Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
DJ Grilles
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 12:42 AM   #1
SulphurDave
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sulphur, LA
Posts: 36
I signed up finally!

Sorry but this might be a little rambling but it's my story for those who want to read it. I've been checking this site seems like a year now getting updates on the new Camaro but just never registered until now. I'm just really excited about this car.

I'm 28 and I grew up with my Dad who had a couple of 69 Camaros back in the day when I was about 5 years old. He ended up selling them but growing up he always reminded me of them and I always had a soft spot for those 69s. Well I grew up and eventually got into imports... boosted imports. Right now I drive a 2006 Acura RSX Type-S fixing to be twin-screw supercharged. But anyway... my Father recently passed away and I ended up getting his old 84 Chevy P/U truck that he's had since it was brand new off the lot. I decided to build a hot rod out of it in memory of him. A long time ago I made a license plate for him to put on his truck but he never put it on because it looked so nice. It was a picture of his old car and it read, "My Other Car is a 69 Camaro". Well after getting the truck painted I put the plate on the truck and that's where it's staying. I bought a 72 Nova drag racing car with a fully built 383 / TH350 and Ford 9" rear end and I swapped everything over to the truck. Now I'm getting that V8 fever.

Every since I found out about how they are bringing back the Camaro and how it's styled after the 69s I have been getting excited. So excited that I have decided to join the dark side. I'm getting this car when it comes out no doubt about it. Not only because I like how it resembles the 69s but because I will feel like I have a peice of my Dad with me being that he drove a Camaro when he was my age and I am taking after him.

Here's some pics of my truck (my Dad's old truck)

The license plate...



The way it sits now...



A quick photoshop of it lowered with wheels / tires...



A shot of the motor just being put in...

SulphurDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:07 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 25,900
Good story SulpherDave and welcome to the site. I never got to experience those days w/ Dad growing up. The parents split when I was 7. My dad had either an old Camaro or Firebird...I don't remember which but need to look for that one single pic of the car. I would have loved to turn wrenches w/ him, talk cars, and heck...a lot of other stuff too. I've got a 2 year old boy and another on the way. I plan on doing as much as I can w/ my boy in the Camaro area. He's already saying Chevy, Camaro, and SS when he sees my car.

I like the chopped pic of the lowered truck. Are there plans in the near future to drop it? It's amazing what lowering and adding wheels can do for a truck! Looks great!
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
Moose
Moderator
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newtown, Pa.
Posts: 4,016
Welcome to the site! Nice to have you aboard!!!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
Tran
Administrator
 
Tran's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NE baby
Posts: 4,838
Hi Dave, thanks for sharing the warm story behind your aspirations for the new Camaro. Welcome to the community!
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
SulphurDave
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sulphur, LA
Posts: 36
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yes I plan on doing a 4 link / coilover setup welded to that Ford 9" rear end. It has 410 gears and a strange spool in it. It's a bit narrowed so I'm going to be tubbing the rear fenders a little to fit some really wide wheels under there. It'll be lowered too eventually. I'm taking my time with it and doing it right. Meanwhile saving money for a big down payment on the Camaro. Can't wait!
__________________
SulphurDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:22 AM   #6
SulphurDave
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sulphur, LA
Posts: 36
Here's a video of it running open headers after we installed all the fuel lines.



Finally got my dash shaved, glassed and painted.



Here's a pic of the bed where I cut out the fenders to fit some meat back there. I'm having the factory fenders widened to keep somewhat of a factory look.



I finally got an exhaust put on. 2.5" pipe, 2.5" 2-chamber Flowmaster mufflers, cut-outs (dumps) and the tailpipes come down and 45'ed before the axle tube. So much more quiet now. Now... I need wheels/tires, I need to lower the front 4" (2" spindles & 2" coils?), front shocks, get rear fender tubs made, spray-in liner the inside of the bed, wire up all my AutoMeter gauges and mount the cluster bezel, install sport mirrors, new windshield and an inspection sticker. That should put me back on the road.




Here's another video with an exhaust. And yes I know it's running really rich. The carb needs to be jetted down and tuned.

SulphurDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:47 AM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,705
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Very Nice Work! Excellent sounds, too.

n00b question WARNING: What kind of tranny is that? Auto, or sequential...or something I've never heard of....
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
Past: 2012 Camaro ZL1 (For sale through Tom Henry Chevrolet)

Mr. Wyndham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:50 AM   #8
Dave McFly
*new car smell*
 
Dave McFly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Jamestown, NY
Posts: 2,012
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Wink

oh great, what the forum needs, another Dave
















just kidding, welcome to the site
__________________
If there is a Batman shampoo, how come there isn't a Conditioner Gordon?
Dave McFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:03 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,705
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
oh great, what the forum needs, another Dave
I know, right? We don't even like the one we've got now....





You know I'm just razzin' you...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
Past: 2012 Camaro ZL1 (For sale through Tom Henry Chevrolet)

Mr. Wyndham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:34 AM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,856
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
yo.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
oh great, what the forum needs, another Dave
i call you marty. lol
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:16 AM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 25,900
WOW!!! You're getting a lot done on that. LOVE the dash. Keep posting pix as the progress continues. Can't wait to see how she's gonna turn out!
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
SulphurDave
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sulphur, LA
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Very Nice Work! Excellent sounds, too.

n00b question WARNING: What kind of tranny is that? Auto, or sequential...or something I've never heard of....
a built th350 auto w/ pro ratchet shifter on the floor converted from column shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
oh great, what the forum needs, another Dave just kidding, welcome to the site
thanks again for the welcome. i've been lurking around for a year or so now and started this thread in january. i mostly come here to just read though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
WOW!!! You're getting a lot done on that. LOVE the dash. Keep posting pix as the progress continues. Can't wait to see how she's gonna turn out!
thanks! i'm most likely going to get some foose wheels built for it. i've been looking at getting 20x12 with a 13.5" section width tire for the rear and run 18s in the front for a staggered look.
__________________
SulphurDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #13
MerF
Go Rays!
 
MerF's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St Pete, Florida
Posts: 2,537
Kick ass truck.

Welcome.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #14
SulphurDave
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sulphur, LA
Posts: 36
Finally got the carburetor issue solved with the QuickFuel 750. Slapped it on, took the front jets out of the Holley and put'em in the Q/F, adjusted the linkage, 1 1/2 turns from base on the 4-corner idle... cranked right up ran great. I'm still gonna put a light on it to make sure the timing is right but I think it runs way better than it did and starts up easier.







__________________
SulphurDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #15
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 11VR2SSA6
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 13,797
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm used to being on a site full of young ricer people with ambition to build but no resources to help them or knowledge to do it correctly. It's good to see someone with a quality RSX-S and well-done Chevy truck. You've done some good work. How much have you spent on all that?
The_Blur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #16
SulphurDave
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sulphur, LA
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'm used to being on a site full of young ricer people with ambition to build but no resources to help them or knowledge to do it correctly. It's good to see someone with a quality RSX-S and well-done Chevy truck. You've done some good work. How much have you spent on all that?
I don't have the Acura anymore. I have those vehicles in the driveway in one of those videos. The RSX got replaced with the RX-7.

Well the truck was free and I'm around 10k+ into it so far and still have a little ways to go.
__________________
SulphurDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #17
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Drives: Cadillac CTS
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 608
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Lookin good
__________________
My Z28

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:40 PM   #18
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 11VR2SSA6
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 13,797
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by SulphurDave View Post
I don't have the Acura anymore. I have those vehicles in the driveway in one of those videos. The RSX got replaced with the RX-7.

Well the truck was free and I'm around 10k+ into it so far and still have a little ways to go.
For a car enthusiast, there's always a little bit to go.
The_Blur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #19
BrokenTrans
Dead Seriousness
 
BrokenTrans's Avatar
 
Drives: two wheel turbo
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 29°39'55" North, 82°20'10" West
Posts: 14
wow sounds like you have quite a few projects ahead, twinscrew supercharger on a type-s (redshift?), good luck getting traction .

Seriously though I want to see some in car videos of you racing the truck, looks and sounds badass.
BrokenTrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #20
85convertibleZ28
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss rs cgm M6
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by SulphurDave View Post
Sorry but this might be a little rambling but it's my story for those who want to read it. I've been checking this site seems like a year now getting updates on the new Camaro but just never registered until now. I'm just really excited about this car.

I'm 28 and I grew up with my Dad who had a couple of 69 Camaros back in the day when I was about 5 years old. He ended up selling them but growing up he always reminded me of them and I always had a soft spot for those 69s. Well I grew up and eventually got into imports... boosted imports. Right now I drive a 2006 Acura RSX Type-S fixing to be twin-screw supercharged. But anyway... my Father recently passed away and I ended up getting his old 84 Chevy P/U truck that he's had since it was brand new off the lot. I decided to build a hot rod out of it in memory of him. A long time ago I made a license plate for him to put on his truck but he never put it on because it looked so nice. It was a picture of his old car and it read, "My Other Car is a 69 Camaro". Well after getting the truck painted I put the plate on the truck and that's where it's staying. I bought a 72 Nova drag racing car with a fully built 383 / TH350 and Ford 9" rear end and I swapped everything over to the truck. Now I'm getting that V8 fever.

Every since I found out about how they are bringing back the Camaro and how it's styled after the 69s I have been getting excited. So excited that I have decided to join the dark side. I'm getting this car when it comes out no doubt about it. Not only because I like how it resembles the 69s but because I will feel like I have a peice of my Dad with me being that he drove a Camaro when he was my age and I am taking after him.

Here's some pics of my truck (my Dad's old truck)

The license plate...



The way it sits now...



A quick photoshop of it lowered with wheels / tires...



A shot of the motor just being put in...

Welcome aboard, I'm sorry to here about your dad I just lost my dad last month, Those pics of the 69s bring back memories for me the one on the for left is the same color as mine it wasn't top dog but it was my first car it had a 307 with a two speed power glide but nice work on the truck. I think it would be nice if some how you could dedicate the new camaro to your dad like the license plate or something inside the car, Just a thought
85convertibleZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #21
SulphurDave
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sulphur, LA
Posts: 36
Yea my Dad and his 69 Camaros have a lot of influence on getting a 5th gen for myself.
__________________
SulphurDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #22
SulphurDave
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sulphur, LA
Posts: 36
I'm about 95% done with the interior now. Just need to wire up the guages (the cluster is just sitting in there in the pic), install the stereo and tint the windows.

After



Before

__________________
SulphurDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #23
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 17,910
Nice work. Looks brand new.
__________________
"J, you're my favorite Pokemod" ~Revo1
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #24
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,584
The interior is gorgeous. Where did you get the buckets?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #25
SulphurDave
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sulphur, LA
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
The interior is gorgeous. Where did you get the buckets?
91 Suburban
__________________
SulphurDave is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.