Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #43
zzz28zzz

Drives: 2010 Chev Camaro 2SS/RS VR -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2LowChevy View Post
Front plates are stupid looking no matter how you mount them. If you dont want to spend any money, do like I have done in the past on my show trucks and zip tie it to the passenger side sun visor and while your driving you can flip it down and it can clearly be seen. Its easy to take off or you can just flip the visor up and it goes un noticed. No matter what though, traffic cops lie so if they dont like you they will get you in trouble no matter what(yay power trips!).
That was a pretty generic/idiotic statement.
Kinda like Camaro drivers have mullets
zzz28zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #44
New2010CamaroLover

Drives: 2015 Ashen Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz28zzz View Post
That was a pretty generic/idiotic statement.
Kinda like Camaro drivers have mullets
HAHAHAHA
Old 04-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #45
SillyCamaro

Drives: 2010 Orange Inferno Camaro 2SS
Police Officers have a duty to enforce laws.. they don't make the laws they enforce them. I'm a police officer in NY and the front plate is required here and I can't believe it's not required in more states. When you're looking for a certain vehicle you're able to read a lot more plates when you can see the ones coming at you then you'd be able to by only reading the one you're behind. Or when your attempting to turn on someone to pull them over its a lot safer to get the plate as the person is passing you and type it in to get the registered owners information (warrants, stay away orders, firearms) before you pull up behind them to get close enough to read the plate and close enough for the knuckle head to jump out and shoot you!

As far as getting cited for it depends on the cop. I've written a lot of citations for not having it but I've never written it to someone with a sports type car. Not because of the car, but usually because 1. when you stop someone one who's respectful and honest it goes a long way. (which most people I stop with a nice car usually are.) 2. they usually tell the truth. "if you have to write me the ticket I won't be upset but there is no way in **** I'm drilling a hole in my bumper to put that ridicules plate on my car!!

Most cops I know just use it as a way to stop a car, talk to the driver and see if their license is suspended, if they have drugs or alcohol in the car, or if they're wanted. If you're respectful to the officer, and admit that you're in the wrong and suck it up you'll probably be OK, and if you're not then pay the $30 dollar fine and thank the officer for putting his life on the line to protect yours and your family's life, he's only doing his job.
SillyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #46
New2010CamaroLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyCamaro View Post
Police Officers have a duty to enforce laws.. they don't make the laws they enforce them. I'm a police officer in NY and the front plate is required here and I can't believe it's not required in more states. When you're looking for a certain vehicle you're able to read a lot more plates when you can see the ones coming at you then you'd be able to by only reading the one you're behind. Or when your attempting to turn on someone to pull them over its a lot safer to get the plate as the person is passing you and type it in to get the registered owners information (warrants, stay away orders, firearms) before you pull up behind them to get close enough to read the plate and close enough for the knuckle head to jump out and shoot you!

As far as getting cited for it depends on the cop. I've written a lot of citations for not having it but I've never written it to someone with a sports type car. Not because of the car, but usually because 1. when you stop someone one who's respectful and honest it goes a long way. (which most people I stop with a nice car usually are.) 2. they usually tell the truth. "if you have to write me the ticket I won't be upset but there is no way in **** I'm drilling a hole in my bumper to put that ridicules plate on my car!!

Most cops I know just use it as a way to stop a car, talk to the driver and see if their license is suspended, if they have drugs or alcohol in the car, or if they're wanted. If you're respectful to the officer, and admit that you're in the wrong and suck it up you'll probably be OK, and if you're not then pay the $30 dollar fine and thank the officer for putting his life on the line to protect yours and your family's life, he's only doing his job.
Well said... Definitly have respect for the 50.. Being a paramedic i run with them a lot, but now that i know it's only 30 bucks, i might push the limit a lil more... Sorry i know the fact that the ticket is only 30$ wasn't the point of your response but that's actually not that bad, lol.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #47
SWHCPA
Snow White can be naughty

Drives: '10 Camaro/'67 Mustang
Send a message via AIM to SWHCPA Send a message via Yahoo to SWHCPA Send a message via Skype™ to SWHCPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
I would instruct the dealer to not install the mount NOW, before your car arrives.
Have them throw the mount in the trunk for now.
I'd be tempted to leave it there till I got hassled and then your line would be something like; I just recieved the mounting frame, it's here in the trunk.
Ya might catch a slide depending on how draconian your town is w/enforcement.
Most officers HATE writing equipment violations, at least, those that I've met over the years.
In the meantime, you can come up w/a creative mounting if so desired.

My thoughts,
Rob
I did exactly this with my Crossfire and never had the issue come up in the 39months I had the car on lease. When I turned it in, I just threw the front bracket (& it was UGLY) in the luggage area and let 'er rip. In TX, if you're stopped by a State Trooper and act nice, you'll just get a warning ticket 95% of the time.
SWHCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #48
Mason44

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2010CamaroLover View Post
Well said... Definitly have respect for the 50.. Being a paramedic i run with them a lot, but now that i know it's only 30 bucks, i might push the limit a lil more... Sorry i know the fact that the ticket is only 30$ wasn't the point of your response but that's actually not that bad, lol.
The 30 bucks is what they pay in NY. So since you live in Cali you might have to pay more. Its a state law not federal so price might not be the same. Just look in to it and see what it is in Cali.
Mason44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #49
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyCamaro View Post

Old 04-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #50
New2010CamaroLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason44 View Post
The 30 bucks is what they pay in NY. So since you live in Cali you might have to pay more. Its a state law not federal so price might not be the same. Just look in to it and see what it is in Cali.
Good point, thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #51
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Wink

when I bought 'BlueBird' my 95 '40th Anniversary Edition' Thunderbird I got it from an auction in PA in 99 and it did not have front plate in that state and the car had no mounting bracket for plate. I took the car back to Florida (another 1 plate state) and drove it there for a few years. when I moved back to NY in 2000 I put NY tags on it but left the front plate in the glove box. in the 3 years I drove it in NY i only got pulled over once for it and I told the officer it was on 'backorder' at my local Ford dealer. Cop let me off with a warning and never got pulled over again.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #52
Camaro Insider

Drives: chevy..what else?
i work in the Oshawa Camaro plant and to answer your question on plate mounts,every Camaro that I have seen come off the line has a plate mount in your dealer bag along with your floor mats and other small items to be installed by your daeler if your local laws require a front plate.
Camaro Insider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #53
Rockies4

Drives: PT Cruiser 02
I live in CA and will probably go with the motorized hide-away plate. But does anyone think it will work on the Camaro because of the curve in the front? I was thinking about having my dealer install it before I go pick it up, so the dealer will meet his obligation.

OUR72GTO, when you get that test bracket, please email me and let me know if it works. I'm interested in having options. I too don't want to drill holes in the front, but I also don't want a ticket and the hassle that goes with it.

Thanks.
Rockies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #54
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
I haven't decided what I am going to do. Since I am a resident of Vermont in the military, I have the option of registering my car to Vermont or where I live (Texas). Will definitely register my car to Vermont, but since Texas doesn't probably know that Vermont requires a front plate (though some now do based on me stating this), I can probably get away without putting it on the car at all.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #55
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
Hopefully they can get the mod finished before July. This way I can tell my dealer NOT to add a front license plate bracket and destroy the bumper.
I should have the prototype in a week or so to confirm the angles. I will share pictures as soon as possible. I would definitely tell the dealer NOT to drill the holes now. I told mine already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul SS View Post
Where does the front plate bracket mount? Please tell me they DON'T drill holes in any painted surface of the front fascia
The stock one from GM drills right through the front bumper.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #56
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmaro View Post
This is what I am considering for mine.

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...8f55b32ecb518c
Thats awesome!
Until you scrape the chin and rip it off LMAO!!
I might just have to get one!