Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
CV3435

Drives: Black 2LT/RS manual
Front license plate bracket

License plates are required on the front in Texas, where I am from so I had it put on at my dealer. I have recently moved to florida, where a front license plate is not required so I want to take it off. Does anyone know of a way I can do this without damaging the car? The dealer said they would have to be drilled out and it would leave some pretty big holes. Anyone?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV3435 View Post
License plates are required on the front in Texas, where I am from so I had it put on at my dealer. I have recently moved to florida, where a front license plate is not required so I want to take it off. Does anyone know of a way I can do this without damaging the car? The dealer said they would have to be drilled out and it would leave some pretty big holes. Anyone?
Did your Tx dealer install the front plate that came with the car? If so than you have 2 big holes in your front fascia.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Yes, as stated, you will have 4 holes, I believe, where each of the rivets went through the front bumper. You may as well skip the bracket removal and tear the bumper cover off and replace it with a new bumper cover.

You can have the holes sanded, filled, and painted, but that might be as much as ordering a new, pre-painted cover.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Johnnyma45
Former Camaro Owner

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger R/T
It's not gonna look pretty, but have your local dealer take them off, then get it to a body shop. Will cost a few hundy but worth it. I hate front license plates so much~!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
Smitty77

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey 2LT/RS Camaro
I am from Texas as well and the dealer asked if I wanted the front plate bracket installed, and he thought I had said yes. He got this "Are you serious??" look on his face and I cleared it up. No way in hell was I going to put that bracket on. Have had no trouble with any cops so far. Bracket is in the trunk if I ever need it...
Old 04-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
The dealer I got mine from doesn't install them until the car is sold and the customer wants it.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
Kathie63

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_727 View Post
The dealer I got mine from doesn't install them until the car is sold and the customer wants it.
Same here they are required on the front in Wisconsin, but my dealer asked if I wanted it on, I said no I'll take my chances. Someone then told me that if there is no bracket on front the police don't really bother you. So far so good. (knock on wood), I too have it in the trunk with the plate just in case.

I suggested to our moron governor Scott Walker (since he wants to save so much money) to drop the front plate. He wants to drop the registration sticker to save money because of cost of mailing. Duh it would save more to drop the front plate.
Kathie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Several members have also used the lower valence to bolt up their license plate, without damaging/drilling the bumper.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73549
Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
Kathie63

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
If you are going to use the I-Pass for 94 in Illinois you will need a front plate.
I zip-tied a universal bracket to the lower grill. No 4 holes in the bumper.

Ugly, but better than the factory mount I think.

OTOH, salesman told me as long as you have the second plate in the vehicle you should be okay. The LEO just wants to be sure you don't have plate 2 on another car.

There is also a hide-a-way mount, that what I'll do eventually.
I use the i Pass in Illinois, I used it on I90-39 on 3/19 and 3/26 and it shows tolls in my account.
Kathie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
KJinni

If you get a new pre-painted bumper cover you could always opt for the SS version of the lower grille, if that interests you at all... Since as mentioned before it would probably cost the same to just get a new cover versus fixing your current one.
KJinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
Crango

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Red Jewel Tint
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV3435 View Post
You can purchase color coded bumper buttons and install them in the holes.There's a company that makes all types, I've seen the info previously posted.
Crango
Crango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #12
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
I took my front bracket off. It was rivetted on, so I used a 1/4 inch drill bit and drilled them out. Then went to an auto parts store (O'Reilly's) and bought retainer plugs, painted them and snapped them in. Since your car is black, the plugs will be less noticeable, but look better than having exposed holes in your bumper. It's a quick fix, and if you still don't like it you can replace the bumper completely later on.

Edit: If you have the bracket on, then the bumper is already damaged with holes from the rivets.

Last edited by LoneStar; 05-02-2011 at 06:07 PM.
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #13
TRABlackCamaroSS

Drives: '10 Blk Camaro SS/'08 Blk Silverado
dealer had installed front LP holder on my camaro/don't need it in OK but I bought some plastic buttons at AdvanceAutoParts for $5 and they fit right into the 4 holes in my facia/mine is black but u could paint them for ur color.Sorry just noticed u had a black camaro.
TRABlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #14
NorCalBoy

Drives: One, Two, or Three?
I wounder if one of the 2 Dealers im looking @ here is NorCal, will sell it with it off, cause my current car didn't have it on for over a year, and now has a novelty plate on the front, and never been bugged by a cop (Yet).