Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #15
ls3 Grenadier

Drives: 2011 camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
L99 or LS3?
LS3
ls3 Grenadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #16
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I’m probably picking at nothing here but, could that possibly have anything to do with it?

Also remember it’s not an issue that’s been constant, which if it were any seal
Problems I would assume my issue would be persistent..[/QUOTE]

yeah your probably right
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:44 AM   #17
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Strange that it is intermittent. It seems like when the pressure hits 50 it gets bypassed & builds again. What oil filters do you use. Could it be the bypass valve acting up with the melling pump? That is unlikely but just throwing it out there.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #18
RACERJOE1

Drives: 2014 2SS
Possible the wiring harness may have been damaged during engine removal and install???
May want to install a mechanical pressure gauge to see the actual pressure to rule out possible electrical issue....just a thought.

Last edited by RACERJOE1; 09-18-2021 at 09:12 AM.
RACERJOE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:06 AM   #19
ls3 Grenadier

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
Strange that it is intermittent. It seems like when the pressure hits 50 it gets bypassed & builds again. What oil filters do you use. Could it be the bypass valve acting up with the melling pump? That is unlikely but just throwing it out there.
I usually run Ac Delco or mobile 1 filters and I wouldn’t even begin to know about the bypass system acting up. That’s something I’ll have to look into or have someone chime in and educate us layman.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:12 AM   #20
ls3 Grenadier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACERJOE1 View Post
Possible the wiring harness may have been damaged during engine removal and install???
May want to install a mechanical pressure gauge to rule out possible electrical issue....just a thought.
You know what actually yes.. this might sound very stupid coming from me but just yesterday I was smelling burnt plastic and I come to find out after investigating that my passenger upper o2 sensor connector was taking a nap on my header… it did pop an 02 fuse which I replaced(was fine after). However, that wire loom could house the wire that leads to the pressure sending unit. and it could have been going on for weeks as far as I know.

Are you suspecting the sending unit wire is damaged or something else?
Old 09-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #21
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
When you replaced the barbell in the block did you go with plastic or billet? In my experience the billet is a much better piece. I’m wondering if you don’t have a pump relief issue. Since your not an L99 you don’t have to worry about the relief in the pan. I wouldn’t be inclined to think it’s a burned wire for the sending unit as it reads normal most of the time once a wire burns, it burns, know what I mean?

Edit: actually I think I may remember the LS3 having the relief in the pan even though it’s not necessary.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 03:21 PM   #22
ls3 Grenadier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
When you replaced the barbell in the block did you go with plastic or billet? In my experience the billet is a much better piece. I’m wondering if you don’t have a pump relief issue. Since your not an L99 you don’t have to worry about the relief in the pan. I wouldn’t be inclined to think it’s a burned wire for the sending unit as it reads normal most of the time once a wire burns, it burns, know what I mean?

Edit: actually I think I may remember the LS3 having the relief in the pan even though it’s not necessary.
I’m positive it’s a plastic barbell. My builder never mentioned anything about a billet one and I never opted for it.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #23
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3 Grenadier View Post
Thanks gt, but I skimmed through the first two pages but didn’t find anything. Do you remember what the title might have been?
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597263
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #24
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3 Grenadier View Post
I filmed a vid to show you guys.. I just uploaded it so
The quality might be quite bad until it processes the higher quality but none the less here’s the link:

https://youtube.com/shorts/TMyrCsddwtc?feature=share

As soon as the video starts I start to slowly accelerate and you can see that it sort of stagnates and even goes down a little bit. It then starts to increase HOWEVER when I actually let off.. you see it spike to 50+ ? And as I start to accelerate again it goes back down. So I’m not sure if it’s just very delayed and inaccurate or what’s going on. The reason I’m confused is because it never used to do that.
I had a Ls1 TA that did the same thing for 140k miles till I sold it. Never had a problem with it. Did concern me at 1st but I just forgot about after 140k miles. I'm not sure because I never checked it but someone told to check the crank end play, excessive end play can cause the crank walk back and forth and you can see it in the oil pressure readings. But who really knows, could simply be the electrical system, sensor etc. so many things to worry over.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:00 AM   #25
RACERJOE1

Drives: 2014 2SS
Possible, but temporarily installing a mechanical gauge would rule out whether it's electrical or actually a mechanical issue.

Last edited by RACERJOE1; 09-21-2021 at 08:55 AM.
RACERJOE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:45 AM   #26
2010RSIOM

Drives: 2010 RS LLT M6
So, just watched the video you posted of the gauge. It is interesting to me, and just throwing this out there, but it is acting like the gauge is wired backwards. Under acceleration, the oil pressure drops when it should increase...under decel, the oil pressure rises. Strange. Mine (it's an LLT) idles at about 35 to 40 and under acceleration, hits about 65. I know, different engine. Anyway, it is almost like your gauge is acting in reverse.
2010RSIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #27
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post

Yes, same pan for the LS3 and L99. I see you edited your post. Was going to post last night, but got occupied. The relief is there for AFM and VVT function with the L99 and it's oil pump. The pressure relief in the pan is to be 55 psi.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:45 AM   #28
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
Yes, same pan for the LS3 and L99. I see you edited your post. Was going to post last night, but got occupied. The relief is there for AFM and VVT function with the L99 and it's oil pump. The pressure relief in the pan is to be 55 psi.
Yeah I thought the relief valve was set to 55 psi also. But after posting that I had multiple people tell me they regularly see over 55 psi on their engines. So after doing a lot of researching I actually found out it is set to 70 psi.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote