Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
I would also consider talking to Jannetty Racing...he supports his stuff and tunes remotely...call him. I'd bet he would be glad to explain and help you decide
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo.kessler View Post
Apex, I do agree with you to find a competent shop but my goal was to get input from those who have done the swap and what they used to give me a first hand opinion to base a decision on. I only have money to do this once so I have to make sure.
Thanks for the help!
In all honesty the first thing to decide is what do you want your car to do? Do you want to race drag, auto X etc..... do you want a sound, or just more power. Once you determine what you want your car to do you will have a better idea of where to go with your cam.

Information is free, not all information is good though. You can search the forums and other sites and check out some shops.

I would recommend going to a few and getting your own Vibe on the shop. I can tell you Vengeance is great cause they did my work and I have had no issues but they may not be for you, which I highly doubt.

I'll give you an example of what I am talking about. Vengeance is owned my a former Army Dog 82nd Airborne. SO we had something in common.

When we talked about my cam he stated that I needed to change the oil pump????? I guess more money but I said ok not really knowing much about it, basically going on his word that the stock ones were, in his words "Junk" 3 or 4 months later I start seeing all these threads about low oil pressure and eventually GM puts a TSB out on a defective oil pump. SO what you say.

Here's the thing, since I modded my car my warranty was gone, if I had left the stock oil pump in and I lost oil pressure then the fix plus any damage repair would have been on me. Vengeance being proactive instead of reactive SAVED me alot of money, PLUS they use a 3 bolt cam which if you have seen a few 1 bolt cams that have had castrophic failures, again you pay.

My point being that a shop is really more important than the parts. A good shop will not do cheap work or use cheap parts, they have TOO much to lose, especially with the net. They usually do not rush you, are glad to let you talk with previous customers and really encourage it. It is a realtionship that you have to build on trust because you are basically giving the 35k + and saying don't screw it up.

As they use to say "10000 at a boys is messed up by one , OH SH**"
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
cwo.kessler

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Tunes Remotely? That would be huge for me! Like I said there are Zero shops on Maui that support any sort of power build. There isn't even a Dyno here...

Dr Jkel, good info man. My plans for the car are to keep it NA but add as much power as possible for the occasional track days. I know thats sounds funny that we have a 1/4 track here but no Dyno lol. Below is the list of mods I have budgeted for.
  • Kooks Complete Exhaust PN# 6511
  • CAI by CAI Part # 501-1099-10
  • Granatelli Coil Pack 28-0513CP
  • Granatelli Coil Wires 28-1811HT
  • CAM Swap
  • Custom Tune or Predator U7194
  • Possible gear and clutch change later on.
Thanks Again!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #18
Tshepp
Show & Go

Drives: '10 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7 View Post
TSP 231/236 with 411 gears

Uggghh still thinking about 4.10s...:(
Old 07-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Hello All,
I know this has been asked 100 times but I still cannot find the answer I have been looking for. What Cam/valve springs/push rods/lifters/rockers is the best set-up for a daily driver that I want to keep N/A and not kill the engine in a few years but still get good hp/tq gains. Money is not a factor in this decision, I want the best with the best support. The reason this is important is because I live on Maui and I will be doing the work myself. Other future mods will be a complete Kooks exhaust and a CAI from CAI. In short, help me build a beast N/A LS3!
Thanks in advance!
I already have 2 very Happy customers in HI.

I can set you up with a Cam and A Tune that is Drop in and Enjoy.

My newest Street Cam has Great Manners Sounds Killer and Makes pretty impressive numbers 470 RWHP 440 RWTQ with LT headers and CAI.

Maybe 10 less on your 92 octane.

Give me a call I will be happy to assist you in your Quest for a Real Muscle car.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #20
cwo.kessler

Thanks Ted, I will call you this week for sure!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #21
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Quote:
Tunes Remotely? That would be huge for me! Like I said there are Zero shops on Maui that support any sort of power build. There isn't even a Dyno here...

Dr Jkel, good info man. My plans for the car are to keep it NA but add as much power as possible for the occasional track days. I know thats sounds funny that we have a 1/4 track here but no Dyno lol. Below is the list of mods I have budgeted for.
  • Kooks Complete Exhaust PN# 6511
  • CAI by CAI Part # 501-1099-10
  • Granatelli Coil Pack 28-0513CP
  • Granatelli Coil Wires 28-1811HT
  • CAM Swap
  • Custom Tune or Predator U7194
  • Possible gear and clutch change later on.
Thanks Again!
While it's not much of my business, I would like to recommend a better alternative to the intake your using. I understand you likely looked at the dyno test on intakes and probably chose the cai on the numbers alone (what I almost did) but you'd make more power with a Vararam. I guarantee it. You cant get any better that true ram air.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #22
cwo.kessler

You are right Camarowguy, thanks for the heads-up I will check them out.