Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
My L99 Custom Exhaust with Pics

I tried the muffler delete, but the AFM drone was killing me. Actually put the damn mufflers back on, but that, as you know, is just way too quiet. Went to my shop today and took a chance. We cut the old exhaust off just behind the cats, and did our own cat-back system. I used a pair of Magnaflows in place of the weird-a$$ single/giant muffler/resonator that's towards the front of our cars (pic attached of that thing, too). Test drove it like that, but there was a bad drone. Added "generic" glass-packs where the old mufflers were, and PURRFECT! A slight drone when AFM kicks in, but not bad at all. Oh yeah - also added an X-pipe just behind the cats.

Weird thing about the big, center muffler is that it is basically straight through on each side - no baffles and no cross-overs. Must be to just deaden sound. Placing the Magnaflows where we did had the same effect inside the car.

I discovered, too, that you can "defeat" the AFM at highway speeds by using the paddle shifters. I always thought you had to stay down a gear, but I discovered that once you use the shifters, you can go back to 6th and NO AFM!!!!!!! I just had my re-flash today for the HVAC system, but I don't think this had anything to do with it. Mechanic told me there were no other updates.

Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
MaroSS
ZL1

Drives: 10' SS/RS - Sold; 15' White ZL1
SOUND CLIPS!!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
kelleyperformance

Drives: DD- 15' Chevy SS Sedan
looks nice!

wow that resonator is weird as hell... i think the LS3 is quiet, can only imagine the L99 with that huge thing feeding into even bigger mufflers lol
Old 10-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
stryker755

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert AGM
Looks sweet, but what do you have running out the back? Looks like an axle back kit with the wider tailpipes as opposed to normal muffler delete with custom bent tails?
stryker755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
Those are actually the "generic" glass pack mufflers. Only 12" long and straight through, but they are packed around the core. They made a significant difference in reducing the drone and resonance. Ran those as part of the custom bent tailpipes.

The funny thing is that the stock exhaust is basically straight pipe. That giant muffler in the middle is straight through with a few bends, and the stock mufflers are straight through, but with a bend and a lot of inlets for gases/sound...You would think they would have built in a crossover into the center muffler, but they did not. That said, if I gained any power, it was because of the X-pipe.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
eddie SS
ALWAYS A MARINE......!!!

Drives: 2010 camaro IOM/2SS/RS/sunroof
Send a message via AIM to eddie SS
Sound clip would be sweet....

Mods so far: SOLO Performance MACH XL cat-back exhaust, NOWEEDS exhaust diverters, Tinted windows, gas cap decal, bow tie black outs, Cold Air Inc CAI, Eibach Pro kit lowering springs

Mods I have but not installed yet: rear trunk black out, Diablosport Trinity

Future Mods: ARH long tube w/ high flow cats or Dynatech's SuperMaXX long tube w/ high flow cats, Maggie S/C
eddie SS is offline   Reply With Quote