Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
Louis @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 2010 SS/RS 2009 CG Z06
L99/V8 Automatic reliability issues with 500 rwhp+

How many people here have 500+ rwhp with the automatic transmission, and is it living?

How much RWHP?
Does it shift properly?
Have you broken one in the past?
Who tuned it?
What tuning software was used?

Im trying to gauge how reliable these transmissions are, how well the calibrations are done, and how they perform.

The vettes have basically the same transmission, and we have a lot more control over them, the shifting, and their performance. There is something lacking with that same transmission in the Camaro, and we are trying to figure out the issue.

Louis
Louis @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
i would think mine would be close to that, i have just over 5000 miles on mine with really no issues, shifts are pretty firm for a 3200 stall converter, i also have a large trans cooler with its own fan, using hp tuners , they are trying to get all the trans pressure tables figured out, seems like there is still something in the tcm that is limiting the line pressure

car is put away for winter now but when i bring it back out im going to put a pressure gauge on the trans and do some runs and see if the pressures are coming up high enough for when the small nitrous kit and gears going on in the spring

there isnt a lot of trans tuning info out yet for the camaro 6l80e with a stall,, i just did a bunch of trial and error tuning and seeing what the vette and g8 guys were changing, and it seems a lot of the trans tables really dont do anything for shift feel or pressures, the camaro tcm tune is totally different that both those cars.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29240
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Louis @ LG Motorsports

The changes made in a C6 to get the shifts right do not equate to the same result in the Camaros. I do agree, even basing some of the knowledge learned on the other 2 platforms, there is definitely something lacking that we cannot account for.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
We have a 600rwhp turbo car.Tranny was a bitch.Seemed like the best fix was to have some TM put in to drop power on the shift.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
carguy
Carguy

Drives: 57Chevy,67,80,2@10's camaro's,04SSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports View Post
How many people here have 500+ rwhp with the automatic transmission, and is it living?

How much RWHP?
Does it shift properly?
Who tuned it?

Im trying to gauge how reliable these transmissions are, how well the calibrations are done, and how they perform.

The vettes have basically the same transmission, and we have a lot more control over them, the shifting, and their performance. There is something lacking with that same transmission in the Camaro, and we are trying to figure out the issue.

Louis
I haven't had mine dyno'd but I have a magnusun SC with AR headers and flow thru cats. with complete Corsa exhaust. It has the canned Magnusun tune but doesn't throw any codes so I assume its fairly close. I am sure it could be tweaked but I have magnusun warranty and its void if I mess with the tune. 3 years.

Any who...I have had no problems as of yet.

I might not be at 500RW but gotta be close. Especially when it cold here.
Man that thing runs alot better when its 10 degrees outside.

Although getting it to hook on cold pavement is a different problem.

I got my fingers crossed. ( on the tranny)

Put away for winter got 15 inches of snow a couple days ago and that would be that. Back to the Truck. Bummer
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
spinetexas

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Hey car guy does the warranty cover the trans? Thought it just covered the Supercharger. I have the same supercharger set up, dyno at 525 rwhp, tranny good so far.
spinetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:

Louis
Late Model Racecraft has been running with close to double that peak power to the wheels and theirs seems to be holding up so far.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
camaro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinetexas View Post
Hey car guy does the warranty cover the trans? Thought it just covered the Supercharger. I have the same supercharger set up, dyno at 525 rwhp, tranny good so far.

im sure it is just the supercharger they warranty,, no supercharger company is going to take over the entire powertrain warranty that is now void by gm
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
Old 12-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm almost certainly getting the automatic, and this thread definitely raised a red flag. The tune and the gearing in the auto have made the stock version keep up with the manual, but it would make sense that it might not be quite the same as in a Corvette. For that reason, I have a couple of suggestions I'd like to see tried before I get into a car that's going to produce disappointing shifts when I start making some really great horsepower numbers. Yes—my suggestions are crazy and reflect that I need to do some more reading on the subject. For this I apologize.

Have you tried using the computer from a Corvette on a Camaro? I know nothing about the computers on cars, and each one is different; however, my hypothesis is that the engine and transmission might act differently if they thought they were powering a Corvette. The only way that I know to do that would be to use Corvette parts in a Camaro. I suggest this drastic option because I doubt that simply putting a Corvette tune on a different computer made for a Camaro will work.

Have you tried using an aftermarket transmission? This is an even more ridiculous option, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case all else fails.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #10
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
im sure it is just the supercharger they warranty,, no supercharger company is going to take over the entire powertrain warranty that is now void by gm
you are wrong. Magnuson SC is covered under the standard Magnuson warranty but you can buy the OPTIONAL Powertrain warranty and it is good provided you abide by the requirements (use Magnuson tune, no other mods, valid from vehicle purchase date not SC install date, etc)
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:57 AM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
you are wrong. Magnuson SC is covered under the standard Magnuson warranty but you can buy the OPTIONAL Powertrain warranty and it is good provided you abide by the requirements (use Magnuson tune, no other mods, valid from vehicle purchase date not SC install date, etc)
Don't forget the fine print, NO RACING.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #12
camaro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Don't forget the fine print, NO RACING.
exactly,, they are not going to be paying for rear ends and trans,, and any abuse, good luck getting them to pay for anything.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:

How much RWHP?
Does it shift properly?
Who tuned it?

Louis
LS1 Speeds' (Speed Inc) car is doing 10's on the stock trans I think. Never mind, pretty sure thats a stick. There are more cars than LMR's car that is putting down some serious power through the auto. I just cant think of them right now.

Last edited by VADER SS L99; 12-17-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: messed up
VADER SS L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
Louis @ LG Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Late Model Racecraft has been running with close to double that peak power to the wheels and theirs seems to be holding up so far.
Thats not the info I got. From what I know, its been through a lot of transmissions, and they can only get it to shift right with the paddles, it will not shift right when left in D....

I do not have the ability to take different parts of PCMs and swapping them between platforms. That would be best for someone who knows the proper code and can segment them.

Having said that, has anyone had a solenoid failure? IE car shifts with the techII, but will not shift otherwise?