Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,913
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
irpq11, L99 Dyno results.

Ok fellas. Here are the results from my Dyno this morning.

The tuner was particularly puzzled by the fuel mixture running so rich to abnormal levels. He seemed pretty concerned. Said it may be causing HP loss.

EDIT: Turns out he was exactly right. The fuse pull solved the problem.

Name:  Dyno R1.jpg
Views: 25684
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  Dyno R2.jpg
Views: 25079
Size:  137.2 KB

Name:  Dyno R3.jpg
Views: 24273
Size:  102.8 KB
__________________

Last edited by PQ; 05-16-2012 at 10:26 AM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
jdanza
 
jdanza's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS VR-BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southeast Fl
Posts: 392
Are the HP and torque #'s where they are supposed to be ?
__________________
2010 2SS/RS VICTORY RED / BLACK LEATHER - 6 SPEED M TRANS
6000 = Delivered To Customer-8/22/2009
jdanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
9c1ny
 
9c1ny's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 675
seems to be pretty normal for the HP #'s
__________________
9c1ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
MTron
 
Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 334
they do seem a touch low. Could indicated a program issue.

I think the more significant thing here, is that if there is a programming issue, it could also affect the way the transmission shifts, as well as the torque management, thus further compounding the issue
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,777
What else did he say??? was he happy with the HP numbers? Or did he think it was under powered?

I'm sure I should know this... but what should it be at the rear wheels?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,913
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanza View Post
Are the HP and torque #'s where they are supposed to be ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
What else did he say??? was he happy with the HP numbers? Or did he think it was under powered?

I'm sure I should know this... but what should it be at the rear wheels?
He said that in his opinion, this car should be losing no more than 15% from crank to wheels. He thinks the rich fuel mixture is causing a loss. In his opinion it should be getting 330 HP to the wheels. He says this car should be tighter than that.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
JDBeck23

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: King George, Va
Posts: 877
What caused the 20 hp jump from first to third dyno pulls?

Seems low to me, I would take the first dyno run into the dealer and put up the big WTF?!
__________________

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore
 
Xanthos's Avatar
 
Drives: Stick
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12,658
They should be able 320 at the rear wheels, but that A/F ratio looks a bit weird to me as well... That could quite possibly be messing with your numbers. Of course, it could be something else as well.
- X
__________________
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
MTron
 
Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 334
actually, on further inspection, those seem very wonky...

i mean run 1, the torque and hp curves are nearly idenicel.....very strange....as well the A/F graph is messed...took a major plunge at 4.5 k rpm to 10:1....NOT normal and 200lb feet of torque at 4000 rpm...i mean....wow...not normal

run 2 you A:F is low, and your torque is taking a dive, but more normal then the first


run 3, same issues as 1, A/F dive at 4k rpm torque too low for the rpm at 4000
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
matt55

 
matt55's Avatar
 
Drives: w/t
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 952
Wow rich in the mid , I wonder if the WBO2 is off ?
__________________
matt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
ElAntonius
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 140
They seem in line with the lower side of what most people are pulling in on the L99 (which seems to range about 310-330 depending on the dyno and other factors)

I wouldn't say that kind of dyno pull would be indicative of a car that is losing 1.5-2 seconds to 60.

Edit: I mean the actual HP numbers. Analysis of the A/F mixture and curves is beyond my ability.
__________________
A House Divided...
ElAntonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
1320junkie
Account Suspended
 
Drives: The Imperial Army
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Darkside
Posts: 15,898
Yeah man its a tad bit off..2nd and 3rd would be acceptable but your a/f is kinda wacked...wth happened with the 1st run?
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
D1BADZ
hmmmmm
 
D1BADZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Jose, Ca
Posts: 1,326
hmmm, interesting, thanks for posting this up
__________________
"Responsibility is a Heavy Responsibilty" (Cheech)

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
ElAntonius
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 140
Looking at the low starting torque on run 1, I wonder...

irpq, you've said that you randomly had the car 'wake up' the other day, though it seems intermittent?

I've been thinking about my theory that the car doesn't respond as well to mashing the throttle from the get-go...all my best launches have been in situations where I smoothly feed the throttle in and I've had some disappointing launches where I rammed it...is it possible that some aspect of the L99 software is limiting maximum torque from a dead stop? Perhaps some sort of break-in software?
__________________
A House Divided...
ElAntonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #15
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore
 
Xanthos's Avatar
 
Drives: Stick
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAntonius View Post
They seem in line with the lower side of what most people are pulling in on the L99 (which seems to range about 310-330 depending on the dyno and other factors)

I wouldn't say that kind of dyno pull would be indicative of a car that is losing 1.5-2 seconds to 60.

Edit: I mean the actual HP numbers. Analysis of the A/F mixture and curves is beyond my ability.
Even if his peak numbers are looking okay, he's lost a LOT of power under the curve for the first half of the rev band. That makes a big difference in acceleration, particularly in first gear.
- X
__________________
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #16
Crowley
Okie doke
 
Crowley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GT500
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 3,770
It does look a bit weird. Was there any tuning done from the 1st pull to the 3rd pull? If not, the first one may just be an anomally. Taking a look at my stock dyno (Manual though), my A/F doesn't go below 11.4 and not above 11.9 stock. I wonder if the A/F ratio is the norm for the automatic cars.

I do think that the 15% loss your dyno guy said is a bit optomistic though as it seems the norm for the manual cars is 15 - 16 % .. IF an auto is 17% that would put you around 330 hp at the wheels if it is a little more than 17% then it would be a bit lower. Yours appears to be around 21 - 22 % though ..

Keep us posted.

Crowley
__________________
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #17
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist
 
themossman's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: JAX
Posts: 1,386
Different dynos and other considerations...but I was really surprised by the #'s...

here's my 'stock' dyno...keep in mind mine is the LS3, but I still wouldn't expect at 70+hp variance....

__________________
Car is for sale --->http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158486
Current Summary:
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #18
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,913
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
What caused the 20 hp jump from first to third dyno pulls?

Seems low to me, I would take the first dyno run into the dealer and put up the big WTF?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
Yeah man its a tad bit off..2nd and 3rd would be acceptable but your a/f is kinda wacked...wth happened with the 1st run?
1st run he said was him. He said a Standard is easier to do because of 4th gear in the auto is best gear or something like that. But in the standard it's more consistant........... hell I can't remember.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #19
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
Different dynos and other considerations...but I was really surprised by the #'s...

here's my 'stock' dyno...keep in mind mine is the LS3, but I still wouldn't expect at 70+hp variance....
Wow thats a tremendous difference. Even if you subtract 26 HP to make up for the rating of 436 vs 400 youd get 356 HP, then a few % points for the AT, maybe 340.... Id assume the 26hp difference covers the fact the cam is less agressive....

I agree with MTron that if the power is dragging it could possibly affect how the transmission is operating as well and compound the issue.
__________________
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #20
gpr
 
Drives: never fast enough
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CO
Posts: 59
You need to have someone who has dyno'd a stock automatic camaro look at that and compare to what they have seen. I have done lots of dyno pulls but not a camaro so not sure how they react. The a/f does seem very rich but i have heard from the factory they are down in the high 11 range. Also how did they dyno the car? lock it in one gear hopefully, and the same gear for each pull.

I wouldn't worry about the numbers being low or high, but the big difference in numbers from the first to the second is bothersome. They should be fairly consistent, but if i had to guess something is going on making it run pig rich. This also can have adverse affects as one run it will run properly then the next poorly as you got beat by a v6. Also a dyno only shows what the engine is doing. The tranny could be reading something funny as well causing it to be slow. A scan tool while making these runs is necessary to see what is all going on at WOT. A very experienced tuner could help you track these issues down. I would suggest someone that does a lot of corvette tuning could log dyno run's, or runs on the street for you and give you a much better idea of what is going on.
gpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #21
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,777
Watching very closely....



I wonder if the dealer could interpret the A/F numbers for us?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #22
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,233
97 degrees outside and 37% humidity? Have you considered fish gills? Your dyno numbers are fine.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #23
Crowley
Okie doke
 
Crowley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GT500
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 3,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
97 degrees outside and 37% humidity? Have you considered fish gills? Your dyno numbers are fine.
Just noticed that it showed the STD numbers.

irpq11 do you have access to the SAE numbers? It is a little easier to compare across different dynos (although still shouldn't be comparied). SAE numbers should correct to a higher number.

THanks,
Crowley
__________________
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #24
KK2010SS
Budafinger
 
KK2010SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Buda, TX
Posts: 191
I am going out on a limb here but I think there might be a problem with the stock air filter. Itís a little late now, but it would have been interesting to see if removing the air filter made any difference on the dyno. Maybe itís running rich because it canít pull enough air. SilverTurtle and I tested the stock 2010 Camaro Fram filter with an air compressor and it flowed less air than his DIRTY Fram filter from a 2002 LS1. This would affect the A6 cars more because of less direct control over RPMísÖ Just a thought.
__________________
2010 2SS/RS, LS3, IBM, Silver Rally Stripes, Black Interior, 20" Polished, Doug Thorley Shorties, Flowmaster Catback, Hurst Shifter, K&N Filter, Vararam on order.

KK2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #25
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,913
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
What caused the 20 hp jump from first to third dyno pulls?

Seems low to me, I would take the first dyno run into the dealer and put up the big WTF?!


Quote:
Originally Posted by gpr View Post
You need to have someone who has dyno'd a stock automatic camaro look at that and compare to what they have seen. I have done lots of dyno pulls but not a camaro so not sure how they react. The a/f does seem very rich but i have heard from the factory they are down in the high 11 range. Also how did they dyno the car? lock it in one gear hopefully, and the same gear for each pull.

I wouldn't worry about the numbers being low or high, but the big difference in numbers from the first to the second is bothersome. They should be fairly consistent, but if i had to guess something is going on making it run pig rich. This also can have adverse affects as one run it will run properly then the next poorly as you got beat by a v6. Also a dyno only shows what the engine is doing. The tranny could be reading something funny as well causing it to be slow. A scan tool while making these runs is necessary to see what is all going on at WOT. A very experienced tuner could help you track these issues down. I would suggest someone that does a lot of corvette tuning could log dyno run's, or runs on the street for you and give you a much better idea of what is going on.
This is a brand new car under warranty. I sure hate having to deal with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Watching very closely....



I wonder if the dealer could interpret the A/F numbers for us?
I've pretty much blew my wad as far as time to run around. I'm in doo doo now for being gone yesterday for a while and all this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
97 degrees outside and 37% humidity? Have you considered fish gills? Your dyno numbers are fine.
What about the fuel mixture. It dipped BELOW 10 at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Just noticed that it showed the STD numbers.

irpq11 do you have access to the SAE numbers? It is a little easier to compare across different dynos (although still shouldn't be comparied). SAE numbers should correct to a higher number.

THanks,
Crowley
My car has an STD?

Don't know what SAE numbers are.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Texas Speed Long Tubes & Rumbler 5 Cat-Back Dyno Results! Trevor @ Texas Speed Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 47 09-06-2009 03:36 PM
Check your Order here bvonscott Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 665 06-29-2009 01:00 PM
L99 STOCK dyno video and results pharmd Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 7 06-25-2009 10:05 AM
Dyno Results on L99? pharmd Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 23 05-12-2009 10:53 PM
BUDWEISER SHOOTOUT LINE UP CamaroScotty General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 22 02-07-2009 07:03 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.