Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #43
CLEAN

Drives: '19 Stingray '22 MB GLC 300
CAGS started in 1989 on the Corvettes, the first year of the 6 speed manual in any GM car. Fbodys got it it 93 w/ the introduction of the LT1/T56.

And while I can't speak from experience on the 5th gen Camaro, on every CAGS car I've had, including my current C6, only 2nd gear is locked out. You go to 4 because you're pulling down. Before I got my eliminator in, if 4 was too high a gear, when I felt it slip over, I just got in the habit of pushing up, and it will take 3rd w/ no issue at all.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #44
Trailbreaker77

Drives: 2010 Transformers Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocomo View Post
Best $14 I ever spent. Without it you will still hit that damn situation in traffic when you least expect it.
I agree 100% first mod I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
CAGS never interrupted me, because I wanted to shift that way, anyways.

Also...all you need to do is shift a bit early, or apply more throttle. The skip-shift eliminator is neat, but not worth the money and time to install when I could easily push my foot down a little more.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #45
ratlover

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS 6 speed
Michael, yes its under CAGS in efi live. The reverse lock out stuff is also in there. I would assume that's were it would be hiding in hp tuners.

According to what efi live says about my factory tune it takes
Min of 171 ECT
Max throttle of 13%
Max speed of 19 mph
Min speed of 1 mph
It takes ALL of these conditions to be met for it to call for it. If someone were to say set their ECT to 400 degrees then it would wait till it saw 400 degrees even if all the other variables were met

Edit: and now that I look again there isn't as much to play with as I thought. I appologize for making it sound like you had lotsa control over it. I looked at it long enough to turn it off lol if enough people decide they wish to alter their cags to be more agressive instead of just turning it off maybe efi live will supply the tables. Not sure on what hp tuners or anyone else offers.
ratlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #46
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATXLS3 View Post
SLP skip shift eliminator, $26 included shipping. I had seen them for $39 on other sites so $26 sounded good to me, goes in tuesday!
Yep this is the one I got !! not much of a issue but when just cruzing with the wife I drive a little slower and easier so it came up more often....Now its dosent seem like I miss shift... the long pause as you try and shift then you get it in 4th and bog down...
Old 05-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #47
American Muscle

Drives: #26 Tom Henry Racing 2010 1SS/LS3
Just got a skip shift elminator, the noise it makes when you try to shift into 2nd and it won't let you was all i needed to purchase one, not hearing that awful grinding ever again makes this feature more than worth it, plus now i get to shift how and when I want, which is why i got a manual in the first place
Old 05-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #48
ObseSSed

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 RJT
Thanks. Very informative. When driving around town I find I often skip shift first to third anyway. When CAGS locks me out of second, I find I can go to third just as easy and it avoids the lugging, which they ask us not to do during the break in period.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #49
Ciscovet
CiscoVet

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS/6mt Black
1 to 4 shift

Hey guys, a little mini rant this morning. I cannot stand this 1 to 4 shift. I have never had a car that did this. Is this strictly a GM thing? I personally don't understand how you can save gas by bogging down your motor doing 20 MPH. I could see shifting into 3rd but not 4th gear. I don't even hot rod my car anyway. The funny thing was I didn't even realize it was doing this until I read this in the forums and started paying attention to the DIC. I thought I was screwing up the shift. So for the longest time I would almost shift into 4th and then it would let me place it in second gear. I guess I'm going to pick up that connector to disable the 1-4 shift. Anyone recommend a particular one?
Ciscovet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #50
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Skip Shift Eliminator
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #51
gelboy1015

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, MKIII Supras
Yea, gets pretty annoying. I just shift into 4th real quick, then go to 3rd.
gelboy1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #52
Ringo
Politically incorrect

Drives: 2SS/RS
The first mod I did was the skip shift eliminator. Works perfectly, no 1-4 shifts any more!

Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #53
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
It lets me into 3rd just fine and if I just pause for a second, the skip shift nanny turns off and I can get it into 2nd. BUT I agree...a total PIA that keeps me in 1st longer than I would usually stay and probably costs me more gas than it is *supposed* to save.
mhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #54
ljstella
CAMARO FAN

Drives: 2007 Subaru Impreza
Its not just a GM thing though. I hear the Challenger has it. I don't know about the mustang though...
ljstella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #55
mutant chicken
Mutant Member

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '10 Mini , 07 Harley
It takes half a second to do, but if you just let the shifter go to the center "neutral" position for half a second, it thinks you are going to shift into 4th and you can go ahead and shift into 2nd. It's a bit of a pain and the skip shift eliminator would be much easier, but just a quick tip to get you through until it gets here... Personally I drive the car just hard enough that it usually doesn't come into play most of the time, but when it does I just show the car who is Boss ! : )

mutant chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #56
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Wait, what?!