Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #43
4RD H8R
Beating 5.0's since 1988

Drives: 2010 RS SS M6
Looks sharp!!!

Beating the crap out of my Camaros for 23+ years 1973, 1970 1/2, 1979, 1968, 1971, 2010
4RD H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #44
big-geek!
Virgil, Satan's Camaro

Drives: White 2010 Camaro SS
Looks like a champ. And now runs like one too.
White 2010 Camaro SS/RS - HPS Front Mount Turbo System, Custom Turbo Cam, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 80lb injectors, Eibach Front/Rear Swaybars, BMR Tower Brace, Eibach 1" Drop Springs, Drilled-Slotted rotors, Foose Legend SS wheels, Bluetooth Module, PDIM and Steering wheel controls, Prosport EVO Pillar Gauges 635rwhp/735rwtq
big-geek! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #45
Mirror D

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RD H8R View Post
Looks sharp!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-geek! View Post
Looks like a champ. And now runs like one too.
Though I do have to say...you two need lessons on washing your cars.

This is not an acceptable wash mitt when washing your vehicles.

Mirror D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #46
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror D View Post
Though I do have to say...you two need lessons on washing your cars.

This is not an acceptable wash mitt when washing your vehicles.

What's wrong with that?
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #47
Mirror D

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
What's wrong with that?
If there is nothing wrong with it, then as soon as your car is done I will make sure to buy a brand new clean one at Home Depot too use on your vehicle. Cool?
Mirror D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #48
big-geek!
Virgil, Satan's Camaro

Did I just get my ass chewed? hehehe
White 2010 Camaro SS/RS - HPS Front Mount Turbo System, Custom Turbo Cam, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 80lb injectors, Eibach Front/Rear Swaybars, BMR Tower Brace, Eibach 1" Drop Springs, Drilled-Slotted rotors, Foose Legend SS wheels, Bluetooth Module, PDIM and Steering wheel controls, Prosport EVO Pillar Gauges 635rwhp/735rwtq
Old 04-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #49
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror D View Post
If there is nothing wrong with it, then as soon as your car is done I will make sure to buy a brand new clean one at Home Depot too use on your vehicle. Cool?
Cool I can alWays use an extra
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #50
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Cool car...love the power but those stickers have to go.....

Mirror D......do you do mobile detailing? If so PM me details as I need someone to go over my car from front to back as it's been sitting up at Vengeance for about 12 years....ok maybe only since October but it feels like 12 years.

RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #51
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
lose the stickers for sure. that car is a very sweet looking sleeper car. it looks stock which will be good for the next unsuspecting soul. lol
Old 04-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #52
big-geek!
Virgil, Satan's Camaro

How does that one know me so well??
Old 04-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #53
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
Cool car...love the power but those stickers have to go.....

Mirror D......do you do mobile detailing? If so PM me details as I need someone to go over my car from front to back as it's been sitting up at Vengeance for about 12 years....ok maybe only since October but it feels like 12 years.

John says we are putting a BIG STICKER on the back of his car just for you to see @ the track.

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #54
big-geek!
Virgil, Satan's Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-HPS View Post
John says we are putting a BIG STICKER on the back of his car just for you to see @ the track.

Chris
Old 04-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #55
big-geek!
Virgil, Satan's Camaro

Reunited and it feels so good. Virgil is home.

My car has passed the event horizon and returned a very different animal.
Just as a lion tamer with a new cat first needs to get acquainted in order to coerce it into doing what’s expected, I too need to get reacquainted with my car.

My first impression was a little apprehension with a lot of excitement. The feeling of apprehension is because this is my first Forced Induction application. Of course if you are reading this you already know the theory behind FI, but it’s not until we actually warm up to a turbocharged or supercharged car do we really understand how it changes the driving experience. So, at startup, the car had a smooth 800-900rpm idle, and the stuff coming out the back end sounded nearly identical as it did with LT headers, CAI, and Magnaflow axle-back.

I've been on a couple short trips around town since Chris delivered the car to me. It is very mild mannered when not in boost and acts just as you would expect a mild cam in an LS3 would. Very slight lobe at idle and since the clutch is still stock I'm familiar with its feel of engagement so around town driving was smooth, quiet, and uneventful.

The power... OH the POWER! At around 3000rpm the boost starts and pours in like an avalanche at 3200rpm. The car lurches forward as if it wants to jump out of its own skin which has the unexpected driver (as I was) scrambling to get the car into 2nd and 3rd before slamming into redline. I mentioned I was still driving on the stock clutch. It’s at this point it becomes very clear that the stock clutch just will NOT handle the power and torque being dished out by the now well fed LS3. The stock clutch can be felt slipping through to 3rd gear as it strains to pass the power to the driveline. Fortunately I have one on order and it should arrive any day. If you think you will get this system and let the stock clutch last a little while before replacing it, then lets be sure to define what "a little while" actually is. In this case a little while means it will probably hang in there through the dyno pulls but that’s about all its going to be good for. Once the clutch is replaced with one that can hang, the only thing I could ask for in that department is the ability to shift from 1st through 3rd faster and smoother but that will come as I get more acquainted with the dynamics of my well fed motor.

I will be driving to Orlando next Monday for a final meeting before beginning my journey to the far east. So it will be taken on a nice long drive from Pensacola to Orlando and back again. I'll be closely monitoring things and let you all know how the kit (and car) is holding up. So far, I'm very happy with the results. Thanks Chris and HPS.

Craig
Old 04-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #56
partymn

Drives: 2014 1ss 1LE
Congrats Craig

I am, like most, eagerly awaiting your trip and another review. I am confident that the next review will be a very good one. Interesting thing about your clutch, hopefully mine will hold up a little better with a bit of reduced RWHP and TQ due to the stock cam. I wander if there was some slipage on the dyno that might have scued your numbers a bit, might get a bit more HP to the wheels with the more aggressive clutch. Good luck on your trip and stay safe.