Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!
 
TSSUNAMI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,721
New Era OTR Installed (pics)

Purchased my New Era OTR CAI from a forum member, it arrived today.

While this intake is used, it still was in very good condition. It is the silver powdercoated model, and the quality looked to be top notch. I actually think the "rough" welds look fantastic, to me it gives it a one off custom appearance. To each their own. Regardless, the silver powdercoat matches the stock engine cover and my CGM engine bay almost perfectly. Visually I am very very impressed with this mod.

On to the fun stuff. I don't have access to a Dyno, but the butt dyno approves. I had a 50 mile drive home from IronWill's house. (Thank you by the way for installing it for me!) I immediately noticed that it deepened the exhaust note. I have a muffler delete, and over 4000 rpm it started to almost sound whiney before the intake, not so now. It sounds meaner than ever.

Throttle response is much improved, prior to the intake there was some hesitation when laying down the right foot. The hesitation is greatly reduced now. I'm very pleased.

There have been issues reported with "herky jerkies" with this intake on LS3's running the factory tune. I am very happy to report that I experienced none of these issues on my 50 mile trip. I had the cruise set at 73MPH most of the way home and it was nice and smooth. I also had a brief stint going through town at 30 mph in 3rd gear, again, no surging, no jerking.

I lucked out and found a stoplight on a 65mph road. Gunned it from the green light, slight chirp from the rear tires, pulled very hard into second, chirped the tires again, and I was breaking the speed limit before I knew it.

While I would like to put my car on a dyno to get some numbers, I am waiting until next summer to get a tune. Maybe a cat delete and or headers. We will see how the bank account feels by then


In closing, I would definitely recommend this intake. (Mine is the newer model with the revised MAF location/flange, I also checked my MAF sensor and I have the "strong" one.) I will update in a few weeks after I have had more time to drive the car.
Attached Images
  
__________________
TSSUNAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
FTI-EDC
The stick man
 
FTI-EDC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 GTO - C5 'vert - SRX
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In the new shop... working 24/7
Posts: 151
Thumbs up

Enjoy the new found power.

Nothing better than grabbing that nice cool air from the front of the car!


__________________

PONY WARS


FTI-EDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!
 
TSSUNAMI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,721
I definitely am!

Went for a short drive this afternoon. Tires break loose a lot easier now. I'm loving it. The sound is great too. Still no driveability issues.

Nice work New Era!
__________________
TSSUNAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!
 
BackinBlackSS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 23,364
Congrats on your OTR intake. To me this is the only way to go. Vararam or New Era.
Enjoy!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!
 
TSSUNAMI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Congrats on your OTR intake. To me this is the only way to go. Vararam or New Era.
Enjoy!

Thank you!

I agree, while the other CAI's are effective, the idea of taking cold air from the front of the car just made sense to me. I love the sound it makes, and it looks great. I know you're a huge Vararam fan, and they make a great product too. I think now that both companies have made revisions to make these functional on the stock tune, it all comes down to personal preference.

Either way you go, you end up with a great looking/performing intake for your car.

Now I need to figure out what to do with the big gap where my old intake was.
__________________
TSSUNAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!
 
BackinBlackSS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 23,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSUNAMI View Post
Now I need to figure out what to do with the big gap where my old intake was.
Oh, I did nothing. I love the way it cleaned up the engine bay. It just looks so darn good.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,046
Those are NICE!!!
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
SSiick
 
SSiick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 84
After reading all the positive comments on both the Vararam and OTR I am thinking of switching. I have the Hennessy intake and last week on the dyno the tuner said intake temps were reaching 170* and it was pulling timing.
SSiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!
 
TSSUNAMI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,721
I may just leave it as it is also. I plan on adding headers in the future and it gives a nice view of the side of the engine.

I agree, it REALLY cleans up the engine bay, and as the pictures show, the gunmetal powdercoat is a very nice match to the factory engine cover and CGM paint.

I love the growl you get in 3rd from 55 to 85.... nice "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbb" hahaha
__________________
TSSUNAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
mike@newera

 
mike@newera's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss L99 A6
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 515
Glad to see a happy customer with our intake!
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!
 
TSSUNAMI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@newera View Post
Glad to see a happy customer with our intake!

Thanks Mike!

I might have to swing by the roc and check out your shop next spring!!! Loving the intake!
__________________
TSSUNAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
mike@newera

 
mike@newera's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss L99 A6
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 515
Stop by this week if you want, we are bulding a 2011 convertible SS starting on Monday. We're doing one of our custom VVT cam combinations with Darin Morgan's CNC'd heads, etc.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
ronniels3
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Florida
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSUNAMI View Post
Purchased my New Era OTR CAI from a forum member, it arrived today.

While this intake is used, it still was in very good condition. It is the silver powdercoated model, and the quality looked to be top notch. I actually think the "rough" welds look fantastic, to me it gives it a one off custom appearance. To each their own. Regardless, the silver powdercoat matches the stock engine cover and my CGM engine bay almost perfectly. Visually I am very very impressed with this mod.

On to the fun stuff. I don't have access to a Dyno, but the butt dyno approves. I had a 50 mile drive home from IronWill's house. (Thank you by the way for installing it for me!) I immediately noticed that it deepened the exhaust note. I have a muffler delete, and over 4000 rpm it started to almost sound whiney before the intake, not so now. It sounds meaner than ever.

Throttle response is much improved, prior to the intake there was some hesitation when laying down the right foot. The hesitation is greatly reduced now. I'm very pleased.

There have been issues reported with "herky jerkies" with this intake on LS3's running the factory tune. I am very happy to report that I experienced none of these issues on my 50 mile trip. I had the cruise set at 73MPH most of the way home and it was nice and smooth. I also had a brief stint going through town at 30 mph in 3rd gear, again, no surging, no jerking.

I lucked out and found a stoplight on a 65mph road. Gunned it from the green light, slight chirp from the rear tires, pulled very hard into second, chirped the tires again, and I was breaking the speed limit before I knew it.

While I would like to put my car on a dyno to get some numbers, I am waiting until next summer to get a tune. Maybe a cat delete and or headers. We will see how the bank account feels by then


In closing, I would definitely recommend this intake. (Mine is the newer model with the revised MAF location/flange, I also checked my MAF sensor and I have the "strong" one.) I will update in a few weeks after I have had more time to drive the car.

Look of way better quality than the Vararam.
ronniels3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #14
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!
 
TSSUNAMI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@newera View Post
Stop by this week if you want, we are bulding a 2011 convertible SS starting on Monday. We're doing one of our custom VVT cam combinations with Darin Morgan's CNC'd heads, etc.

Man I wish I could Mike! Unfortunately, I am very tied up with work until the end of august. Hopefully I can make it down soon. If not definitely next spring!

Some more feedback on the intake now that I've had the chance to drive it for a week in varying conditions.

A few things I've noticed.

Again, the exhaust note is much deeper on my muffler delete. Still loving it. Gas Mileage I can't really compare much due to the fact that I cannot keep my right foot off of the floorboard. The intake itself is relatively quiet. If you rev the engine with the hood open, you will heart he "whoosh" of it "breathing." Otherwise there is little sound difference from the intake itself other than the improved exhaust tone.

The rear end breaks loose at around 4500 RPM now on dry roads with warm tires. This never happened before. The midrange punch is impressive, I'm thrilled and cannot wait to add a tune to really unlock the power. (Still undecided on HF cats + a catback OR headers with cats, and a catback...we will see)

The temps dropped below 70 on a few mornings on my drive home. Until the engine was warm (about 5 min of driving or less) I did notice some very SLIGHT surging. Not necesarily the dreaded "herky jerky" Just a subtle surge that went away after a few minutes of driving. Put it simply, if you weren't looking for it, you would not notice it. IMHO Driveability on the stock tune is great.

I've already gotten several compliments on the way the intake looks compared to the stock (and several aftermarket) intakes. I love the look of this peice and I am completely stoked that I pulled the trigger on it.
__________________
TSSUNAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

 
Ivan @ Southwest Speed's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Posts: 11,851
Totally nicer in build quality and performance than the other otr style that is out there.

A little pricey, but worth it!

Very nice and would love to see more of these out there!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #16
SmittyTuck
 
Drives: a couple
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 47
May be a stupid question so I appologise.....

Any chance it would pull water being where it is open to weather and road elements?
SmittyTuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!
 
TSSUNAMI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyTuck View Post
May be a stupid question so I appologise.....

Any chance it would pull water being where it is open to weather and road elements?

I do not have a pic to upload, but there is a shield that goes onto your radiator mounting bracket that protects the intake from elements. I've already driven mine in heavy rain with no difficulties.
__________________
TSSUNAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #18
SmittyTuck
 
Drives: a couple
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 47
Kick ass! I really dig that intake! Any benefit or draw back from other open filters?
SmittyTuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #19
fldrummer
"Black Ace"
 
fldrummer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS black/black
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyTuck View Post
May be a stupid question so I appologise.....

Any chance it would pull water being where it is open to weather and road elements?
I've had mine for over 2 years & 30K+ miles, driving around soggy South-Florida w/ no issues from weather or other road hazards. It's pretty well-shielded from the elements. I still have occasional minor-surging from mine, even after switching to a strong MAF, but many tuning tweaks from Vector Motorsports have tamed it to where it's not that annoying. I just hope it doesn't get worse after my cam & new dyno tune, as I'll have a new tuner for that. I'm curious to know what their new MAF placement is, as I haven't been able to tell a difference in recent pics I've seen (?).
__________________
2010 2SS/RS M6 "Black Ace" - Delivered 6/4/2009
Mods: Forged LS3 (9.8:1 CR), Maggie TVS 2300 SC with OD rear pulley, Custom Comp cam (223/244, .610/.596, 114 LSA), Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, Dynotech 1-piece driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. 572 rwhp/548 rwtq (Mustang Dyno, 7.5psi, maxed-out injectors). Built & tuned by Lashway Motorsports.
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #20
newmoon

 
newmoon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 5.0 Mustang, Brembo Track Pack
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by fldrummer View Post
I've had mine for over 2 years & 30K+ miles, driving around soggy South-Florida w/ no issues from weather or other road hazards. It's pretty well-shielded from the elements. I still have occasional minor-surging from mine, even after switching to a strong MAF, but many tuning tweaks from Vector Motorsports have tamed it to where it's not that annoying. I just hope it doesn't get worse after my cam & new dyno tune, as I'll have a new tuner for that. I'm curious to know what their new MAF placement is, as I haven't been able to tell a difference in recent pics I've seen (?).

Just cammed and dyno tuned mine, if anything the car drives better at all rpms. Pick your cam carefully to avoid the surging and bucking issues.
__________________
Presently Car-Less
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2012 Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #21
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!
 
TSSUNAMI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by fldrummer View Post
I've had mine for over 2 years & 30K+ miles, driving around soggy South-Florida w/ no issues from weather or other road hazards. It's pretty well-shielded from the elements. I still have occasional minor-surging from mine, even after switching to a strong MAF, but many tuning tweaks from Vector Motorsports have tamed it to where it's not that annoying. I just hope it doesn't get worse after my cam & new dyno tune, as I'll have a new tuner for that. I'm curious to know what their new MAF placement is, as I haven't been able to tell a difference in recent pics I've seen (?).

The person who installed my intake had the "old" version, we compared them side by side (should have taken pics) but the new location is very slightly different. Not a huge change. Perhaps Mike@NewEra could post up some pics.

Regardless, it is a great item. I'm 100% pleased with it.
__________________
TSSUNAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #22
fldrummer
"Black Ace"
 
fldrummer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS black/black
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,741
Well, I got my car back this week w/ the new cam & dyno tune. My tuner spent a good full day fine-tuning it and this intake made it quite a frustrating challenge. Sure enough, the car is back to doing the same herky-jerky stuff it did when I first installed the intake at cruising RPMs (2-2.3K RMPs). Ironically, I'm not getting low-rpm herky-jerkiness (i.e. Poor drivability) down low from the cam itself... We think what VMS did to tame all this was make my tune extra rich (you could def. Tell from the difference in the exhaust smell between now & then--much more bearable now). However, although my fuel trims are about as perfect as you can safely get now, my gas gas mileage, at least initially, has dropped considerably and I'd hate to make it worse by dumping even more fuel. I'm considering biting the bullet & switching to a more traditional intake now. I hate to do it, 'cuz I've always loved the design of this intake & it works well--when in the throttle, but not when cruising. :(
__________________
2010 2SS/RS M6 "Black Ace" - Delivered 6/4/2009
Mods: Forged LS3 (9.8:1 CR), Maggie TVS 2300 SC with OD rear pulley, Custom Comp cam (223/244, .610/.596, 114 LSA), Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, Dynotech 1-piece driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. 572 rwhp/548 rwtq (Mustang Dyno, 7.5psi, maxed-out injectors). Built & tuned by Lashway Motorsports.
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #23
Squintz Palladoris
 
Squintz Palladoris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 566
I have an Air Raid intake on my car and will gladly trade with you
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
fldrummer
"Black Ace"
 
fldrummer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS black/black
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris View Post
I have an Air Raid intake on my car and will gladly trade with you
If you had a CAI-brand one to trade, I'd say "deal" in a heartbeat. I'll keep the offer in mind though. Do you not like your Air-Raid for any particular reason, other than being funky-looking?
__________________
2010 2SS/RS M6 "Black Ace" - Delivered 6/4/2009
Mods: Forged LS3 (9.8:1 CR), Maggie TVS 2300 SC with OD rear pulley, Custom Comp cam (223/244, .610/.596, 114 LSA), Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, Dynotech 1-piece driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. 572 rwhp/548 rwtq (Mustang Dyno, 7.5psi, maxed-out injectors). Built & tuned by Lashway Motorsports.
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #25
Squintz Palladoris
 
Squintz Palladoris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by fldrummer View Post
If you had a CAI-brand one to trade, I'd say "deal" in a heartbeat. I'll keep the offer in mind though. Do you not like your Air-Raid for any particular reason, other than being funky-looking?
LOL it is funky looking. I would have bought the New Era intake if I had known about it when I ordered the Air Raid. The Air Raid is nice and fits VERY well. I was pretty impressed with the fitment. It makes good power too. I still want the OTR intake, just don't want to spend the money a second time to replace a part that works well.
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
cai, cold air intake, new era, otr

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Revision to New Era OTR intake make more horsepower!! mike@newera Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 29 09-13-2012 11:42 PM
New Era OTR intake PC GLOSS BLACK LS2SLOW V8 - Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons, Tuning Equipment 23 07-02-2011 12:06 PM
Detailed the SS and installed carbon fiber mirrors.. (Pics Inside) Maro99 Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 26 10-23-2010 10:37 AM
New Era Intake Pipe Installed (pics) Duke Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 13 07-20-2010 12:58 AM
New Era OTR CAI Review 9c1ny Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 27 08-24-2009 12:16 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.