Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
dragon2368
Dragon2368

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Royal Purple is not GM6094M certified which is what they recommend. Furthermore look on the back of the bottle and see how many API tests your wonderful Royal Purple has passed?? None. They are not API certified and basically have just a great marketing campaign from day one.
Look at the back of the bottle on your oil and see how many API tests it has passed out of a total of 9.
Go back to a good high quality dino oil that is certified for use in your vehicle and make sure it passes as many API tests as possilble.
dragon2368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon2368 View Post
Royal Purple is not GM6094M certified which is what they recommend. Furthermore look on the back of the bottle and see how many API tests your wonderful Royal Purple has passed?? None. They are not API certified and basically have just a great marketing campaign from day one.
Look at the back of the bottle on your oil and see how many API tests it has passed out of a total of 9.
Go back to a good high quality dino oil that is certified for use in your vehicle and make sure it passes as many API tests as possilble.

WOW - This post should be a must read for everyone who is addicted to Royal Purple. THANKS for the heads up!!!!!!

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #17
dragon2368
Dragon2368

I have double checked and it looks like that the 5w-20 Royal Purple (which is the oil weight recommended for your Camaro but is still not GM6094M certified) has finally passed 1 certification test out of the total of 9. I apologize for the discrepancy but the last time I checked they had not had any certs from the API.
Granted not one oil passes all nine but many inexpensive oils pass between 4 and 7 different certs.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #18
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
Most engines that come using sythetic from the factory have been bench run on regular oil for ten thousand clicks. It allows everything to sync properly and seat up. Then they put in the synthetic. I personally wouldn't change to synthetic until I've hit the 10,000km mark or whatever the Mile equivalent is. Just my two cents.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #19
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I have personally heard several horror stories about RP... I read a post a while back here on Camaro5 from a race driver who said it was the worse oil he had ever used and would never put it in another car again...
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #20
dragon2368
Dragon2368

Be careful when switching from synthetics to dinos and be careful when switching brands of oils back and forth all together. Different additives in different oils should not be mixed. The main thing to watch for is foaming. Foam does not lubricate!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #21
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
The V6 comes from the factory with Dino oil not synthetic. Also GM has a new oil requirement starting with the 2011's. The oil has to meet DEXOS . So far the only oils that meet that requirement are Quaker State Ultimate and Pennzoil Platinum.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #22
Camarodriver

Drives: 1975 Camaro, 2010 2LT, 2011/2SSrs
Send a message via ICQ to Camarodriver Send a message via MSN to Camarodriver Send a message via Skype™ to Camarodriver
I was hearing a tick tick tick turning to a tack tack tack, I added oil as it was down about 1/2 quart. The sound was much less, but I was still concerned and brought it in. There was a spun bearing and the engine was dropped and taken completely apart. I have 6400 miles on it, GM is only repairing it. IT's been over 2 weeks, no Camaro. I ain't happy, it sucks bad. Do check your oil regularly!

eB

The perma-grin effect pictured above by a good buddy giving me a ride in my Camaro!
Used 75 Camaro = $3500
Rolling restoration over 10 years = $5000
$5 of gas burned in 10 seconds = Priceless!
Camarodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #23
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
SOrry to hear. At least it will be back to you soon and will be good as new!
Old 09-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #24
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Use Mobil One in mine.
no problems with the V6
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #25
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
run, don't walk away, from RP.
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #26
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
The V6 comes from the factory with Dino oil not synthetic. Also GM has a new oil requirement starting with the 2011's. The oil has to meet DEXOS . So far the only oils that meet that requirement are Quaker State Ultimate and Pennzoil Platinum.
...the addendum to the owner's manual does specify that if dexos oil (yes it's dexos not DEXOS) is not available, to revert to GM 6094 spec oil for the V6. No conventional oil is dexos certified, and likely won't be.
Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #27
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon2368 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post

WOW - This post should be a must read for everyone who is addicted to Royal Purple. THANKS for the heads up!!!!!!
The reason Royal Purple doesn't "Pass" the tests is due to it's higher zinc content that makes it a better oil. If the level is over a certain amount it doesn't pass because zinc is harmful to your catalytic converters and even though the chance of enough zinc coming from your cars oil is non existent it makes it fail to meet the requirements. Rather than reformulate they choose to loose the certification. Royal Purple is great stuff I have used it for years in all my vehicles. If after 11 years my truck hasn't blown up running it in it's engine, transmission, and rear end I wouldn't worry. At least about the royal purple.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #28
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
...the addendum to the owner's manual does specify that if dexos oil (yes it's dexos not DEXOS) is not available,
It Really is Dexos I:

From GM;
"Starting with 2011 vehicle production, GM no longer specifies Mobil 1® as the required oil for the above vehicles. A new oil specification called Dexos I has been created, which a variety of synthetic and synthetic blend motor oils meet.

Note: For additional information on available Dexos 1 oils, please refer to PI0175.

• 2011 vehicles equipped with DOHC V6 engines (RPO LF1 and LLT) are no longer built with Mobil I logo caps. These vehicles should be serviced in accordance with the Dexos I standard. "
zen is offline   Reply With Quote