Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

USA - California The Golden State

Old 06-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
gettinginaMaro!

Drives: At the moment I gun a 50 cal
Question CA Engine Swap

Does anyone know anything about how you can get CARB EO for a 2010 Camaro with a crate motor?
gettinginaMaro! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I believe you have to ask GM about the CARB certification on their crate motors. You may even be able to call a dealer and ask them.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
gettinginaMaro!

I wasn't originally intending to go with a GMPP crate but I may have to for the fact that we are in CA the company I was origanly was all about it until I mentioned 91 octane & CA then they were like we can't touch that powertrain. I'm still hopeing to get my original intended engine just have to find a way around it because as of yet I haven't heard of anyone mentioning my specific set up & I am hoping to keep it that way for a unique Camaro, you are in the know Mindz so do you think if I ordered from some out of state dealer had the engine swap done then brought it into Cali is that a feasible idea?
Old 06-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #4
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Are you asking if it's legal? Are you asking if you can get insurance? Are you asking if shops will install it?

What exactly is the question you're asking?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:30 AM   #5
gettinginaMaro!

Well I'm kinda asking all the above lol but here is the deal as my location shows I'm over here in the land of sand so I have some limited resourses but the story so far is this...

I got in touch with engine maker A for a custom build on the Camaro using one of there engines.

All was well & we were discussing prices & the legalitty of certain engines when I mentioned CA...

I ran into a brick wall they won't even ship any engine to CA, I did some research & talked with one of my boys from San Jose that has a 4th gen & came up with I can legally swap the engine as long as it complied with 3 rules & got the visual ok from a BAR referee...

So I showed the guy the link & he still insist that is a no go without the CARB EO so...

I'm now attempting to figure out if I can get it ordered out of state have shop A get engine swapped into then leagally reg in CA going through the ref. I have every intention of being CA legal & I know there is a way just like with the gun laws it is just difficult to be gun/muscle car enthusist in CA but not impossible you just have to know what hoops to jump through to be legal I'm asking for the hoops to be identified while I'm still here so I can get home & get into this project...

hope that clears thing up a bit

Last edited by gettinginaMaro!; 06-10-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinginaMaro! View Post
Well I'm kinda asking all the above lol but here is the deal as my location shows I'm over here in the land of sand so I have some limited resourses but the story so far is this...

I got in touch with engine maker A for a custom build on the Camaro using one of there engines.

All was well & we were discussing prices & the legalitty of certain engines when I mentioned CA...

I ran into a brick wall they won't even ship any engine to CA, I did some research & talked with one of my boys from San Jose that has a 4th gen & came up with I can legally swap the engine as long as it complied with 3 rules & got the visual ok from a BAR referee...

So I showed the guy the link & he still insist that is a no go without the CARB EO so...

I'm now attempting to figure out if I can get it ordered out of state have shop A get engine swapped into then leagally reg in CA going through the ref. I have every intention of being CA legal & I know there is a way just like with the gun laws it is just difficult to be gun/muscle car enthusist in CA but not impossible you just have to know what hoops to jump through to be legal I'm asking for the hoops to be identified while I'm still here so I can get home & get into this project...

hope that clears thing up a bit
You better get all your ducks in a row and get the REAL information from BAR before you spend a penny on this project. Plain and simple, if the crate engine has parts in it (parts that would be in plain view....who cares if the cam in not CARB approved, ref can't see it!) that are not CARB approved, you will fail the visual and that fails the test. Also depends on the BAR ref that you choose to see....one ref may not know the difference while another might know exactly what the intake on stock 2010 camaro looks like and if yours is different, he will fail you. I am just talking about visual here. Then there is the actual sniff test!

No offense but I think what you are trying to do is a big waste of money. If you want a stomp pulling crate motor in a car in CA, start with a pre-1974 car. They are smog exempt and you can install whatever engine you want in them. I am not saying it can't be done with later cars but it is a huge headache to jump through BAR hoops and you might end up with a car you can't drive on public roads. Keep your 2010 LS3 Camaro stock with soon-to-be available power adders and get yourself a pre-1974 car to stuff that crate engine in. Someone is ALWAYS going to be faster than you so don't get hung up on that crap.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote