Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 04-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
REZRKTD SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
What to do at 1,500?

During a routine dealership visit the other day I asked if my next oil change at 1,500 would be covered by the dealer and they told me no. Because I had it changed at 500 miles to remove any particles and the factory filled oil, I would not be covered for another until the scheduled one at 5,500.

I am going to change my rear diff at 1,500, but the Service Advisor said I really don't need to change the oil again (since I did it at 500). Any thoughts on going with the same oil I got at 500 until my next scheduled one at 5,500?
REZRKTD SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Personally I wouldn't worry about it, but the OCD types here may..
Do whatever you feel like doing. It won't make much difference in the long run.
I'll be doing my first change at 2K...and then every 5K after, but I won't let the dealer do it...
Free or not..

Last edited by Modshack; 04-25-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
cwl011

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I was told that I have 4 oil changes in the two years and i can use them however i would like. It sucks that they are denying you.
cwl011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwl011 View Post
I was told that I have 4 oil changes in the two years and i can use them however i would like. It sucks that they are denying you.

I didn't realize they're still including the maintenance plan, that's cool!

On my '14, I used one at about 500, like you did...again at 1500, one before my first track day, and the final one before that following winter. Even they told me I could use them whenever I wanted...they treated them like coupons or credits on my "account"...

Go visit another dealer...
Old 04-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
REZRKTD SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
Personally I wouldn't worry about it, but the OCD types here may..
Do whatever you feel like doing. It won't make much difference in the long run.
I'll be doing my first change at 2K...and then every 5K after, but I won't let the dealer do it...
Free or not..
You didn't do yours at 500? I would highly recommend doing it at 500 too if I were you. Something about the fillers the factory uses, and also of course any engine particles that could have come loose in the first 500 too.

Also, I was thinking of doing it myself, but with the rear diff already coming out to just under $100, I'm not really trying to spend another $110 on oil if it's not going to make a huge difference, like you said.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
REZRKTD SS

To: Mr.Wyndham (sp) and CWL

I totally agree, they should let me use whenever I like. I'm going to ask another Service Advisor to see if I can get another answer. lol. Thanks guys!
Old 04-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
This is where our GM customer service reps that always report here could be a big help. Instead of trying to hook us up and just make appointments, tell us what the policy in the procedure is? We did that on the Corvette site and we got an answer so you could take it to the dealership in case they gave you any trash.

The specific questions are simple:
How many do we get into 2 years?
Can we have them at any time we want to?
Is this free DEXOS semi syn oil?
Or is it free Mobil 1 DEXOS spec oil?

GM customer service, want to weigh in here?
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by REZRKTD SS View Post
I would highly recommend doing it at 500 too if I were you. Something about the fillers the factory uses, and also of course any engine particles that could have come loose in the first 500 too.
The sky is not falling despite what you may read on the Interwebs. . I've had LS3's and LT1's and never did a 500 mile change.. If these engines were that fragile, GM wouldn't be selling them in the big numbers they are. Think the truck guys change oil twice in 1500 miles??...LOL. More likely when their oil change % reaches Zero at 7500 miles or so if then. I also have a 5 year powertrain warranty. I'll be dead or on to another car before I'm out of that warranty. If you're paranoid though, just do it!...

Last edited by Modshack; 04-25-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
This is where our GM customer service reps that always report here could be a big help. Instead of trying to hook us up and just make appointments, tell us what the policy in the procedure is? We did that on the Corvette site and we got an answer so you could take it to the dealership in case they gave you any trash.

The specific questions are simple:
How many do we get into 2 years?
Can we have them at any time we want to?
Is this free DEXOS semi syn oil?
Or is it free Mobil 1 DEXOS spec oil?

GM customer service, want to weigh in here?

It is 2 within the first 2/24k on a 2016 non z06 or z51 corvette.
I just spoke to service dept at my dealership, gm WILL NOT foot the bill on the factory free oil changes until 5k miles. And it would be dexos.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
Glen e

Yeah that's not the policy, and why I asked the question. Because My dealer will do them at any time, and use mobile 1 for free. So once again, I ask , what's the deal ,GM customer service?
Old 04-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Yeah that's not the policy, and why I asked the question. Because My dealer will do them at any time, and use mobile 1 for free. So once again, I ask , what's the deal ,GM customer service?
Their language says "scheduled service" within the 24,000 miles, with a four oil change limit...It could be a simple misinterpretation of either the dealer that will do four oil changes whenever...or four oil changes only when scheduled
Old 04-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #12
Glen e

So once again diff dealers do things differently. It would be nice if we had a document that we could take in a dealership that spells out exactly what the policy is. It's should not open for "interpretation", it should be a GM policy . How many? when? and what oil?......
Old 04-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
So once again diff dealers do things differently. It would be nice if we had a document that we could take in a dealership that spells out exactly what the policy is. It's should not open for "interpretation", it should be a GM policy . How many? when? and what oil?......
Oh, I agree completely. But I wonder if even a document will work.

I brought in my owners manual, and explained to the service advisors that I would like to bring in my own DOT 4 brake fluid ("boiling point above 534º") to switch out per the pre-track instructions in the owners manual. Mind you...I had very good direction from an engineer friend who worked with the Camaro variants; to go to the dealer and show them this.

They said no. "We can't put anything into it that didn't get put in it from the factory".

I was pissed...and promptly drove 4 states away to get it done with Pete and JPSS.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #14
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Oh, I agree completely. But I wonder if even a document will work.

I brought in my owners manual, and explained to the service advisors that I would like to bring in my own DOT 4 brake fluid ("boiling point above 534º") to switch out per the pre-track instructions in the owners manual. Mind you...I had very good direction from an engineer friend who worked with the Camaro variants; to go to the dealer and show them this.

They said no. "We can't put anything into it that didn't get put in it from the factory".

I was pissed...and promptly drove 4 states away to get it done with Pete and JPSS.
Agreed, It won't for a few dealers… But GM customer service on the Corvette was cutting checks to the people if they got charged for an upgrade to mobile 1. So everybody stopped arguing and just got the check from GM… That's why I would love for cust service to chime in on this.