Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #57
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Cost efficient and this goal do not go hand-in-hand...lol....

Otherwise = See GMPP Z/28 parts...buy GMPP Z/28 parts...install GMPP Z/28 parts on the 1LE....race really fast. ;-)

In all seriousness....I am looking at getting 5 items to "upgrade" my 1LE in the coming year or two....definitely getting the first 2...debating on the rest:

1) Z/28 CAI
2) Z/28 brake cooling ducts
3) Z/28 exhaust manifolds/shorty headers
4) Z/28 front air air dam/spoiler
5) GMPP heads/cam package

There's not much we can do in the realm of suspension to drastically improve this car to Z/28 levels without those Trofeo R tires....and I don't know about you...but I'd like my tires to last longer than my drive to and from work.
Are these the secret items you were talking about?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #58
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
everything I have read says it is 100lbs lighter than stock SS. Also just consider what it is, it is an SS with weight reduction and performance ugrades so it is impossible to weigh the same. Stripped interior, insulation, rear window, ac! Option, wheels, tires, etc.
It's more than an ss with upgrades. Almost everything is different including engine! The weight reduction isn't just taking stuff away either. They are using a lot of titanium to reduce weight.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #59
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Are these the secret items you were talking about?
I mention the word secret a lot...like, this car is my secret love...How'd I go that fast around the corner? It's a secret.......so quite possibly.

In all seriousness: When I saw that Z/28 at NY...and knowing what they were doing with selling the 1LE and ZL1 parts thus far to all Camaro owners...I hoped so badly that they would sell off the intake, front splitter, and headers to everyone else. Those items seemed easy enough to add to any 2014 SS, since the same front fascias were used.

Needless to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised to see the rest of that up on the wall, though, too! Especially the brake ducts. I dearly missed leaving those behind when I traded the ZL1.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #60
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
It's more than an ss with upgrades. Almost everything is different including engine! The weight reduction isn't just taking stuff away either. They are using a lot of titanium to reduce weight.
A lot of thought was put into light-weighting that car...very impressive stuff you don't see many manufacturer's doing.

There is Titanium in the LS7 engine parts, but elsewhere: some aluminum...thinner glass in the back...SUPREMELY lightweight, forged aluminum, 19" wheels...less wires to non-existant lights...opting for lighter halogen bulb housings for lights over heavier HID & LED pieces...
Old 11-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #61
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I mention the word secret a lot...like, this car is my secret love...How'd I go that fast around the corner? It's a secret.......so quite possibly.

In all seriousness: When I saw that Z/28 at NY...and knowing what they were doing with selling the 1LE and ZL1 parts thus far to all Camaro owners...I hoped so badly that they would sell off the intake, front splitter, and headers to everyone else. Those items seemed easy enough to add to any 2014 SS, since the same front fascias were used.

Needless to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised to see the rest of that up on the wall, though, too! Especially the brake ducts. I dearly missed leaving those behind when I traded the ZL1.
I was wondering why the signature change. Why the change from the ZL1?
Old 11-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #62
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
A 1SS/1LE and the Z/28 appear to be the same weight according to the data I have seen.
Quote:
everything I have read says it is 100lbs lighter than stock SS. Also just consider what it is, it is an SS with weight reduction and performance ugrades so it is impossible to weigh the same. Stripped interior, insulation, rear window, ac! Option, wheels, tires, etc.
The Z/28 weighs 3,837 and the 1LE is said to be around 3,860. Not much difference there.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #63
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
The Z/28 weighs 3,837 and the 1LE is said to be around 3,860. Not much difference there.
Bigger engine, bigger brakes - still less weight
Old 11-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #64
snickerdoodle

Drives: 2013 1LE AGM 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
MULTIMATIC strut assemblies and 305/19s all around.
Coilovers are in fact better
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #65
snickerdoodle

Drives: 2013 1LE AGM 2SS RS M6
Honestly it is not hard at all to get to the Z28's performance. The only things I will have a problem with is a brake fade because I will not lay down the coin for those rotors and calipers.
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #66
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:

Edmunds Numbers:

Z/28:3,827
1LE/1SS: 3,860

33lbs at most difference.

One more for fun

ZL1: 4120 - GM claim of 300lb lighter than ZL1 = 3820.

40lbs at most....

It is no way near 100lb difference unless you compare a fully loaded 1LE, 2SS with roof and RS package to the Z/28.

-Matt
Old 11-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #67
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Edmunds Numbers:

Z/28:3,827
1LE/1SS: 3,860

33lbs at most difference.

One more for fun

ZL1: 4120 - GM claim of 300lb lighter than ZL1 = 3820.

40lbs at most....

It is no way near 100lb difference unless you compare a fully loaded 1LE, 2SS with roof and RS package to the Z/28.

-Matt
Fresh from my barber, after borrowing his patented hair-splitter:

1) The claimed weight saving of "about 100 lb." was against a NON-1LE SS, which now publicizes a Curb Weight of 3920. 3920 - 3827 = 93 lb. Close enough?

2) ZL1 - Z/28 = 293 lb.

I hope this hasn't created any bald patches. Some minoxidil should repair any short-term damages incurred.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #68
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Thanks for the obvious. I am talking about the weight only, it starts as an SS and was transformed to be lighter with lighter materials as you stated. Someone said they thought the Z28 was the same weight as the SS and I said it is impossible because of what we know about the weight reductions. As pointed out already GM said 100lbs lighter than the SS, not 1LE and 300lbs lighter than the ZL1.

As far as the best way to match the Z28 there are several ways, it just will depend on the personal path you choose. Obviously brakes, weight, and power would be smart places to start. Waiting for the Z28 performance parts to be released could be the best way to go to keep costs from skyrocketing. For instance aftermarket cantilevers any perform better with all the adjustable but so save money they may not be needed, other will absolutely want to spend money here.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #69
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I was wondering why the signature change. Why the change from the ZL1?
Life decision....turned out to be a change for the better. I absolutely love this car to death. Loved the ZL1, too...still miss it....but there's something spectacular about the 1LE...so nimble...so easy to have fun.

Quote:
Where did that number come from? I wasn't aware they announced a final weight? They've been advertising a "300 lb less than ZL1" figure for a while...which puts the Z/28 right around 3750-3800.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Bigger engine, bigger brakes - still less weight
Engine and brakes all weigh less than SS. In fact, the wheels do, too...and that's astounding!

You've got to keep in mind, too...while you're discussing this: The Z/28 is not simply about power, handling, and weight....it was designed to go around a track as fast as 5th-gen Camaro possibly can (while staying street legal) without fading a bit. That takes coolers, and brake ducts, and expensive brakes. When you consider not just its specifications, but it's ABILITIES....this is a tall order!!
Old 11-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #70
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Steal a 1LE, sell and use for down payment on new Z/28. Easy.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote