Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #43
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
AFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOG View Post
Try using the tap shift. I never use anything else. (I know I don't have the V8 but I figure trying the tap shift would be a lot cheaper than the ding you're going to get on trade)

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wullger View Post
Have you tried driving around in S mode all the time? It doesn't eliminate the noise, but I -seem- to experience AFM kicking in less based on the areas/speeds that I usually drive.

At first when I bought my camaro it used to bother me just because it was there so I used tap shift to bring up the RPMs

I went to the dealer they wouldn't turn it off. I asked them about the Warranty. I asked them if I turned it off will that void my Warranty. They said only of it could be proven that that is what caused the problem. However, I never did turn it off, because what if.

The car would be slightly better if AFM was turned off. It would have a little more throttle response I think. There wouldn't be that little surge when it kicks into v-8 mode. Also you wouldn't hear the difference in the sound of the engine when it is in V-4 mode as compared with V-8 mode. Of course a V-4 lugging under a tiny bit of pressure at low RPMs sounds different than a V-8 at higher RPMs. Once you realize that then it is what it is.

Over time I learned to accept it or appreciate it for what it is. You can feel and hear the different sounds of the motor, but that's what a V-4 would sound like lugging it a little.

All of this is really no big deal at all on a stock camaro ss like mine. It is what it is, a little sound difference, and a little power difference.

I heard there was a software update for this if your car was produced before last Sept 2009 (???). I don't know if this is true..

Now if you start changing the exhaust, and you remove that big heavy thing in the middle, Well, now you have different sounds. The big heavy middle muffler/resinator, whatever it is, was probably designed to dampen that drone.

So if you are going to put headers and exhaust on you car you might just as well go a little further and just turn the AFM off or get it turned off. Problem solved. You don't have to go buy a whole new car.

It all comes down to if you want to drive an auto or a manual but AFM isn't that bad. When my car is paid for and out of warranty, or when I don't care any more, I'll just get a tuner and shut it off, until then it's really no big deal. Accept it and get over it.

You say you are going in with $2000 cash and losing two options. So you are at a $4700 loss. If you turn AFM with a tuner you could save $2000 and keep your two options. Maybe, just maybe, if your car did break, which it might not, then maybe they won't cover something, but you don't lose your whole warranty. So your $4700 savings could help pay for another whole crate L99 or even a crate LS3 that comes with a new warranty !

How about changing the rear end gears to the ones that come with the M6 (3.45;1 factory GM?) or even down to 3.73s ?? Then you will get more RWHP and maybe move that MPH when AFM kicks in down to 25 and 50 MPH instead of that 30MPH and 60MPH where you are experiencing it. You will still have AFM but if may not be operating at the speeds you normally drive. You can keep you warranty on most of your car, if not all of your car and make it quicker !

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto

Last edited by 2010 Bumblebee; 05-25-2010 at 03:25 PM.
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #44
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensjeff View Post
I think I'll take Lingenfelter's word that their warranty is not worthless. And they would be doing all the mods so everything they use is covered. Are you saying that you have an example of them not covering anything they install? I somehow doubt it.
My reply Quoted Axis, who was talking about the SC warranty, not the installer. No issues with warranties through shops like Lingenfelter or Hennessey. Just not worth it to pay the extra 2 or 3 hundred bucks to an installer who is selling a warranty from the part manufacturer. The good installers will advise you not to buy it.

It's like trying to collect from UPS for goods damaged in transit. Know anyone who has ever collected? Now, if you use say "The Box Store" to package and send your item, you stand a better chance of collecting from them on insurance.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #45
Black Friday
Purchased on Black Friday

Drives: 2010 Black SS Lingenfelter Camaro
I actually rented an L99 from Budget before I purchased and after 4 days of the AFM kicking on and off I told myself I would never get an automatic. Needless to say, I went LS3 and couldn't be happier. Sorry to hear you found out the hard way.:( Hope it works out for you.
LPE Twin Fuel Pump
Asanti 22" wheels
Borla Atak catback
Heavy duty half shafts
Hotchkis Track Pack Suspension
Auto Meter Dual Gauge Pod w/ Air/Fuel, Fuel Press.
ADM Boost Gauge
DSV D-Style Custom Steering Wheel

Painted stripes & clear by Piccione Paint
NLP Spoiler
GM GFX (front & sides)
Stainless Steel Roto-Fab CAI

Old 05-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #46
GRSCAMARO
RS 10 SS

Drives: 2010 ABM RS/2SS L99
I guess I better pay more attention to the car. I have not noticed the AFM kicking on or off. Passengers have not noticed either.

Best 1/4 Mile Run: 11/20/2010 SGMP 13.299 @ 106 mph (2.05s 60ft)
Mods to Date:
Painted Rally Stripes by Body's by Doug
ABM Painted Splash Guards & Engine Cover
Tinted Windows by Sunbusters
CAI Kit by Cold Air Inductions (installed at C5FestI)
GRSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #47
caddycruiser

Drives: Demo's
AFM + exhaust mods, beyond just something like a Corsa (one of the few that avoids noise issues with it) = problems, every time. There's a reason why it is the way it is stock, and things like a Corsa system are made the way they are.

Comes up on the trucks a lot too since so many want to jump right in & make the exhaust louder, only to forget why it is the way it is--tuned to silence out the AFM buzzes & rumbles. Of course the debate over AFM in the first place is a whole other issue.

Just have to know this going in. It's AFM & minor intake/exhaust mods, unless you can stand the extra noises, or it's tune the AFM off and have at it however you want.
caddycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #48
Ralph2u2

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Red Jewel
I don't hear it. All I hear is something "lopey" when I start my camaro. Very happy with the how the tune, tuned out all the crap that comes stock on the car.

Ralph2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #49
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg660 View Post
without AFM you still are no where close to getting the gas guzzler tax. i dont know why gm put it there in the first place. i guess it looked good on paper and to the people that think they are saying gas. the people that tuned it out say they lost 1 mpg
Right and wrong... It probably was done all on paper, but it IS why the Camaro didn't get the gas guzzler tax, period. Look at the Challenger, it got socked with the GGT but makes 21+ combined mpg. Read the law, anything under 22.5 mpg combined is slapped with a GGT.

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420f06042.htm

In fact, if your 2006 Charger is a 6.1L, it was subject to the GGT.

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420b06009a.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
This is the worst reason to take multiple thousands of dollars in loss I've ever heard. For the same loss of money, you could replace your entire exhaust again, tune out AFM, and be happy in your automatic. If you don't like a feature, it can be removed.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #50
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

Also if you tune out AFM you can do it gear by gear. I turned mine off in all gears except when in "D" 5th & 6th gear only. That way I get the best of both worlds....
I know what I'm getting next!

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:25 AM   #51
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
I am not a fan of paying extra taxes but it sounds like the gas guzzler tax may have been less than it is costing some people to get around the AFM. Maybe would have been better and easier to pay the tax and be done with it
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:33 AM   #52
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I'm thinking when the time comes, a tune is in order...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:47 AM   #53
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
I am not a fan of paying extra taxes but it sounds like the gas guzzler tax may have been less than it is costing some people to get around the AFM. Maybe would have been better and easier to pay the tax and be done with it
This is a very good point!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #54
Xander

Drives: ADM Built 740RWHP 2SS/RS
Get it tuned.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #55
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
BUY A V6 NO AFM
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:15 AM   #56
reefdiver

Drives: Cheverlot
That's funny!!!
reefdiver is offline   Reply With Quote