Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #645
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camar0wn3d View Post
That's what I thought too, but VR Tech support insisted that their testing proved it ran richer as you backed it out. I would guess it has to do with the dynamics of the airflow in that small section of straight pipe...? Either that or it tries to make it run leaner, then the feedback from the O2's adjusts the fuel trims to overcompensate for the lean condition...? I'm just guessing here.
This is what is does.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #646
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
This is what is does.
What are your FT's?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #647
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
What are your FT's?
This is with the 3" not tuned.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Fuel trims.doc (193.5 KB, 141 views)

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

Old 02-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #648
Davis

Drives: '10 Black 2SS/RS M6
Alright guys, I got my replacement yesterday and put it in last night.

The unit is fully sealed with no chance for gaps or unwanted airflow.
Install was straight-forward and only took 20 minutes.
I've got about 20 miles on it so I don't want to give any impressions until it's had time to learn the new air flow.
I did a fuse pull to reset everything just prior to installation.

I have a question for you guys who have done this install.
The passenger side of the intake scoop sits right down on top of the AC condenser and feels very solid. However, the driver's side does not. It sits just above, maybe a 1/4", and has some play up and down. I've checked everything and it's installed exactly per the instructions and Jeanius' DIY.
Is this normal?
Delivered 4/17/2009
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #649
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Alright guys, I got my replacement yesterday and put it in last night.

The unit is fully sealed with no chance for gaps or unwanted airflow.
Install was straight-forward and only took 20 minutes.
I've got about 20 miles on it so I don't want to give any impressions until it's had time to learn the new air flow.
I did a fuse pull to reset everything just prior to installation.

I have a question for you guys who have done this install.
The passenger side of the intake scoop sits right down on top of the AC condenser and feels very solid. However, the driver's side does not. It sits just above, maybe a 1/4", and has some play up and down. I've checked everything and it's installed exactly per the instructions and Jeanius' DIY.
Is this normal?
Loosen the clamps and rotate the unit to the desired position. Hold it there and tighten the clamps back up. Also check to make sure your spacers did not move on you, I had this happen. If you still can't get it to touch and you really want it to, I bet Vararam would shave a spacer for you to drop one side a little. Although I don't see any problem with it, the unit is not being supported by the condensor. Let us know how it drives, in my experience it does not take more than a few minutes to see a problem.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

Old 02-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #650
Davis

It had the play in it before I tightened the clamps. The spacers are there and installed correctly. The driver's side is not sitting all the way down on the spacer nor the condenser. I can apply light pressure and it will sit firmly down. However when the pressure is removed it moves back up.

I don't really think it's a problem, but the passenger side feels very solid and I want the driver's to feel the same way. I'm just a perfectionist when it comes to these things.

As far as driving, it idles just like before but does have some slight bucking/surging @ ~1800 RPM's. I'm not really concerned about it yet. I'll give it the full 100 miles to learn before I judge.
Delivered 4/17/2009
Old 02-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #651
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Quote:
It had the play in it before I tightened the clamps. The spacers are there and installed correctly. The driver's side is not sitting all the way down on the spacer nor the condenser. I can apply light pressure and it will sit firmly down. However when the pressure is removed it moves back up.

I don't really think it's a problem, but the passenger side feels very solid and I want the driver's to feel the same way. I'm just a perfectionist when it comes to these things.

As far as driving, it idles just like before but does have some slight bucking/surging @ ~1800 RPM's. I'm not really concerned about it yet. I'll give it the full 100 miles to learn before I judge.
Try an loosen the clamp closest to the unit enough where you can move it. Push down on the drivers side of the unit and re tighten. I'll go look an see if mine has the same gap.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

Old 02-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #652
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Okay took a look at mine. I have the same gap. It appears when clamped to the throttle body the unit has to follow that slope or angle. It looks like you can loosen the clamp and perhaps move the unit forward or backward in the boot to get the desired position. Try that and let me know if it works. I don't have time to mess with mine at the moment. By the way, my passenger spacer is not even touching the unit. You can also try moving the spacers to a different location on the radiator(contour permitting).

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #653
Davis

OK talk about customer service...

No more than 5 minutes after my first post today guess what show's up on my caller ID...Vararam Inc.

It was Patrick calling to address the fitment issue.
We also talked about the slight surging @ 1800 and he's sending out a 2.5" unit just in case it's doesn't work itself out. He's also going to send out a data logger to get information on the shorty headers.

I have complete confidence in Patrick and Vararam to make everything perfect.
So all you naysayers can add my name to the fanboy list.
Delivered 4/17/2009
Old 02-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #654
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Quote:
OK talk about customer service...

No more than 5 minutes after my first post today guess what show's up on my caller ID...Vararam Inc.

It was Patrick calling to address the fitment issue.
We also talked about the slight surging @ 1800 and he's sending out a 2.5" unit just in case it's doesn't work itself out. He's also going to send out a data logger to get information on the shorty headers.

I have complete confidence in Patrick and Vararam to make everything perfect.
So all you naysayers can add my name to the fanboy list.
Glad to hear.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

Old 02-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #655
Deeboe
Bowtie, FOR LIFE!!!!

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS SW/IOM Interrior
yeah partick is 1 cool dude, when you call him he gies you a intel brief about the cai. V-ram has excellent customer service, and is making one hell of a unit. Enjoy your new CAI!
2010 CGM SS/RS A6 (RIP)
one pissed SS right there!!!!
Deeboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #656
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
I'm wondering how long before my number is up......#143.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #657
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
This is with the 3" not tuned.
If I read that correctly, you're LTFT's are just under where they will throw a code. I know the Volant, with the powercore filter, guys were hitting -18 on theirs and throwing codes.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #658
cfcoates

Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM 2SS/RS
from the looks of this thread... if you weren't on the initial list, and just want to order an intake from VR's website... it could be quite a while. am i right? and about how long are we talking?
cfcoates is offline   Reply With Quote