Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #15
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmancha003 View Post
Thank you for all the responses. I have had quite a few cars for my age. Some of them I regret selling, others I regret buying (especially my current car). I have been toying with a C6 Z06, E92 M3 (supercharged- much like the one i had before), and a Z/28. I have had turbo'd cars, awd 4 bangers, high rev v8, incline 6, etc. I have never had a big, n/a v8. I have no doubt that the Z/28 is the mix of "old school" and modern (except for the electronic steering).
What I will say is that I do miss my ZR1......I wouldn't give up the Z/28 for it, I just gotta figure out how to convince the wife to let me get another one.....or a C6 Z06 (Z07 package or Carbon)........
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #16
YOLO Z/28
YOLO Z/28

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Quote:
So, I am in the market for a car soonish (2 to 3 months out). I have a couple cars in mind, which the Z/28 is on the list (obviously). How did you know that this was the car for you? Secondary question- did you test drive or ride in one previous to buying it? And last question- with the market as it is, how did you test drive one for those that did? I am in DFW, which I would assume would be one of the more concentrated areas of owners/seller, but there aren't any close for sale. Closest one was sold before it made it to the weekend. Thanks in advance!
Honestly, I was in the market for a 6th gen 1LE. All the bells and whistles with recaros, 6 pot brembos, more aggressive gearing etc... I drove a regular 6th gen SS, a Z51 Stingray, and then my Z. The first 2 cars were definitely more refined, but I just enjoyed driving the Z better. Now that I have modded mine and a lot of stuff has broke from just a mere 593rwhp, I do wish I had bought a ZL1. Its got a much beefier trans, diff, axles, and drive shaft. They're also cheaper, so could be ripped the puny blower off and gone twin turbo with a solid fuel system and upgraded the suspension to handle like a Z/28 with the money i have invested in fixing valve guides, replacing broken drive train parts and throwing boost at it.
2014 Red Hot Z/28, CTF car #39/69. HCI, Supercharged, boltons.
2006 SRM GTO, exhaust, VMR V701 wheels (SOLD)
2002 Bright Red Trans Am WS6: HCI, exhaust, tune, Konis, UMI sways, LCAs, Track bar, STB, 2" boxed steel SFCs (SOLD)
YOLO Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #17
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by '14RedHotZ View Post
Honestly, I was in the market for a 6th gen 1LE. All the bells and whistles with recaros, 6 pot brembos, more aggressive gearing etc... I drove a regular 6th gen SS, a Z51 Stingray, and then my Z. The first 2 cars were definitely more refined, but I just enjoyed driving the Z better. Now that I have modded mine and a lot of stuff has broke from just a mere 593rwhp, I do wish I had bought a ZL1. Its got a much beefier trans, diff, axles, and drive shaft. They're also cheaper, so could be ripped the puny blower off and gone twin turbo with a solid fuel system and upgraded the suspension to handle like a Z/28 with the money i have invested in fixing valve guides, replacing broken drive train parts and throwing boost at it.
Correct... I could have told you years ago the Z28 was the wrong car for you if you wanted boost. I care nothing about and wont own a ZL1. I had a super charged corvette. If you want a drag car they are great. If you want a stop light to stop light car they are great. My Sierra will get a super charger.

No way in hell will my Z28 get one. These are track cars meant to run all day in extreme conditions. When it is 105 out and track temps are in the 130's my Z28 will last all day without getting warm. The ZL1s and Z06s and my old vette are sitting on the sides or limping around the track.

I tell everyone if you want a comfy run of the mill car get the ZL1. It will make your co workers smile. If you want to win on a road race get the Z28. Most people prefer the ZL1. Thats why they still make it.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #18
YOLO Z/28
YOLO Z/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
Correct... I could have told you years ago the Z28 was the wrong car for you if you wanted boost. I care nothing about and wont own a ZL1. I had a super charged corvette. If you want a drag car they are great. If you want a stop light to stop light car they are great. My Sierra will get a super charger.

No way in hell will my Z28 get one. These are track cars meant to run all day in extreme conditions. When it is 105 out and track temps are in the 130's my Z28 will last all day without getting warm. The ZL1s and Z06s and my old vette are sitting on the sides or limping around the track.

I tell everyone if you want a comfy run of the mill car get the ZL1. It will make your co workers smile. If you want to win on a road race get the Z28. Most people prefer the ZL1. Thats why they still make it.
Factory supercharged cars suck for road racing, plain and simple. I'm not sure what form of boosted your cars have been, but if it's intercooler correctly, your IAT's will be fine. My car has 0 overheating issues. It runs at 180* engine temp and just a little hotter oil temp even on a hot 108* HPDE. I love road racing. This car just wasn't cut out for long term abuse with 600hp. Granted, the broken drive train components were while drag racing (because I appreciate all forms of motorsports). Had I bought a ZL1, I would've started with a better base for the all purpose I want the car to do. I still live my car, and will continue to make it what the factory should have made like to begin with.
2002 Bright Red Trans Am WS6: HCI, exhaust, tune, Konis, UMI sways, LCAs, Track bar, STB, 2" boxed steel SFCs (SOLD)
Old 05-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #19
frenchsquared

Quote:
Factory supercharged cars suck for road racing, plain and simple. I'm not sure what form of boosted your cars have been, but if it's intercooler correctly, your IAT's will be fine. My car has 0 overheating issues. It runs at 180* engine temp and just a little hotter oil temp even on a hot 108* HPDE. I love road racing. This car just wasn't cut out for long term abuse with 600hp. Granted, the broken drive train components were while drag racing (because I appreciate all forms of motorsports). Had I bought a ZL1, I would've started with a better base for the all purpose I want the car to do. I still live my car, and will continue to make it what the factory should have made like to begin with.
If your ever in Colorado I would love to see it. No one including Ford and GM can do it. I know someone selling a super snake if you want it. He hates the car. Wont stay out of limp mode. Watched a Zl1 hit the tire wall and blow up... after it sat and cooled down. New Z06 get about 8 laps before they go into limp mode. I have 3 buddies with 2016 and up Z06s

I know sponsored guy with every inch of the cooling system upgrade and on 105 days he cannot keep it cool.

You can say anything you want in a forum but I have first hand knowledge on a race track. I will bet $500 that on a 105 degree day at PMP I can put your car into limp mode in 1 20 min session. Assuming it has one.

If you can prove it, I know two guys that would pay you $5,000 or more to make there cars run 180 oil temps with a super charger. My car idled at 120 in the snow. I came in at 310. Your car should be over 130 before you even hit the track.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #20
YOLO Z/28
YOLO Z/28

Quote:
If your ever in Colorado I would love to see it. No one including Ford and GM can do it. I know someone selling a super snake if you want it. He hates the car. Wont stay out of limp mode. Watched a Zl1 hit the tire wall and blow up... after it sat and cooled down. New Z06 get about 8 laps before they go into limp mode. I have 3 buddies with 2016 and up Z06s

I know sponsored guy with every inch of the cooling system upgrade and on 105 days he cannot keep it cool.

You can say anything you want in a forum but I have first hand knowledge on a race track. I will bet $500 that on a 105 degree day at PMP I can put your car into limp mode in 1 20 min session. Assuming it has one.

If you can prove it, I know two guys that would pay you $5,000 or more to make there cars run 180 oil temps with a super charger. My car idled at 120 in the snow. I came in at 310. Your car should be over 130 before you even hit the track.
If any of your buddies don't own a roots or twin screw I can help. If they do own a PD blower, they will always overheat. Unfortunately, that is what the factory goes with for driveability on daily commutes. You just can't remove the heat being generated from the blower, then parasitically soaked into the motor from a car. That's why I asked you, what kind of blower. Turbo and centrifugals have the benefit of a front mount. My car will run 190-205 in traffic on a hot day, but as long as air is getting into the front grill, it stays cool.

If they have a turbo or centri, tell your friends to run a 1300cubic inch front mount. I cant promise they wound have to modify bracing, etc. I had to get a custom fab front bumper brace. They then need a larger radiator (mine is a billet dual core) with increased water capacity, 160 T-stat, higherflowing water pump, dual Spal electric fans, and they shouldn't experience any problems. Where the aforementioned boost generators have potential short falls, is boost leaks in the tubing.

If you're ever in bowling green, KY at an NCM road course event, I'd be happy to show you for free. I'm all about helping the LS community out.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #21
frenchsquared

Quote:
If any of your buddies don't own a roots or twin screw I can help. If they do own a PD blower, they will always overheat. Unfortunately, that is what the factory goes with for driveability on daily commutes. You just can't remove the heat being generated from the blower, then parasitically soaked into the motor from a car. That's why I asked you, what kind of blower. Turbo and centrifugals have the benefit of a front mount. My car will run 190-205 in traffic on a hot day, but as long as air is getting into the front grill, it stays cool.

If they have a turbo or centri, tell your friends to run a 1300cubic inch front mount. I cant promise they wound have to modify bracing, etc. I had to get a custom fab front bumper brace. They then need a larger radiator (mine is a billet dual core) with increased water capacity, 160 T-stat, higherflowing water pump, dual Spal electric fans, and they shouldn't experience any problems. Where the aforementioned boost generators have potential short falls, is boost leaks in the tubing.

If you're ever in bowling green, KY at an NCM road course event, I'd be happy to show you for free. I'm all about helping the LS community out.
Mine and the other aftermarket were Vortech. Without Meth they wont cool down. Least I have never heard of seen anyone who could keep one cool. Anyone who knows how needs to open a shop. They will be rich as soon as they get the word out. We are high jacking his thread....
Old 05-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #22
YOLO Z/28
YOLO Z/28

Quote:
Mine and the other aftermarket were Vortech. Without Meth they wont cool down. Least I have never heard of seen anyone who could keep one cool. Anyone who knows how needs to open a shop. They will be rich as soon as they get the word out. We are high jacking his thread....
Indeed we are. Well, like I said I don't really charge anyone anything. Building motors and performance mods is my hobby.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #23
Z28-TX

Drives: 2015 Z-28 / '13 Howe TA2 Camaro
Z-28 Possible Sale Texas Car

Quote:
So, I am in the market for a car soonish (2 to 3 months out). I have a couple cars in mind, which the Z/28 is on the list (obviously). How did you know that this was the car for you? Secondary question- did you test drive or ride in one previous to buying it? And last question- with the market as it is, how did you test drive one for those that did? I am in DFW, which I would assume would be one of the more concentrated areas of owners/seller, but there aren't any close for sale. Closest one was sold before it made it to the weekend. Thanks in advance!
I have a '15 Red Hot Z-28 with AC. Approx. 7K Miles. Bought a used Trans Am TA2 Car to go Wheel to Wheel Racing and may sell the Z-28 provided I'm comfortable with the Race Car. Taking it out in two weeks for it's maiden voyage.

As you get closer to your decision let me know if you have an interest.

Thanks

Steve
Z28-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #24
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Hi,

I loaded up some reading material for you in pdf's attached on the Z/28 - I loved it when it first came out, but couldn't see a $75k camaro in my garage. In 2016 I drove a buddy's GT350R and loved it, went looking for one and all were $25k over MSRP - starting reading and watching reviews and always compared to the Z/28 - so I went on Autotrader and found some new ones were available for $55k or less.

Ended up buying a Gray 2015, new with 19 miles on it site unseen, no test drive. My buddy got a white one, new, from the same dealer, they were shipped out to us in the same truck!

We have no regrets on the car. It is not a daily driver for me, just a fun car for weekends. For that and for the occasional track day it is a great car.

Some of the fit and finish is not great and the interior has some cheap plastic, the stereo is a joke etc. But once you turn the key and head out, none of that matters - the car is just awesome to drive and enjoy.

I was at S.Cal's 2nd annual Camaro Com a few weeks back and of 1,000 +/- camaro's I only saw 3 Z/28's in the crowd (a few more on vendor displays). You won't see them everyday and they are great looking.

It is one big, bad @$$, fun car and for the money it can't be beat in the performance per $ category.

The only regret you will have is you waited so long to get one!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 15-PG-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28.pdf (234.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: pdf Z_28 SPECIAL BULLETIN.pdf (121.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf Z28_TrackPREP_Final (1).pdf (134.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf Camaro-Z28-Tech-Backgrounder-2013.pdf (6.13 MB, 55 views)
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #25
z28monster

Drives: 15 Z28, 17 GT350R
Quote:
I've heard from both tuners and owners (C6 Z06), that supercharging an LS7 motor is not ideal. Perhaps you've come into some problems by supercharging?

I went HCI with 575RWHP and couldn't be happier.
z28monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #26
z28monster

Drives: 15 Z28, 17 GT350R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post
What I will say is that I do miss my ZR1......I wouldn't give up the Z/28 for it, I just gotta figure out how to convince the wife to let me get another one.....or a C6 Z06 (Z07 package or Carbon)........
Had a 2011 SSB Carbon Edition - great car, horrible seats like all C6's. I'm currently perusing for a 2013 ZR1. If I pull the trigger, stock seats are getting pulled and going aftermarket.
z28monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #27
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
Hi,

I loaded up some reading material for you in pdf's attached on the Z/28 - I loved it when it first came out, but couldn't see a $75k camaro in my garage. In 2016 I drove a buddy's GT350R and loved it, went looking for one and all were $25k over MSRP - starting reading and watching reviews and always compared to the Z/28 - so I went on Autotrader and found some new ones were available for $55k or less.

Ended up buying a Gray 2015, new with 19 miles on it site unseen, no test drive. My buddy got a white one, new, from the same dealer, they were shipped out to us in the same truck!

We have no regrets on the car. It is not a daily driver for me, just a fun car for weekends. For that and for the occasional track day it is a great car.

Some of the fit and finish is not great and the interior has some cheap plastic, the stereo is a joke etc. But once you turn the key and head out, none of that matters - the car is just awesome to drive and enjoy.

I was at S.Cal's 2nd annual Camaro Com a few weeks back and of 1,000 +/- camaro's I only saw 3 Z/28's in the crowd (a few more on vendor displays). You won't see them everyday and they are great looking.

It is one big, bad @$$, fun car and for the money it can't be beat in the performance per $ category.

The only regret you will have is you waited so long to get one!
Hey, I parked next to you at Camarocon! I remember ogling your harnesses and telling my girlfriend "This guy goes fast"
Old 05-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #28
YOLO Z/28
YOLO Z/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28monster View Post
I've heard from both tuners and owners (C6 Z06), that supercharging an LS7 motor is not ideal. Perhaps you've come into some problems by supercharging?

I went HCI with 575RWHP and couldn't be happier.
Less than ideal if the motor is stock, or you push boost too high. Mines built to handle the measly boost I'm running. The rest of the car just isn't equipped to deal with the output at 600rwhp.

I am super happy about the power output, driveability, handling prowess, and trackability of the car. However, my trackability ends at auto X and Road racing. On the strip, if the car dead hooks it will brake something. The Z/28 is close to a Jack of all trades car. Just in my experience the ZL1 is a little closer... There's a reason it's still in production and the Z/28 is not. Compromise was made to engineering with the Z/28 in the name of weight reduction. Thought was not placed into what happens when consumers stretch the cars capabilities. The ZL1 received more thought, and Al O was a staunch supporter of its overengineering. I just go back to the drive line. They knew from the onset that was the weak link In the 5th gen platform, so they put a 9.9in rear end in it
Attached Images