extra cash and have it delivered from Tirerack...

Phil
boreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
A few points to consider for those who must drive there Camaro in the winter:

- Winter tires SIGNIFICANTLY improve the ability to drive, turn and most importantly stop on ice and snow
- All seasons just don't cut it - particularly for a rear wheel drive car and particularly if you don't have the capacity to STAY where ever you happen to be when you get more than a dusting of snow
- If you live in quebec, winter tires are mandatory
- 18" rims (at least none that I know of) will fit over the Brembos.
- Don't forget the TPMS. The Camaro has it as do nearly all new cars. I'm not sure if they've changed it but for some vehicles you MUST buy TPM's for your winter tires too b/c otherwise the vehicle gets no signal and won't go into drive. Like I said, I don't know if this is true for the Camaro. Someone check the manual. If ture, add another $100 per corner.

I have a friend in Bracebridge who has a tire shop and would probably be willing to do a group buy/install. Again, bit of a drive, but a nice drive, and actually more convenient than going over the boarder. Face it, unless you leave your summer tires on the other side of the boarder, you're going to have to pay the duty etc.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
Spiv
Why you gotta be hatin'?

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
I'd be interested in a group buy, but I'd have to iron out all the costs first.
Spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
I will most like just swap tires this winter... yes there are 275/40/20 snow tires! LOL! On my first mustang I did 4 snow tires all around... my last mustang I just did 2 snow tires in the back and i had zero problems... I'm thinking I may start the winter with just the backs... if need I will add the fronts...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Get some pricing from him. Count me in and My wifes lexus IS250 needs set of winters a well. Let me know.

Bracebridge would be a nice drive in the fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro View Post
I have a friend in Bracebridge who has a tire shop and would probably be willing to do a group buy/install. Again, bit of a drive, but a nice drive, and actually more convenient than going over the boarder. Face it, unless you leave your summer tires on the other side of the boarder, you're going to have to pay the duty etc.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Duty is only paid on items not made in the U.S. You will have to pay for GST and PST, However if your over there 24 or 36 hrs I believe you can bring back $500 worth of merchandise per person for free. So bring the wife and kids make a weekend out of it

Quote:
you're going to have to pay the duty etc.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
tededfred

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2LT!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma_1966 View Post
Get some pricing from him. Count me in and My wifes lexus IS250 needs set of winters a well. Let me know.

Bracebridge would be a nice drive in the fall
I'd be in for a group buy as well.
tededfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
Sholt_c33

Drives: '94 Camaro Z28
Quote:
A few points to consider for those who must drive there Camaro in the winter:

- Winter tires SIGNIFICANTLY improve the ability to drive, turn and most importantly stop on ice and snow
- All seasons just don't cut it - particularly for a rear wheel drive car and particularly if you don't have the capacity to STAY where ever you happen to be when you get more than a dusting of snow
- If you live in quebec, winter tires are mandatory
- 18" rims (at least none that I know of) will fit over the Brembos.
- Don't forget the TPMS. The Camaro has it as do nearly all new cars. I'm not sure if they've changed it but for some vehicles you MUST buy TPM's for your winter tires too b/c otherwise the vehicle gets no signal and won't go into drive. Like I said, I don't know if this is true for the Camaro. Someone check the manual. If ture, add another $100 per corner.

GM offers TPM sensors for $46.70 each part #19242930 and I will be selling them for $42.03 each.

As for what you are saying about the 18" wheels, I just want to be certain that you are saying, they won't work on the Camaro's with the Brembro brakes...Correct?

Regardless, I have access to the 18" Heritage steel wheel part #92197458 and will be selling them for $137.50 each if anyone is interested.

I'll look into pricing of the snow tires in the near future, but wondered if someone could give me the size needed. Thanks.
Sholt_c33 is offline   Reply With Quote