Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
VAbdul

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
5th Gen's Design, Climax?

I was hand waxing the car the other day, it took me forever, but then I realized it's almost impossible for me to imagine the car to look any better. The design and all its little curves is soo perfect I don't think it's possible for the 6th Gen to look better. Mine's black also which gives the illusion of being "smooth" at harsh design curves.

Then I thought that its probably really likely they'll release something that won't catch with the Camaro community, and I don't blame them because, to me, it IS impossible to design any better car. GM has really outdone themselves this time, The only cars that can match or compete with the 5th Gen's design is the Audi S5 and the Aston Martin DBS. The others are in the 200k+ Range or are "not bad" just not the same. Am I wrong though? Maybe I'm blinded by my bias.

Would it be possible for 6th gen to look better, assuming it's not based on a 5th gen with a different front and rear bumper?

Here's a photo of mine:
Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
This very question will test GM designers like never before, I think.

I have faith they'll do it justice...Tom Peters/Ed Welburn knows that it takes to be a Camaro.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
I agree, I also think its hard for them to top the vette, but the stingray is a totally different direction, maybe thats the only way to do it.

I still feel like my 4th gen doesnt look too dated, and its 14 years old, look at other 14 year old cars on the road, my car still looks great for an aging body style. I feel the 5th gen will do the same.

+1 on the Aston Martin, those cars are gorgeous.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
matthook

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
I do believe it would be hard to make it much better... Maybe they will make it more "wavy" but that could go either way

Team LFX Thread Link: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187109
Team LFX Group: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=306
matthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
CSM088

Drives: 1981 Z28 // 2010 1SS LS3
I agree, this car's style will have the same lasting appeal as did the 1st and 3rd gen's (for me anyway). I love the 2nd gen Camaro's too but I don't think they are perfect. Throughout that decade they had a lot of stuff right and then changed things around.

As far as the 4th gen's go... ugh. Sorry, I mean no offense, but those never won me over and I don't think they are really a head turner.
CSM088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
I dont think they can create something completely new and make a better design. Instead they should compact our current design and make it look more futuristic, less design cues from the older models but still retain a similar look to the current car.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
obrut

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS/RS
or just do what porsche does with the 911
Old 02-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The mindset seems to be in the industry (both on the manufacturers & buyers side) of A-B cars....if it doesn't look radically different within 5 years, it's not worth buying...

With a car like the Camaro - I don't think that's the case. As long as they don't feel the need to make it look overwhelmingly different...it should look fine, IMO.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
I dont think they can create something completely new and make a better design. Instead they should compact our current design and make it look more futuristic, less design cues from the older models but still retain a similar look to the current car.
I can go with this. If the 6th gen looked similar, and retained that same road presence as the 5th gen (but still easy to tell it is new) I could accept that. Especially if they throw it on the lighter alpha platform...my heart would be stolen all over again.

But I also wouldn't hate it at all if GM went a new direction with the design....as long as they keep the same basic Camaro principles and still managed to make it look awesome and "concept-ish".

I can't wait to see what they come up with. They should know by now that looks MATTER BIG TIME....and even if they put it on alpha and the performance totally eclipses the 5th gen it just simply won't do as well without a strikeing design.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Darth Detroit

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/2SS-Fully Loaded
I can see Gm going more of a wedge shaped, but not rounded out like a 4th gen. I wouldnt be surprised if they did a spin off of a 2nd gen design with rounded out headlights and a troughed hood. Possibly a bigger spoiler? Chrome bumper?
Darth Detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrut View Post
or just do what porsche does with the 911
So you mean do nothing that the general population will see as different between designs?

Roto-Fab Intake
Tuned by dynosteve @ RDP
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
All I can say is that there are a lot of cars out there now that look very nice. If designers keep on doing what they are, they can make a redesigned Camaro that appeals to the masses again. Take the CTS coupe for example, that car is also a major head turner. The cars are on the same platform and it really looks nothing like the current Camaro. They both look very good and are head turners. They can do it again. Sure if they were to make the camaro look like the CTS coupe, you'd piss off the people that wanted a retro car, but you can't argue that the design doesn't look better than the majority of coupes on the road. They can make a drastic change to the Camaro's body and still make it look awesome, I know it.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Evolve the design like the Corvette has done since 84
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
Evolve the design like the Corvette has done since 84

Keep the windowshape/greenhouse, V-shaped inset grille, and then go buck wild with everything else. The Camaro completely departed from its first generation styling once 1970 hit and since then, the second-generation styling formed the basis for the 3rd/4th gens. Ironically, the first gen is the one everyone fawns over.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote