Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: If you were to add nitrous how big of a shot would you go on a LS3 w/CAM?
75 shot 0 0%
100 shot 4 57.14%
125 shot 0 0%
150 shot 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
haycosol1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
What are some of the risk with running nitrous?

Ok so its always an option and i am not the most knowledgeable person so i bring my question to the forum where there is a vast array of knowledge on here so i become schooled. So by having nitrous what are some of the risk that you have? Also does the perks of having it out weigh the negatives? thx
haycosol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
I have ran nitrous on my Harley Sportster that I built the engine to handle. I would never run it on an engine not capable of handling the extra stresses. Forged pistons, ring gaps checked, and whatever fuel method you chose it must be capable of handling the extra oxygen.

The risk is KABOOM! yep that's right, not done on the right platform and done correctly and checked regularly, it will end in a blown up engine. If you try to push more in than the engine can handle (stress again) it goes boom too. The bottle does run out though.

Positive = cheap horsepower. Strap a tank to you front downtube on a Sportster and you will get a lot of WTF looks and a huge conversation piece. It can be really fun to play with ummmm...at the drag strip

If your only impression of nitrous is from the movies like fast and furious, you will be disappointed in reality. It isn't like you see in the movies. It is impressive but not like the movies
Old 08-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Nitrous is good cheap fun. For the price of most exhaust systems you can have a kit installed properly with the proper safty features. LS motors respond well to nitrous and your stock motor can handle a healthy dose. The main thing with nitrous is fuel. If you're fuel system isn't up to par and you lean out (not enough fuel) you will blow your motor. We recomend staying under 150, the 100-125 range is usually a safe bet. The stock fuel system can handle that without being upgraded.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
cybergrayls3

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs..m6..CGM
I had a kit on my 4th gen...it was awesome. The risks are pretty much the same as any other power adder...you have to run the right plugs,have a good fuel system, and a good tune..also don't get greedy..I started off with a 75 shot...then went to a 100 shot...then before I knew it I had the 150 jets on it. I backed it down and kept it at a 100shot. Also its a little more expensive them just buying a kit once you throw in a fuel pump,window switch and other safety items it adds up. Also if it gets really hot outside the bottle pressure will go crazy high and then you can't use the nitrous until the pressure comes back down...these are all things that I learned after I installed my kit. The good is that you only use it when you want the power..when its off you never know its there..you can upgrade the kit for pretty cheap if you eventually build a motor and want to put a big shot on it...also not to sound like a ricer but its pretty funny to see someones face when they pull up next to you and start revving there stock cobalt SS and then you purge a 30ft plume of nitrous into the air. I don't have a kit yet on my 5th gen I want to do some other stuff first but eventually I will put a kit on it
-CAI cold air intake (black)/Apex scoop
-LSR shifter
-Rick Crawford intake manifold
-Monster level 3 clutch
cybergrayls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
haycosol1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
Vey nice info thx for the input
haycosol1 is offline   Reply With Quote