Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #29
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
On the original topic, the fact that you have a cam and tune does not make GM not liable for their warranty. The bottom line is their defective oil pump trashed your motor. When mine went up, it had a cam, superchager, headers, and tune. They still offered to fix it if I took it back to stock first (obviously did not happen).
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #30
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
On the original topic, the fact that you have a cam and tune does not make GM not liable for their warranty. The bottom line is their defective oil pump trashed your motor. When mine went up, it had a cam, superchager, headers, and tune. They still offered to fix it if I took it back to stock first (obviously did not happen).
Interesting. Should the known output shaft issues of early build TR-6060's be covered under warranty with a Cammed Car? A buddy was just recently denied(not just by his local dealership) when his recently snapped.:( Believe they are saying the extra power did it however they have been known to break on stock cars.
Like 2SS45th said here, if you Cam a car what does it hurt by putting in for example a Melling? Don't cost much. OP sorry to go OT Hope its back on the Road soon.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #31
spacecowby

Drives: 2010 black 2SS/RS
Wow this took a weird turn. Ya I wish I had changed out the oil pump when I did this but not enough research on my part and my installer didn't recommend it. I was going to go with some TSP heads but they are out of the ones I wanted. Not sure which ones I'll go with now, and I went with TSP 231/236 cam.

Black cars are not hobbies, they are an obsession
spacecowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #32
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
From what I've heard, MAST black label heads are nice, but pricey. Secondly, did your installer ever mention upgrading your oil pump? If not, you might tell him he should start. Talk to GM, it sounds like they still might help you out too.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #33
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
cam bearing spun in the block,,, this cant be fixed with just replacing the bad bearing,, the block will be damaged from from the bearing spinning,,, no easy fix,
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #34
SSinisterLS3

Drives: 07 C6 LS2
I love the people who argue "I'm never buying american again." You bought a camaro. You didn't buy american. NOTHING ON THIS CAR IS MADE HERE! It's all imported. My Suzuki motorcycle has more american parts on it than my SS. Check it. Honda Civics are assembled and parts are made here. The only thing american about american cars is the corporation receiving the profits is stationed here. SOOOO.....ends that argument.

If the oil pump bothers you THAT much...just go buy another oil pump. End of the day, it's a machine. A mechanical device. Mechanical devices fail. It happens. You fix it, or you have a warranty to have others fix it. Pick a side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
I think most of the oil pump failures have been on cammed cars, and when they aren't GM fixes the issue. No wrong doing there. And, if you're cammed, you should buy an aftermarket pump; you have to pay to play.
BIIIIINNNNNGGGGGOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #35
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowby View Post
Wow this took a weird turn. Ya I wish I had changed out the oil pump when I did this but not enough research on my part and my installer didn't recommend it. I was going to go with some TSP heads but they are out of the ones I wanted. Not sure which ones I'll go with now, and I went with TSP 231/236 cam.
If you can't afford Mast I would recommend WCCH or LPE. Also, factor in getting back 400-500 dollars for your old heads if you go with Mast. I sold my old stock heads for 500 dollars.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #36
VADER SS L99

GM employes more than 77k US citizens. Thats more than Honda and Toyota combined. When you buy American you are securing more American jobs and paying more Americans for that car than any foreign brand. It doesnt matter where all the pieces are assembled. The more you buy foreign the more foreign jobs you are securing and the more you are helping that foreign economy.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #37
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSinisterLS3 View Post
I love the people who argue "I'm never buying american again." You bought a camaro. You didn't buy american. NOTHING ON THIS CAR IS MADE HERE! It's all imported. My Suzuki motorcycle has more american parts on it than my SS. Check it. Honda Civics are assembled and parts are made here. The only thing american about american cars is the corporation receiving the profits is stationed here. SOOOO.....ends that argument.

If the oil pump bothers you THAT much...just go buy another oil pump. End of the day, it's a machine. A mechanical device. Mechanical devices fail. It happens. You fix it, or you have a warranty to have others fix it. Pick a side.

BIIIIINNNNNGGGGGOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its not even about where its made. lol.American people are in charge. If there is a problem, why not put the never fail aftermarket pumps everyone seems to be talking about.GM would save money, and also we would be less pissed. the only possibility is its cheaper to do what they are doing.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #38
SSinisterLS3

Drives: 07 C6 LS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
GM employes more than 77k US citizens. Thats more than Honda and Toyota combined. When you buy American you are securing more American jobs and paying more Americans for that car than any foreign brand. It doesnt matter where all the pieces are assembled. The more you buy foreign the more foreign jobs you are securing and the more you are helping that foreign economy.
Nice google quote. Really. You are missing the point. How many jobs has GM outsourced? There's parts from Germany, France, Canada, and even Mexico in these cars. Sure, GM employs more people....just for assembly. The parts are still stamped with "Made in China." That's tax dollars given for import on the product. Then the out sourcing of jobs to plants over seas. The question isn't how many americans GM employs. It's how many NON americans they employ. Of those 77,000 workers...think total. That's salesman, dealership employees, service techs, corporate, and GM ALSO has a credit company under them as well to manage. Not that many when you think about it. You can't "buy american" when your stuff reads "built in Mexico, China, France, Germany, Canada, etc." Buying american means 100 percent of proceeds go straight to the american economy. Obviously that isn't happening or we would have never hit a recession. American workers just put the stuff together for GM. It's all made and manufactured elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
Its not even about where its made. lol.American people are in charge. If there is a problem, why not put the never fail aftermarket pumps everyone seems to be talking about.GM would save money, and also we would be less pissed. the only possibility is its cheaper to do what they are doing.
Well, they haven't lost money on it. Otherwise it would be a recall....not a TSB. There is a TSB for the arm rest moving. There is a TSB for the floor mats sliding. Every customer complaint that is "a little higher than uncommon" goes into a TSB. They didn't lose money on this. The problem is nothing is fail safe. That's my point. I was thinking if it would give you peace of mind....go with aftermarket. I know if I cammed this thing, I would take every precaution possible...including an aftermarket pump to be SURE the engine is right.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #39
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSinisterLS3 View Post

Well, they haven't lost money on it. Otherwise it would be a recall....not a TSB. There is a TSB for the arm rest moving. There is a TSB for the floor mats sliding. Every customer complaint that is "a little higher than uncommon" goes into a TSB. They didn't lose money on this. The problem is nothing is fail safe. That's my point. I was thinking if it would give you peace of mind....go with aftermarket. I know if I cammed this thing, I would take every precaution possible...including an aftermarket pump to be SURE the engine is right.
they lose money on A camaro if the pump fails and they need to replace a motor. of course thats not always the out come.

i already have done a cam swap, i have stock pump. its not like i can just switch it out.

well i put my car away from winter,i think i just need a break from camaro5, it stresses me out thinking about this. now when i get into my bmw i could care less about anything for the winter.

be back in a few months..
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #40
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Is this like when the president says he created all those tens of thousands of jobs?
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #41
VADER SS L99

No. Before 2008 it was more like 100k. Fact of the matter is everytime you buy a foreign car you are having more foreign people build it, design it, market it, ect.. and are taking more US jobs away because of that. Because of this the amount of laid off US personal and closed american plants keeps rising. Thats why the 77k jobs used to be many many more. And no the 77k figure does not count dealerships, sevice and tech department. The plant that my father worked at here in OK is no more because of the direct result of this. He moved to MO, but many of his friends were not so lucky. I can promise everyone that the more you buy american the more you help the american economy. It is a fact. Look it up if you dont believe me
Old 10-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #42
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
American is someone from the USA as in United States Of "America"

Same as Canadian is someone from Canada and Mexican is someone from Mexico.

All three are on the North American continent ,but not the same countries.

I can't believe how many people don't understand Geography. it's learned in grade school.

Guess I was too busy studying Math and Science , you know those things you need to know to become an engineer. But you are wrong.

American(s) may refer to: