Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #43
ECCamaro
High Desert Camaro Man

Drives: White Convertible-Tan Top 2SS V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivko View Post
I live in a place where winter is really winter. We have -6 C (21 degrees F), and 2 feet snow. I am still driving my Peugeot 206cc as a normal car. If you have a big garage, OK, get the cloth, but as I do not, I have a normal car.

As to your concerns about the trunk space, I have 420 liters (15 cubic feet) when closed, which is quite big. When I open the top, I will have to limit myself with the luggage to 270 liters (9.5 cubic feet). But i stll have two small back seats that I can use for luggage. So no big drama there.

Peugeot were the first to build a modern hard top convertible, and all the European producers followed. Why do you think that is?

I would get a hard top camaro convertible over here in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
If they can retrofit a new Mustang they sure as hell can do a Camaro. GM you watching? You listening to us. Maybe this is the route you need to go instead of trying to fix all the problems with our soft tops. Me wants!!!
I could not agree more!

ECCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #44
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
I think I would rather live with rub marks than make my car look hideous with the top up.

LOL at the gap between the windows.

SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #45
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

If you are going to do this to the rear seats, why not just delete them? It looks like the rear seat passengers are literally leaning forward when they sit back.

If you look at the pics in my last post, it looks like you have ZERO head room in the rear seats with the top up.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #46
JAustin

Drives: (sold) 2011 2LT/RS auto, SW/tan top
Sign me up, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenIndy500 View Post
Let’s not forget about the looks folks. I think the 5th Gen rag top is the best looking soft top I have ever seen. Going to a retractable hard top, the vert would lose the special roof line and look that GM worked so hard to maintain.
A hardtop Camaro convertible wouldn't necessarily have to sacrifice the current look or sport unattractive roof lines. And anyone who is concerned about incremental weight (drag racers?) should probably consider a couple, instead, anyway.

On the other hand, rubbing and marring issues are not exclusive to Camaro convertibles; some folding hardtop designs have suffered the same problems ... and they're much worse on a painted hardtop!

I've owned three hardtop convertibles, a Mercedes SL and 2 SSRs. Got rid of the SL due to the lack of trunk space with the top down. The SSRs have loads of cargo space, top up or down, but that's a totally different design.

One of the drawbacks of going to the Camaro convertible was returning to limited trunk space with the top down, but having a back seat compensates somewhat. Most likely, a folded convertible hardtop would eat into the trunk space even more than the soft top, but it would be worth it to me.

The retrofit Mustang shows that it can be done, and the roof lines look great IMO. The best of all worlds to me would be the availability of both soft and hard convertible tops, like the Chrysler Sebring/200 (which is about the only good feature they have).
JAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #47
JAustin

Drives: (sold) 2011 2LT/RS auto, SW/tan top
Hold on a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
I think I would rather live with rub marks than make my car look hideous with the top up. LOL at the gap between the windows. If you are going to do this to the rear seats, why not just delete them? It looks like the rear seat passengers are literally leaning forward when they sit back.
Beauty's in the eye, and to each his own. Personally, I like the roofline of the hardtop convertible Mustang shown here than the factory fastback version. I also like the lines of the Camaro coupe top much more than the convertible top (but I bought the convertible because the top goes down).

Also, it's clear from the video that the windows seal completely. It appears that the rear windows were "cracked" a bit in the still photo, to allow a little ventilation.

As for the back seats, I actually agree with you. In fact, I wish there was a "back seat delete" option on the Camaro convertible (or an aftermarket solution). I don't have any backseat passengers, and I'd love to be able to convert that area to a covered, locking storage compartment!
JAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #48
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
That back seat is fine for short cruises with 4 people. Who takes 4 people on a long drive in there convertible? Not me. I don't like the angle of the rear seat though. Then again, the Camaro is a bigger car and I would hope it wouldn't shrink that much. There was no seat room in the back of my 95 Firebird and having the Camaro is like having a stationwagon in room back there.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #49
edhjohnb

Drives: 1967 RS Coupe, 2011 LT2 Convertible
Hardtop Convertible

Assuming it wouldn't change the lines and looks of the car (and that may be a HUGE assumption) I would be all for a hard top for my vert.

To me, the rear seats already have extremely limited usability, as does the trunk, so I'm not sure what would be sacrificed besides extra weight. But as one poster pointed out, what if they made it out of carbon fiber? That might look good with my red jewel tintcoat!

Don't misunderstand me...I love my vert and I do like its looks both with the top up and down, but it would be nice to see another option. Anybody know why none of the SEMA guys have come up with an aftermarket version???

1967 Marina Blue Rally Sport
2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat Convertible
edhjohnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #50
Gio Bella

Drives: Camaro 2SS Convertible,blk,blk int
Hi Guy's and Gal's

I'm a newbee here and after buying my 2011 SS Trip Blk(new) the day before Christmas, I test drove more convertibles than I can remember with 4 different dealerships before buying mine. I live in Connecticut where we had a very mild winter this year.
I had my top down at least 15 times so far, no wrinkles, no gaps, no rub marks of any kind. But after reading all these horror stories, I'm a little unnerved to say the least. I love the look of the black rag top but I don't want my top to start having all the problems the other forum member's are having so I would be all in for a hard top convert. I do have a few questions though, because my car isn't driven everyday and I store it in a heated (winter) and cooled (summer) garage, do you think that makes a difference with the wrikles and wear marks?

Thanks for your patience with the newbee
Gio
Gio Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #51
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio Bella View Post
I do have a few questions though, because my car isn't driven everyday and I store it in a heated (winter) and cooled (summer) garage, do you think that makes a difference with the wrikles and wear marks?
Nope. If it's going to get wear marks and wrinkles, it's going to get wrinkles and wear marks. They happen from having the top down. Don't worry about it too much, just enjoy your car.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #52
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
All soft tops get wrinkles and wear marks. I look at every vert I see because of the crap I've been thru. I pulled up next to a new porsche and the top looked no better than mine. It is the nature of the beast. Holes being worn thru are a different story as are the broken bows but that is another story.
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote