Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #71
BilJ

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
The washers I bought at the hardware store are the exact size of a nickel, but with a hole. Take a nickle in with you, and look for a washer tray labeled - rubber washers. You'll need 6.

Only needed if your spoiler is touching the decklid paint to paint. If you have a slight gap everywhere, no need to mess with it.

When you pop it off, you'll see the oe rubber washers are squished around the studs. Scrape those off and put in the new washers. Then when putting the nuts back on with loctite, watch the gaps and don't get the nuts so tight that it kills the gap. The loctite will hold the nuts, they don't need to be super tight. Magnetize your socket so you don't drop the nuts down in the trunk.

You'll need a trim tool to pop off the push in retainers on the trunk trim. I think 4 of the access holes just have rubber plugs over them. Then to get at the two inside holes, the trim need to be removed by popping out all the push pins with the trim tool. After all 6 nuts are off, carefully pull straight up. The spoiler will have one - push in - retainer still holding it to the decklid. Just pull carefully straight up and it will pop off. You have to be real carefull, you don't want the studs bouncing around the paint. Two hands - pull straight up.

When the 6 nuts are off, you'll wonder what is still holding it on. It's just needs to be firmly pulled straight up.
To get at the two bolts nearest to the center of the trunk lid, did you have to take the entire trunk lid trim piece off? Also, did you have to take the trunk latch off? My spoiler is touching the paint on the right-rear side so it definately needs to come off to add some washers. Problem is, I am still trying to determine how

to remove the spoiler. Many thanks.
BilJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #72
Hebe4

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS M6
Remove the 4 liner fasteners and pull off the plastic latch cover. You can now pull back the center part of the liner to get at the 2 spoiler nuts.
Attached Images

Hebe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:11 PM   #73
BilJ

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebe4 View Post
Remove the 4 liner fasteners and pull off the plastic latch cover. You can now pull back the center part of the liner to get at the 2 spoiler nuts.
OK, THANKS for the help. Tried what you said and got the two nuts off. I didn't know if the latch cover was bolted or screwed on but it popped right off. Now, on with the washers. Thanks again.
BilJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #74
CHEROB10

Drives: 2012 2LT Synergy
Update:

Dropped my car off at the dealership body shop yesterday. I called today to get an update and the shop manager said once they got my spoiler off they found more paint chipping. I did notice before I dropped it off that the clearance between the spoiler and trunk was alot tighter on the right side where the chipping occured rather than the left side. I made sure to tell the body shop manager I wanted a rubber washer installed and to be sure both sides of the spoiler have the same distance between the spoiler and trunk. I hope they get it right....We'll see what she looks like when I pick her up tomorrow afternoon.
CHEROB10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #75
BlackM6RS/SS

Drives: 2010 Black M6 RS/2SS
You have Red Stripes right? Mine does too and they were applied at the factory. I hope that goes well.
BlackM6RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #76
CHEROB10

Just picked my car up. It looks ok...we'll see how it goes in the next few months. Now I have to wash it and put another coat of wax on her this evening when it cools down. Glad to have her back!

Actually my stripes are orange.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #77
ssummit camaro

Drives: 2013 1LE on order TPW 12/31
so did they reuse they same rubber washers on the spoiler
Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #78
CHEROB10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssummit camaro View Post
so did they reuse they same rubber washers on the spoiler
No...they better not have. I told them I wanted new ones.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #79
RX SS RACERX

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS RJT
I'm not a paint guy-but don't you need to wait awhile before you wash and wax 'new' paint?! Just askin'-I don't know. I checked mine and she has a chip under the spoiler on the passenger side. Small,but it's there. Guess I'll make the call tomorrow and see what they say.
RX SS RACERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #80
CHEROB10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX SS RACERX View Post
I'm not a paint guy-but don't you need to wait awhile before you wash and wax 'new' paint?! Just askin'-I don't know. I checked mine and she has a chip under the spoiler on the passenger side. Small,but it's there. Guess I'll make the call tomorrow and see what they say.

I'm no paint expert either. My husband neglected to tell me this until I read your post. I did a quick wash but didn't wax it. Most of the new paint is up under the spoiler anyway.

Hope all goes well with yours
Old 09-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #81
ssummit camaro

Drives: 2013 1LE on order TPW 12/31
so they only painted the bad area and not the whole trunk lid
Old 09-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #82
CHEROB10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssummit camaro View Post
so they only painted the bad area and not the whole trunk lid
Correct....they just cut out the area that was chipped and repainted only that area. I figured they would have painted the entire trunk. I asked the shop manager if they were going to repaint the entire trunk lid...he said that they were only required to paint the area that was chipped, not the entire trunk lid.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #83
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
I've got the same problem on both sides

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #84
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphatgrant View Post
I've got the same problem on both sides

so much for it being an "early" production model problem...mine was built in may 2010 and still got the chip in less than 300 miles

Tags
chip, paint, spoiler